Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 star tune and my waranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 02:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 5 star tune and my waranty

hey guys. I just purchased a 5 star tune for my 2012 5.0 screw XLT and am looking forward to the better shifting and increased power. My only concern is my warranty will be voided. Has anyone ever been denied warranty work because of having a tune on your truck? Thanks for the help.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

This subject has been beat to death on this forum If Ford suspects that a tune was installed [ and the computer does log reflashes] they can and will deny warenty coverage on the powertrain. if you read your warenty coverage book it is explained in detail.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:29 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

A tuner will not void our warranty from what I've been told. If something broke while you had a tune installed the dealer would have to be able to prove that what ever broke was a direct result of the tuner you were running. This is highly unlikely and I think some dealers use a tuner as an excuse not to do warranty work and the customer doesn't know any better. That being said there are dealers out there that can know you are tuned and if something goes they fix it under warranty and just don't care. They would rather keep the customer happy and focus of positive customer service. Hope this helps and I'm curious to hear what others have to say too.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:55 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

The manufacturer has to prove that your modification was the cause of the problem in order to deny warranty work. If a dealer tells you that your tuner voids your warranty, go find a better dealer, or tell them you'll be speaking to a lawyer.

Unless your tuner directly causes a problem with the truck (which is very unlikely), the warranty isn't an issue. And unless your truck is in the shop for something engine related, they're not even going to check to see if it's been tuned.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If your warranty is important to you then ask the service department at your dealer. Don't listen to what people say on here because every dealer is different. There are mod friendly dealers, and there are dealers that go by the book.
The following users liked this post:
alabamaredneck (09-21-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 03:52 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_bryan_89
If your warranty is important to you then ask the service department at your dealer. Don't listen to what people say on here because every dealer is different. There are mod friendly dealers, and there are dealers that go by the book.
^^And what he said. Kind of what I was getting at but I tend to ramble. Don't like to leave out any info. You should have me explain a movie to you lol. Oh no, I just did it again didn't I ?!?
Old 09-21-2012, 04:49 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by graysonp
The manufacturer has to prove that your modification was the cause of the problem in order to deny warranty work. If a dealer tells you that your tuner voids your warranty, go find a better dealer, or tell them you'll be speaking to a lawyer.

Unless your tuner directly causes a problem with the truck (which is very unlikely), the warranty isn't an issue. And unless your truck is in the shop for something engine related, they're not even going to check to see if it's been tuned.
The manufacter doesnt have to prove anything all they have to do is say that your mod changed the operating parameters of the truck and refuse to write the check it is spelled out in your warenty which was written by their team of lawers. its up to you and your lawer to prove otherwise. While its true the dealer may have a certain lattitude for miner repairs if somthing majer breaks the dealer must get permision from ford and ford will want to see the data log from the truck and this is not just engine related repairs but the entire power train. so if you want to play be prepaird to pay. Oh and while your speaking to your lawer bring your check book they aint cheap and you wont find one to take your case on contingancy
Old 09-21-2012, 04:53 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbabud
The manufacter doesnt have to prove anything all they have to do is say that your mod changed the operating parameters of the truck and refuse to write the check it is spelled out in your warenty which was written by their team of lawers. its up to you and your lawer to prove otherwise. While its true the dealer may have a certain lattitude for miner repairs if somthing majer breaks the dealer must get permision from ford and ford will want to see the data log from the truck and this is not just engine related repairs but the entire power train. so if you want to play be prepaird to pay. Oh and while your speaking to your lawer bring your check book they aint cheap and you wont find one to take your case on contingancy
That is incorrect. Legally, the burden of proof is on the manufacturer to prove that your mod directly caused a problem. They cannot say "You changed the operating parameters" and deny warranty coverage. They are legally required to show a direct correlation with the modification that caused the problem.

If they deny your warranty claim without doing this, any lawyer would be glad to take your case for free, since Ford will be paying out the claim and the legal fees when they're done....

I'm sure there are plenty of customers who back down when a pushy dealer tries to weasel out of warranty coverage because of this stuff, but Ford has no leg to stand on when it comes to this issue. If the tuner did not directly cause the issue, then the warranty is valid and Ford must honor it. Period.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ I'm with this guy.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbabud
That about sums it up. All the factory rep has to say is that the more aggressive timing, fuel map, boost pressure, ect adversely effected the longevity or durability of the component outside of its design and the warranty is void. THAT is all the "proof" that will be required. At that point it will be up to you to hire a lawyer. The lawyer fees will be far more expensive than buying a new engine or tranny. I like tuners, but not on a vehicle with a warranty.

Quick Reply: 5 star tune and my waranty