Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5-star vs MPT tuning (my experience so far)

Old 01-18-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 211 Likes on 174 Posts
Default 5-star vs MPT tuning (my experience so far)

I see many threads asking these questions, and I try to chime in to offer as much insight as I can. I know a lot of people go with a tuner and stick with them because of free re-tunes if you buy the aftermarket parts from their company or "sister" companies. Just thought I'd share my (so far) experience with both tunes. I am comparing 5 star 93 performance and MPT 93 street tune. I will also be doing a side by side dyno and track quarter mile test on March 10th. The first day my local track Gateway International is open. I would love others to share their experiences with different tuning companies as well.

PRICE - MPT has the slight edge on price as their single tunes are $99 and 3 tunes are $150, 5star charges $105 for 1 or $180 for 3. Also MPT charges $25 for parts bought elsewhere updates or if the dealer changes your strategy code, where 5 star charges $65 for this service (note. 5 star did price match this option for me)

FUEL ECONOMY - Advantage 5 star, I see a blended city/hwy mpg of approximately 18.5 compared to approximately 15.9 with MPT, a noticeable difference!

THROTTLE RESPONSE - As far as my tunes are concerned MPT's throttle response seems much superior, not only from a dead stop but also through the rpm range during regular driving. With 5 star there is slight hesitation in both scenarios, where with MPT it seems instantaneous.

TRANSMISSION - Both are so much better than stock that it's hard to declare a winner, so I'll just state the differences that I've noticed. 1st off neither seem to shift too hard as some folks have discussed. With my 5 star tune it will go through 1st and 2nd gear VERY fast under light acceleration, I mean VERY fast. You are in 3rd gear before you can blink. (maybe that's where I see the fuel economy benefits as I'm staying in lower RPM's?) it will hold gear if you are heavy on the foot. The shifts are smooth and crisp and it doesn't seem to downshift too early with normal driving. Also, the 5 star tune shifts at about 6800 at wot. My MPT tune holds 1st and 2nd longer in normal driving situations but does seem to "search for the correct gear" on hilly terrains in normal driving conditions. MPT shifts closer to 7000 at wot, in track conditions. Side note, my 5 star tune has been data logged and adjusting for shifting issues, at one time my 5 star tune had sloppy shifting and rpm's would surge right before shifting, did not care for this, but they did fix it to my liking. Also MPT has a setting that puts my trucks transmission setting to stock by hitting tow/haul, that is a nice feature.

POWER - I have dyno'd both tunes but unfortunately not on the same day or even with the same modifications done(I will dyno them both before March 10th, the day my local track opens). All in all I am very happy with the power both offer, my dyno numbers with MPT read 350hp/331tq but that's with the mods in my sig (minus long tubes) 5 star dyno was 301hp/318 tq on a completely stock vehicle. Again, not an apples to apples comparison. I will say that my MPT tune feels stronger in the lower RPM's and the 5 star seems to pull harder at 6k plus.

DAILY DRIVABILITY - I much prefer my MPT tune, throughout the rpm band it just feels a little stronger and there isn't hesitation when downshifting to pass. I do think it's important to note the mpg difference though. As gas prices rise, I will find myself learning to enjoy the 5 star tune more as I see more than 2 mpg better with 5 star.

CUSTOMER SERVICE - MPT is a little easier to communicate with as they seem more willing to have a quick chat on the phone regarding any questions regarding their tunes, where 5 star seems to much prefer email. I don't have a clue who does more business but if 5 star does quite a bit more I would accept that as a legitimate reason as to why. 5 star is a lot quicker getting tune revisions out, always on the same day in my experience. MPT has been closer to 48-72 hours for revisions.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:45 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Keep in mind different dyno's will produce different numbers in how they read hp/tq. Have a look at MPT's and 5*'s dyno charts and you will see a significant difference than what your readings are, stock the truck is rated at 360hp. With MPT my truck is blowing past 410hp no performance mods other than a catback exhaust (which isn't a performance mod, just sounds meaner), I forget the tq values but they are significantly higher as well.

I lean towards MPT as preferred as well, been running their race tune as a DD for over a year.

One thing you haven't mentioned, maybe you didn't know about it, with MPT you can use the tow/haul button to make the trans shift more like stock rather than holding a gear so long. I like to call it a sport/touring mode switch.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Keep in mind different dyno's will produce different numbers in how they read hp/tq. Have a look at MPT's and 5*'s dyno charts and you will see a significant difference than what your readings are, stock the truck is rated at 360hp. With MPT my truck is blowing past 410hp no performance mods other than a catback exhaust (which isn't a performance mod, just sounds meaner), I forget the tq values but they are significantly higher as well.

I lean towards MPT as preferred as well, been running their race tune as a DD for over a year.

One thing you haven't mentioned, maybe you didn't know about it, with MPT you can use the tow/haul button to make the trans shift more like stock rather than holding a gear so long. I like to call it a sport/touring mode switch.
Look at my last sentence under TRANSMISSION. I have a dyno appointment March 10th so we will have a better idea then. Same day same dyno different tunes
Old 01-18-2017, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by blue5.0
Look at my last sentence under TRANSMISSION. I have a dyno appointment March 10th so we will have a better idea then. Same day same dyno different tunes
Yeah I missed that part about the switch, however your dyno readings as posted are way out in left field and I'm only comparing your readings with factory readings, must be something wrong with that dyno, hope your not going to use the same one as it would appear to be out of calibration.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:28 PM

What makes you lean towards MPT? Have you had other tunes? I think this will help with the plethora of posts on this topic.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:34 PM

Yeah I missed that part about the switch, however your dyno readings as posted are way out in left field and I'm only comparing your readings with factory readings, must be something wrong with that dyno, hope your not going to use the same one as it would appear to be out of calibration.
Factory readings are to the crank. Our trucks put down about 275 hp to the wheels on a mustang dyno and close to 300 on a dynojet to the wheels.

Last edited by blue5.0; 01-18-2017 at 04:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GrasslandHVAC (12-22-2020)
Old 01-18-2017, 04:51 PM

Yeah, I have 5* and MPT, got the 5* first then decided to try the other.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:56 PM

Yeah, I have 5* and MPT, got the 5* first then decided to try the other.
Any reason you prefer MPT???
Old 01-18-2017, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by blue5.0
Any reason you prefer MPT???
More aggressive, noticeable gain in power, and the switch.
mta5002414 (03-19-2018)
Old 01-18-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I have both and my preference is 5*. It's been my experience that with the 5* the engine runs smoother and the acceleration is more linear, allowing me to finesse the throttle easier. With MPT I get a small delay then it's off like a rocket. I know some are into that but it's not for me.
mta5002414 (03-19-2018)

Search this Thread