Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4 SCT Tuner experience + question

Old 09-24-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

Default 5.4 SCT Tuner experience + question

I bought an SCT 3015 Tuner from 5star and have been playing with it a bit in the last week. Like everyone else says, kudos to Mike and his customer service.

I have tried the 87 perf/tow tune and now the 87 Eco tune. Living in Calgary, I don't want to pay more than I have to so will probably stick to this octane level.

Being somewhat nervous about playing with Ford's computers, I connected the tuner to the obd port and did the initial download of the stock parameters. This took more than 1/2 hour with the last 25% of the download almost 1%/minute. Not sure if this is indicative, but seemed very long at the time. Then uploaded the 87 perf/tow tune to the truck. The engine upload took about 7 minutes and the transmission another 4minutes.

It took a bit longer on the starter than normal to start after the download and gave me a bit of a nervous moment, but ran fine. Idle is up from 525 rpm to 650 rpm so it idles a lot smoother. Impressions of the 87 perf/tow tune?...definitely revs higher before shifting and has a nice power surge above 2100 rpm. For my driving style (granny, apparently) and traffic patterns I find myself in, the performance tune is overkill. If I drove it the way it wants to be driven, I will be running over vehicles all over the road or having to hammer my brakes all the time. Even at light throttle, the transmission won't shift until 1800-2000 rpm with almost no throttle and most shifts happening above 2000rpm with light feathering throttle.

After driving the perf/tow tune for a number of days, I uploaded the 87 Economy tune yesterday (same 7min + 4minute time) with a 600rpm idle ( i have a scangauge attached all the time). It seems more conducive to the way I drive (or can drive here) and feels better suited to me. Shifting rpms are back down more to stock levels, but the shifting still feels better and better sorted. The surge of power above 2100 rpm is gone though but nice and linear. I suspect I will stick with the eco tune unless I'm feeling saucy .

Here's the question. I tow our 4000lb travel trailer in the summers and hope to just stick with the same eco tune during those trips. I sent Mike a quick email asking if that was ok to do and he indicated it would be fine, but does anyone tow with their Eco tune? Tried googling (when did that become a verb?), but can't seem to find anyone using an eco tune on a gas engine to tow. I haven't tried the tow/haul mode for a significant period of time to see if it still has any effect with this tune. anyone know?

Any thoughts and comments appreciated.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:29 PM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I have an 09 f150 5.4 5 star tuned from mike as well. I keep it in the 89 perf/tow all the time I like how it drives in that tune. My initial tune went exactly as yours did. Same starting thing and everything.

I am sure you'd be fine with towing in eco but why would you? Your mpg is going to drop so why not get the extra power if you need it on the road.

Id switch tunes when towing if I where you. As well as putting it in tow/haul mode keeps the tranny happier and temps down.

I basically got the tuner for the transmission I hated the way it drove when it was stock I love the 6 speed now with it's shift points and firmness of the drive. I know what mean with the surging though my truck will hold will going down hills leaving my driveway at slow speeds at 2100 rpms but I like the rumble my exhaust makes when it's doing that haha.

Last edited by coley909; 09-24-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:05 PM

Default Thanks for the info

Sounds about right. I won't be ready to tow the trailer till next spring so I'll probably be ready to play around with the tune again by that time. Maybe perf/tow will feel better by then. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:27 PM
TOTM Sept 2013 Winner

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

You could always ask Mike to tone down the shift points on the perf tune. I drove mine for a few months and had to consciously make it shift around 2500rpm. My natural driving would make it shift from 3-3200rpm. Contacted Mike this weekend and within a few hours had an updated tune in my inbox.

The new tune has all the power but shifts perfectly now under normal driving conditions.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:51 PM

Default Will give that a try.

I sent him a quick email, but I don't want to push him if he's busy as I'm not in any rush. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:59 PM

Default and 10 minutes later

I have a revised file to try. Damn he is fast.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Could've had a V8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coley909
I am sure you'd be fine with towing in eco but why would you? Your mpg is going to drop so why not get the extra power if you need it on the road.

Id switch tunes when towing if I where you. As well as putting it in tow/haul mode keeps the tranny happier and temps down.
I agree with going to the perf/tow tune when the time comes to do some pulling.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:12 AM

Default Revised performance/tow

loaded up the revised performance/tow file and it seems perfect. Shifts nice and easy in slow, city work and gets up and goes when you get on the gas. So far really liking this one.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:56 AM
TOTM Sept 2013 Winner

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by tcp2
loaded up the revised performance/tow file and it seems perfect. Shifts nice and easy in slow, city work and gets up and goes when you get on the gas. So far really liking this one.
Thought you'd like this version
Old 09-26-2013, 10:45 AM

Yup, really enjoying it. I asked for the idle at 600 rpm and the lowered shifting and it's about perfect. thank god for custom tuning. I suspect it will tow our mid sized trailer without the slightest issue. feels much different than stock without being too rev happy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.4 SCT Tuner experience + question