Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6R80 Trans Fluid Level Questions

Old 06-27-2017, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6R80 Trans Fluid Level Questions

I recently dropped the trans pan and replaced the filter on my 2011 5.0, and I have a few questions on the fluid level.

First, the dipstick has two hash marks, A and B. Which one am I supposed to use? I'm seeing conflicting reports on this.

Second, should the fluid level be all the way in the hash marks while idling in park and hot? When I check the level while it's hot (165-170 F) and idling, the fluid level isn't all the way up to the hash marks. As soon as I shut the truck off (still hot) and check it again, it is in the A hash marks.

Finally, if it needs more fluid, should I add it when it's idling hot, until it reaches the hash marks? Am I going to blow the transmission if I drive while it's a little low?
Old 06-27-2017, 09:48 PM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

You have to check it with the engine running which requires a heat glove to prevent being burnt by the catalytic converter. If the transmission temperature is cold then use the first mark. If it's already to operating temperature use the second mark.
The following users liked this post:
robotsneedhugs2 (06-28-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 09:51 PM

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

The band marked A is for the fluid level when the transmission is cold. The band marked B is for when the transmission is at operating temperature (190-200 degrees). Ford recommends checking the level while the transmission is at operating temperature, but it is difficult with a hot cat right near the dipstick. The truck must be idling and on a flat surface when you check the fluid to get the correct level.

I've never thought about when to add fluid. I've always added fluid with the engine off, transmission hot and cold. You shouldn't have a problem driving around with your fluid level a little low as you described.
The following users liked this post:
robotsneedhugs2 (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 10:40 AM

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by robotsneedhugs2
I recently dropped the trans pan and replaced the filter on my 2011 5.0, and I have a few questions on the fluid level.

First, the dipstick has two hash marks, A and B. Which one am I supposed to use? I'm seeing conflicting reports on this.

Second, should the fluid level be all the way in the hash marks while idling in park and hot? When I check the level while it's hot (165-170 F) and idling, the fluid level isn't all the way up to the hash marks. As soon as I shut the truck off (still hot) and check it again, it is in the A hash marks.

Finally, if it needs more fluid, should I add it when it's idling hot, until it reaches the hash marks? Am I going to blow the transmission if I drive while it's a little low?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uQe11789HsQ

I have welding gloves and welding sleeves I use to check the fluid next to the cat while running.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by WXman
You have to check it with the engine running which requires a heat glove to prevent being burnt by the catalytic converter. If the transmission temperature is cold then use the first mark. If it's already to operating temperature use the second mark.
Do I need to add the fluid while it's running so it doesn't overflow?
Old 06-28-2017, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by robotsneedhugs2
Do I need to add the fluid while it's running so it doesn't overflow?
Yes and that's the only part of the job that's hard. I put 4-5 quarts in with engine off. Then when it starts to run over, start the engine and put the remaining 3 quarts in.

I did mine using a cheap hand pump from the auto parts store.

Use ONLY Mercon LV fluid. I bought a case off Amazon for $70.

You did a good thing by replacing the $20 filter inside the trans. I don't know why some guys think the engine oil filter only lasts 10,000 miles but the trans. filter will live forever.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:08 PM

Yes and that's the only part of the job that's hard. I put 4-5 quarts in with engine off. Then when it starts to run over, start the engine and put the remaining 3 quarts in.
I'll fill it until it runs a little over while it's cold and off (I think that's what I did before), then start the engine so the oil gets moving in there and add three more quarts. Then I'll check the level while it's cold, wait for it to warm up, then check again and adjust accordingly.

Thank you! I must have forgot to add the extra three quarts afterward when I originally did this.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I changed mine at like 42,000 and took out about 6-6.5 quarts and changed the filter, cleaned the pan and added back the same. Checked it cold and on the A level, when hot I could not get an accurate reading due to the hot cat. Since then ford replaced my short block at 52,000 and I need to do a recheck from that job. It shifts smooth and great so I think its ok, but will check it cold again.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Koolponycar
I changed mine at like 42,000 and took out about 6-6.5 quarts and changed the filter, cleaned the pan and added back the same.
Lots of guys do this and the issue is you are assuming the trans was properly filled to begin with, which isn't always the case. Factories do make mistakes.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:40 AM

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Lots of guys do this and the issue is you are assuming the trans was properly filled to begin with, which isn't always the case. Factories do make mistakes.
Very true. Makuloco the ford tech has done some videos on this and that is about how much he says should come out by just dropping the pan, but yes you should check the level on the stick because it holds a lot more than this, I think about 12-13 quarts, maybe you could post the total amount for sure. I did check mine with the cold mark showing it full. I could not get the hot accurate due to the hot cat. It would be bad and if it was already misfiled or low and you left out the other quarts, I agree. My dealer just replaced my SB for the cylinder issue and was suppose to top off the trans as some fluid was lost on the install of the new SB. I am going to have them recheck it again too while its hot. Ok I see where you added about 8 quarts, is this the max for the torque convertor an all?

Last edited by Koolponycar; 06-30-2017 at 11:45 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6R80 Trans Fluid Level Questions