Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 disc cd changer

Old 06-20-2009, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 disc cd changer

My truck came with the 6 disc cd changer option, which I will never use. I was wondering if it is possible to remove and swap with the single cd unit? I would like to do this and swap for a single disc plus some cash if it is possible. Anybody have any ideas?
Old 06-20-2009, 11:37 AM
sig

It could probably be done but you may loose other features as well. I think that the satellite radio and sync are not available on the single cd changer. So if you have those features then you might not want to get rid of it.

I doubt that you will be able to get much cash for it ether. If people want to upgrade then they will most often go with a better after market unit. The people who don't want a true after market unit will want it installed, and will probably just get it done at ford.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:39 PM

Received 256 Likes on 146 Posts

Seconded. Trying to rip the CD changer out of the dash is going to be WAY not worth the time and effort, and you definitely would not come out ahead.

Sirius is standard on FX4 and Lariat. SYNC is an option regardless, I don't think either has anything to do with the CD changer.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:12 PM

yea the changer has nothing to do with sync. It probably is to much work to yank out, just figured if it was something I wasnt going to use, I could swap it out and get a little cash and get somebody a good deal on a 6 disc.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:44 PM

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

I think it would be a waste of your energy to swap head units in the name of raising cash.

Is the head unit the Sony upgrade or the standard 6cd radio?
Old 06-20-2009, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of aftermarket head units, how would it work with the way everything is built in and the buttons are all separate? Would you have to get an entire new dash kit or what?
Old 06-20-2009, 05:29 PM

I haven't seen any aftermarket stereo upgrades/mods for the non-nav models yet - I'm sure sooner or later Scosche or another will come out with a dash kit but that won't necessarily solve everything. With everything being so tightly integrated these days it's harder to "upgrade" without breaking at least a few things. I did see a photo of replacing the factory nav unit somewhere though.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by big_ole_truck
I think it would be a waste of your energy to swap head units in the name of raising cash.

Is the head unit the Sony upgrade or the standard 6cd radio?
I have a platinum so its the Sony stereo. The 6 disc is listed on the windows sticker as a 400ish dollar upgrade. I dont think it would be to hard to swap. I am guessing it is similar to a computer drive and its a separate unit from everything else and just the drive would come out and have 1 or 2 connectors on the back that would plug right into the single disc unit.

Originally Posted by Rayman21186
Speaking of aftermarket head units, how would it work with the way everything is built in and the buttons are all separate? Would you have to get an entire new dash kit or what?
Originally Posted by statikuz
I haven't seen any aftermarket stereo upgrades/mods for the non-nav models yet - I'm sure sooner or later Scosche or another will come out with a dash kit but that won't necessarily solve everything. With everything being so tightly integrated these days it's harder to "upgrade" without breaking at least a few things. I did see a photo of replacing the factory nav unit somewhere though.
Now that my thread is hi-jacked. There is already an aftermarket dash kit out that allows any double din unit to be mounted. There is also a unit that allows the Sync to remain active in the car(to what extent though I am unsure of). If I did not have the platinum with sync and everything else, I would swap for a high end double din nav unit.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by rjacobs
There is already an aftermarket dash kit out that allows any double din unit to be mounted. There is also a unit that allows the Sync to remain active in the car(to what extent though I am unsure of). If I did not have the platinum with sync and everything else, I would swap for a high end double din nav unit.
My scrounging skills are weak - could you link these up? Thanks! As far as swapping your units, again it seems like too much effort to me, but if you're brave enough to tear into the dash and find out I'm sure it would be extremely useful to everyone else on here considering stereo upgrades/modding.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:01 AM

I cant link to it because of Metra's home page, but go to

www.metraonline.com

and search for part number 95-5820

That is the double din replacement panel, it replaces the entire center panel with ac controls and what not with a panel with a double din opening. I think there are one or two people using this already or are in the process of using them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6 disc cd changer