Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.0 engine knock

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 12:46 AM

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
Default 5.0 engine knock

I have noticed my engine has a knock at idle. It does not knock when rpm's increase. Anyone else have this? 13000 miles, no mods. Taking it in tomorrow.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:53 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Coming from the drivers side of the engine? There is a tsb for it. It's either the water pump or the timing chain tensioner
Old 03-10-2014, 07:54 AM

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts

Mine's gained a slight "tick" at idle that wasn't there a few thousand miles ago. We're at nearly identical mileage so maybe it's just finally getting broken in really good.

My sound begins to fade as the engine warms. Is yours present at all times? Never changes?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's additional threads on here that discusses this issue. Mine does it and the TSB does not apply to mine because of the build date. Sounds like it's coming from the passenger side towards the front of the engine. I've had 2 different dealerships tell me it's the 'nature of the beast' due to the 'variable cam timing' solenoids or cam phasers. Also had a former Ford tech tell me the same thing. Not happy about it. Loudness of the knock varies. Sometimes it's so loud that I think it's going to throw a rod. Mine developed around 20k miles. I doubt that Ford designed it to sound like this but since it does.....it's "normal". If you find a dealer that fines a cure for it - please let me know what they did to correct it. I've been told that there's no fix for it. Love the truck - hate the knock.

Last edited by Longjt; 03-10-2014 at 08:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
yamahatim (03-11-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 09:09 AM

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahatim
knock
Originally Posted by Bennyboy
tick
Apples and Oranges.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:08 AM

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by MEZERR
Apples and Oranges.

Haha, touché.

People hear a describe sounds a little differently so I was just pointing out that some sounds seem to truly be "nature of the beast".

Now, a rod knocking type sound like the one described may definitely be an issue.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:54 AM

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Bennyboy
People hear a describe sounds a little differently so I was just pointing out that some sounds seem to truly be "nature of the beast".
Ahhhh Roger Roger. Good point.

When I had my RAM, my engine would Knock at idle. I had a long thread going on at ramforumz. It was clearly a KNOCK. The video was clearly a KNOCKING sound, yet, 90% of the thread contributors would keep talking about ticking noises, and how ticking is most times normal. It got so frustrating trying to diagnose a knocking noise, when people kept on confusing it with a tick. So, when I see the words Knock, and Tick in the same thread, it brings back bad memories. LOLOL

Old 03-10-2014, 11:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can live with a 'ticking' noise being 'normal' ...........
Old 03-10-2014, 08:43 PM
FORD PARTS FANATIC

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Could it be that the coyote has the same cam phaser / timing chain tensioner/guide issues the 5.4 had?
Old 03-11-2014, 12:43 AM

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Longjt
There's additional threads on here that discusses this issue. Mine does it and the TSB does not apply to mine because of the build date. Sounds like it's coming from the passenger side towards the front of the engine. I've had 2 different dealerships tell me it's the 'nature of the beast' due to the 'variable cam timing' solenoids or cam phasers. Also had a former Ford tech tell me the same thing. Not happy about it. Loudness of the knock varies. Sometimes it's so loud that I think it's going to throw a rod. Mine developed around 20k miles. I doubt that Ford designed it to sound like this but since it does.....it's "normal". If you find a dealer that fines a cure for it - please let me know what they did to correct it. I've been told that there's no fix for it. Love the truck - hate the knock.
That is exactly where mine is coming from. Dealer looked at it today and said they are contacting Ford for possible issues.

Last edited by yamahatim; 03-11-2014 at 07:33 PM.

Quick Reply: 5.0 engine knock