Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.0 engine replacement, not happy!

Old 04-10-2014, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.0 engine replacement, not happy!

Ok so I been complaining about a knock noise from my 5.0 that I bought used in July of 2013...of course the dealership said it was a normal noise...so 3 weeks ago I dropped it off and told them to fix it or something bad will happen....well come to find out I have a distorted engine block, bad rist pin, cyl head was scored, somehow the catalyst is messed up...so my problem is I been waiting on ford to decide what they are going to do...I found out yesterday they are just gonna give me new parts instead of a new engine...my cost on a new engine is $5,000.00 frustrating to me when I feel they are doing it half ***...I found a receipt folded up that this truck was ran out of oil from a fafaulty oil adapter gasket...I think this is when this whole problem started!
Old 04-10-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 398 Likes on 344 Posts

yeah no oil isn't good for a motor. are they doing this under warrenty.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:55 AM
F150 Greenhorn

Received 109 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by steelcowboy78
so 3 weeks ago I dropped it off and told them to fix it or something bad will happen....
What exactly were you going to do?
Old 04-10-2014, 10:58 AM

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

I found a receipt folded up that this truck was ran out of oil from a fafaulty oil adapter gasket...I think this is when this whole problem started!
Was this info not available before purchasing the truck? No engine is going to treat you well after its been run dry of oil. Get it fixed under warranty if you can and get rid of it.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

well come to find out I have a distorted engine block, bad rist pin, cyl head was scored, somehow the catalyst is messed up...so my problem is I been waiting on ford to decide what they are going to do...I found out yesterday they are just gonna give me new parts instead of a new engine...
So.., if they are using new parts, are they replacing the "distorted engine block"? Or are they leaving the block how it is, and just replacing a rist pin, cylinder head, etc.

Are you sure you're not getting a new short block?
Old 04-10-2014, 12:30 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

My engine ran low on oil once, thanks to the dealership oil monkey who didnt put the oil plug back in properly...

Didnt crap out right away (after I filled it back up obviously), it waited until I was 1,000 miles from home in the middle of butt-f**k nowhere trying to catch a ferry... so yeah, get a new short block at least

Last edited by 130428; 04-10-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:35 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have never gone thru it thankfully, but from reading about people who have had their engines replaced they almost always just replace the parts that need replacing. You don't usually get a "new" engine. And even if they do replace the whole engine it is a rebuilt one.

Listened to many people go thru this on the diesel sites. This was typically the case.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:44 PM

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

this i why i buy new, does it show t be a factory defect with the faulty gasket? what mileage was on the paperwork you found? did you buy from a dealer or a individual? run an OASIS report and find out exacty what is going on. unless it was a certified used trck from Ford, they could deny your claim if there is no record of oil and filter changes. owners manual states if you do oil changes yourself, you must keep receipts of the purchases. i would be very nice to them, at least for awhile.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:47 PM

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

I used to have a 2012 Dodge Ram HEMI. At 800 miles, the engine was knocking. After months of fighting with them, they tore the engine apart, and found a piston that was slightly out of spec. There was also scoring on the crank journals and bearings. They had the whole engine (pistons, rods) sitting on their dirty shop floor. Instead of replacing the short block, they replaced 1 piston and rings. They put the whole engine back together, scored crank journals and all. So now I had a brand new, 800 miles truck with a rebuilt engine. The engine continued to knock. So they tore it all apart a second time, but this time replaced it with a short block.

They were trying to save money by replacing only the piston the first time, and it bit them in the *** cause they ended up doing the whole thing over. I eventually took them to court, and they bought the truck back full price.

I feel for ya. I would try and get them to replace it with a short block, but if they say no. Let them do the repair, and forget about it!
Old 04-10-2014, 05:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a gm certified camaro stupidly selling my f150 for it and now i am back with a new f150. The camaro only had 29k on it and it was a 2010. Gm looked for every excuse not to replace the motor when it was knocking. IMO buying new is the way to go. Thats just my opinion though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.0 engine replacement, not happy!