Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 assist fault, no volume

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 assist fault, no volume

I know there are many threads and issues with this. I have no volume with the 911 assist fault/see dealer. I've tried master reset many times, battery cable disconnect, etc. Finally took it to the dealer and they said it is the DSP digital signal processor. 400+ for part 400 labor. I'm sure I can change the part, but I don't trust this is the issue, don't want to buy it and not be able to return it.
Any experts know about this, I cant find out where it is. 2013 f150 4x4 crewcab eco boost. thanks, any help?
Old 07-23-2015, 09:19 AM

Anybody know where this part is located?
Old 07-23-2015, 03:58 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Every electronic device in the truck is a DSP. Within the radio its not a user serviceable part. It would mean replacing the whole radio. Sync has its own seperate module that sits behind the radio. But if there were anything wrong with that than you would still be able to listen to FM or AM radio. Some trucks have an external amp. I am not sure if there is a specific way to tell if you have one without removing the radio. Maybe someone else knows? I do know that if you have the subwoofer under the rear seat or the small "hifi" speakers in the A and B pillers then you do.

First step (Dont assume the dealer did it.) Check the fuses. There may be more than on inside and out. If you have an external amp it will likely have its own fuse. So check them all.

Second step is to check through all the settings in the radio and make sure something is not misconfigured.

Third is to remove the radio and figure out for sure if you have an external amp. If you do then you might try bypassing it and see if your radio works. If it does your amp is bad. If it does not your radio is bad.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:08 PM

I kind of forgot the 911 fault. Do you have any ABS or airbag lights on steady or flashing.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:24 PM

I do have the sub woof under rear seat. No abs or airbag lights, everything is normal. The radio works as far as seeing stations, see the songs on the Sirius stations, just no volume. I did pull the Sync fuse and look at it, but need to check to see if there is an amp fuse.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:28 PM

Received 168 Likes on 156 Posts

Is your phone paired to sync and working ok, besides the 991 assist?
Old 07-23-2015, 06:31 PM

Ok, so a 911 assist fault would suggest that the airbag module is not communicating with sync. Or sync is not recognizing it. No MIL or airbag light means your airbag module is working. so the problem is likely the sync module. I would check all the connections to it before replacing it.

Dealers have the tools to test module communication. Hunt around and try to find one that knows what they are talking about.

That being said its a tedious job and expensive part. Its not hard. Just lots of plastic and connectors to remove. It should be covered under warranty also. If they say no ask where it states its not covered.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:48 PM

I've deleted phones, Bluetooth off, etc. I did read where a guy had no volume somewhere and he said his amp had come disconnected. Where is the amp, under the console? DSM in the same area? I'm guessing this is a different part from the APIM module?

Thanks for the input.......H-60 helo tech? I'm an AMT for Fedex
Old 07-23-2015, 07:58 PM

I did find some articles stating My Ford Touch's warranty has been extended to 5 years unlimited mileage, so I will be calling the dealership in the morning!
Old 07-23-2015, 08:32 PM

Received 168 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by skeon
I've deleted phones, Bluetooth off, etc. I did read where a guy had no volume somewhere and he said his amp had come disconnected. Where is the amp, under the console? DSM in the same area? I'm guessing this is a different part from the APIM module?

Thanks for the input.......H-60 helo tech? I'm an AMT for Fedex

Yeah, helicopter's here for 32 years, just retired in April, (for the last time)
I loved it, but cant do it anymore. You doing maintenance on the big fixed wing guys?

Quick Reply: 911 assist fault, no volume