Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.0 Engine Rattles when accelerating, pull all spark plugs, need help inspecting them

Old 09-10-2018, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.0 Engine Rattles when accelerating, pull all spark plugs, need help inspecting them

Hi everyone,
I have a 2014 4x4 SuperCrew 6.5box 157WB 3.55 axle.
I've been noticing a very slight engine rattling in the past few months, it only happens when between I'm accelrating within a single gear around 1300-2000rpm, for 2nd gear to 6th gear. I'll give you a few scenerio.
1.when I'm using the cruise control at arount 80km/h or 50mph at 6th gear around 1300rpm on flat road and then hit a hill in front, the truck would make a rattle for maybe a second before shifing down to 5th gear. it's not the shifting that makes the rattle because if I manually lock it in 6th gear on simply flat road, and put my foot down on the gas, it would make the same rattle as well.
2.when I'm towing my boat (4000lbs) using Tow/haul mode, accelerating from rest to 100km/h or 62mph, it would make that same noise at every gear except for the 1st gear. For Instant, during the acceleration I'm in 4th gear around 1500rpm@(57k/h or 35mph) to 2000rpm@(76k/h or48mph) the truck would rattle at the end of this gear 2000 rpm, before it shifts up. If I lock the gear in place and hit the gas at 1600rpm it would rattle abit, then I let my foot off the gas at 2100rpm it would rattle a bit again.
3.if drive it extremly gently, I mean let it shift at around 1600 rpm and drop into the next geat at 1100 rpm, I would not rattle unless there's a hill/incline.

I don't know if I'm decribing the problem clearly enough, sounds are very hard to describe and record since it's so minor.
I reached out to a local mechanic and he says check the IWE, So I jacked up front wheels, start the engine and spin the front wheels, the axle shafts were not moving along, so I think it's probably not the IWE.
Then I read another post on this forum, the guy also has a rattle/Ping/knock when engine is under load, but he left the socket rubber inser in there from last plug change. But it gives the idea that fouled plugs may be the cause for a engine knock/ping/rattle. So I change all the plugs out, please let me know what you think about the old plugs, any input will help. Thanks
I'll test drive it tmr and keep the post updated.
Here's the other post https://www.f150forum.com/f70/5-0l-e...r-load-415189/
Hear are the photos of the old plugs.
Thanks!

Old 09-10-2018, 08:14 AM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

following. i have the same issue
Old 09-10-2018, 08:23 AM
FORD lifer

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

Your plug color looks fine to me. Modern engines run lean and hot, so you won’t see them a rich brown anymore.

Does it sound like you are shaking marbles inside a can?

And have you ran it almost empty and tried a tank of 91 octane no ethanol fuel?
The following users liked this post:
BlackKnight81 (09-11-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by montanaman
Your plug color looks fine to me. Modern engines run lean and hot, so you won’t see them a rich brown anymore.

Does it sound like you are shaking marbles inside a can?

And have you ran it almost empty and tried a tank of 91 octane no ethanol fuel?
And yes, I guess the sound of shaking marbles inside a can does sound alike,

No, I live in Surrey BC Canada, 87 here is $1.50CAD/L= 4.20USD/Gal, 91 is a at 1.70/L or 4.80 USD/gal, so I have never tried it before, not even cross my mind, hahahaha .
I always go to Costco for gas, because they are the cheapest, and I don't think there's many complaint about their fuel, correct me if i'm wrong.
Anyway, tell me what you think the problem is, and thank you so much!
Cheers

Old 09-10-2018, 03:29 PM
FORD lifer

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by berlinbai

No, I live in Surrey BC Canada, 87 here is $1.50CAD/L= 4.20USD/Gal, 91 is a at 1.70/L or 4.80 USD/gal, so I have never tried it before, not even cross my mind, hahahaha .
I always go to Costco for gas, because they are the cheapest, and I don't think there's many complaint about their fuel, correct me if i'm wrong.
Cheers
Well, it sounds like detonation, (loud pinging)

In the early 70's we (I) had problems with the old high-compression cars rattling on regular. they were high-compression, lots of cylinder pressure cars, like the '69 429 Thunderjet, and a 351W-4V out
of a Cougar. We tried retarding the timing a degree or two, richening the mixture, or running octane booster. The way I fixed the 351W was to put a crane cam in it, 3rd one from stock on the list, and it had enough
overlap that it lowered the cylinder pressure a little. Ran like a bastard too.

If I were you - I'd try a tank of COSTCO 91 octane and see if it helps. It might be that some knock sensor isn't working right. Ever since Fords EEC-IV, the engines have been built to sense octane/ pinging and adjust the fuel and timing.

Good luck.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

agreed, they look far to lean for my liking. I'd be nice if we could enrichen the mixture a bit without the need of a custom tune

Old 09-10-2018, 08:25 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by berlinbai

Cheers
My 2014 5.0 does the same, audible pinging under load at lower rpm (I often notice going up hills). I’m in Penticton and also can’t afford to run anything other than 87 octane, and frankly we shouldn’t have to. While I haven’t been able to get the pinging to stop completely, I do find it is reduced after running something like Techron fuel injector cleaner through a tank of fuel, and after cleaning the maf sensor. I’ll try a partial tank of 91 octane the next time I can fill up in the US (where gas is more reasonably priced!).
Old 09-11-2018, 08:24 PM

Received 701 Likes on 504 Posts

Well, it sounds like detonation, (loud pinging)

The way I fixed the 351W was to put a crane cam in it, 3rd one from stock on the list, and it had enough
overlap that it lowered the cylinder pressure a little. Ran like a bastard too.
The engine isn't even on the compression stroke during overlap. The overlap didn't fix it the late intake valve closing point did. With the same cam the more you advance the cam the more cylinder pressure it builds, the more you retard it the less cylinder pressure it builds. All due to lengthening and shortening of the effective compression stroke.
The following users liked this post:
montanaman (09-11-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 03:00 PM

UPDATE!
Originally Posted by Massshole13sc
following. i have the same issue
Originally Posted by re-fresh
My 2014 5.0 does the same, audible pinging under load at lower rpm (I often notice going up hills).
UPDATE!
Took the truck for the first drive after plugs changed, mixed city and rural roads.
The bad news is Rattle/ping/knock PERSIST!
The somewhat good news are that the ping/knock is not as bad as before or even sometimes unnoticeable, and I notice there isn’t any knock right after cold start for about 10mins.

Forgot to mention that some of the coil-on-plug bolts were so rusty that they just stripped out when I unscrew them. Not sure if that tells us any thing.

My next plan would be try cleaning the MAF, throttle body.
The fuel tank is still near full, so the 91 octane will have to wait quit a bit. Wait for next update!
I’m planning to drive the truck from Vancouver to Toronto in late October, 10000km/6000miles round trip, so hopefully I can get the problem sort out by then.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Based on the pictures, it looks like your #9 and #10 cylinders are not firing. yuk yuk yuk

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.0 Engine Rattles when accelerating, pull all spark plugs, need help inspecting them