Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 month old truck...scratched windsheild

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 05:32 PM
Zax
♫♪ I Hold On ♫♪

Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts

Default 6 month old truck...scratched windsheild

My truck is 6 months old. I don't go off road or anything. I BABY this truck..but my windshield is scratched up pretty bad and I don't know why! Its like I glued gravel to my wipers and let them go on high for a few seconds or something. IS there any way to fix that? It's the soundscreen, and I've heard they scratch easy..but can you buff it out or something?
Old 09-12-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

If it's scratched there's not much you can do. You can try a glass polish to maybe reduce the appearance of them but they'll always be there
Old 09-12-2014, 07:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Dont feel bad my truck was built less than six months ago and ive already got a crack on the passenger side from the top about a foot long. Never even got a chip in my b4000 windshield and it got ran pretty hard.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:35 PM

Received 175 Likes on 112 Posts

My windshield got nailed by a big rock about 2 months after I bought my truck. I had it plugged almost instantly and it held for a while. Then one day I came out to the truck and it had jumped all over the place.

I had to pay out of pocket for a new Soundscreen windshield. I found an indy shop that replaced it with the same factory glass for $300. Then I reduced my insurance deductible down to $100.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:50 PM
Zax
♫♪ I Hold On ♫♪

Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts

If I would have to replace it that's fine I guess. not ideal but I would. My insurance would cover it, I would only be out $100.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:44 PM

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

I received mine while it was raining. 2 days later on a dry day in sun I saw a deep scratch that looks like a diamond was stuck to the wiper blade on delivery.
Since I never saw it when receiving the truck I gave up on bringing it up with my dealer.
Living in northern British Columbia it is a short life for a windshield, I get mine next week. I'll be lucky to see November without a crack.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:25 PM

Received 232 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by dcfluid
I received mine while it was raining. 2 days later on a dry day in sun I saw a deep scratch that looks like a diamond was stuck to the wiper blade on delivery.
Since I never saw it when receiving the truck I gave up on bringing it up with my dealer.
Living in northern British Columbia it is a short life for a windshield, I get mine next week. I'll be lucky to see November without a crack.
Why is that? Is it the roads ?
Old 09-12-2014, 09:47 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldsmuggler
Why is that? Is it the roads ?
Yes. It is the stuff put on the roads out here (and probably Alaska) in winter. They have to put down aggregate mix for traction because it gets too cold for salt. The salt brine just freezes. Can count on about a 2-year lifespan for a windshield in Alberta.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I go through at least one windshield a year here in northern Alberta. It's a combination of the pea sized gravel they put on the roads and the thousands of big rig trucks coming off the oil lease roads that are driven by guys too stupid or lazy to sweep and clean off their rigs. Never mind the gravel trucks with loads above the box line and now tarping over top even though they have it on the truck. Next big one I get, I'm following the guy and calling him in to Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:44 PM

Received 157 Likes on 124 Posts

My FX4's soundscreen window has about 7 chips in it..... all from normal commuter highways and not the crap I put my work trucks through...... and al those chips accumulated in about 3 months time. One I didn't see at the seal edge has now cracked down into my vision. Thanks Alberta lol.

Needless to say I won't put another "Soundscreen" window in the truck...... my aftermarket cheapies hold up better than that.

Quick Reply: 6 month old truck...scratched windsheild