Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.0 to Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 268 Likes on 165 Posts

Default 5.0 to Ecoboost

I want to start this thread with a note: this is not an Ecoboost vs 5.0 thread to determine which one anyone thinks is better than the other for whatever reason. We have enough of those threads already, so if that's the route you want to take it, please post in one of those threads. I think I'm having a legit issue and am looking for those with experience of owning both. Thanks in advance for not going there.

Now, on to the issue. I bought a 2014 Tremor, Eco with 4.10 e-lock rear. My previous truck was a 2013 RCSB 5.0 with 3.55 rear, and before that was a 2011 XLT 3.7 NA v6. Of the three trucks, the tremor is a turd. The 3.7 extended cab (don't know the rear gears, but I know it wasn't 4.10) had more snap and accelerated faster. Yesterday, just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I turned off traction control and advanced trac, and floored it from a stop. It wouldn't even chirp the tires. I even did it on a turn and still couldn't get it to break loose. That definitely isn't right.

Is there any way to test to see if both turbos are functioning properly? Is there something else that could be cause an issue? It doesn't stutter, I don't have any hesitation issues, it idles smooth. I replaced the plugs not long ago, and even the old plugs looked fine. It only has 31,000 miles on it. There are no codes that I know of (no indications on the dash). I do have a cheap OBDii scanner I can hook up, but with no lights, I didn't figure I needed to.

Has anyone owned both a 5.0 and an eco, with at least the same rear gears, and can offer shed some light on their experience with both?
Old 03-22-2017, 10:30 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I did the opposite. Started with a 14 screw fx4 ecoboost and now have a 2wd RCSB STX 5.0, both with 3.55 gears. I like them both but the 5.0 seems to have more pep off idle, I know the eco was faster because of the TQ it made and it's hard to judge TQ from the seat of your pants so really the 5.0 FEELS faster. I know I'll get flamed for this but the eco without a tune (mine was stock) seems sluggish at first or off idle and I'm guessing that is due to having next to little boost built.

Try a accelerator relearn. You'll have to search for it because I can't remember the steps. It will help tremendously.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

The eco's I've driven were more sluggish than the 5.0's I've driven. All were stock. I assume a tune will make it feel better.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:44 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Stock Eco's feel a bit sluggish off the line due to Ford's torque management / throttle management that they implement into the stock tune. Even if you floor it from a stop, the ECU will only tell the throttle blade to open a certain amount and it's nowhere near 100%. It does the same when you are getting close to a high RPM shift. It slowly closes the throttle so the shift isn't as harsh.

A factory Eco with no brake boost off the line and you just floor it generally will not start to break tires free until a few thousand RPM. That's when the ECU allows the throttle to open more and of course turbos get going more.

A tune of course will change all of that and make a night and day difference, however just to be sure, if you have the OBD2 scanner that is compatible with Bluetooth and happen to use an Android phone or tablet, get TorquePro from the app store and monitor boost levels, check for any stored but not displayed codes, A/F ratio's, and throttle percentage. You can at least start there to see if it is functioning correctly.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:49 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Right off of idle there is no boost to speak of, so the ecoboost is essentially a 3.5L NA motor off idle. This is why there's less snap when taking off compared to the 5.0. This is going to be true with nearly all turbo vehicles. Yes, a tune will definitely wake up the ecoboost, but don't expect the same responsiveness as a NA motor.

Also, there's something about the factory tune strategy of 2013 and 2014 motors. I think it has something to do with the condensation issue some of the eco motors experienced and by tuning the throttle for a slower response helped with the issue.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

I have a RCSB 5.0 and I test drive a Tremor. I dealt the same way. I was expecting to be thrown back in my seat but was thoroughly disappointed. I almost wonder if the Tremors would be better off with a taller gear?
Old 03-22-2017, 11:31 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I test drove a Tremor recently, and was also disappointed by the acceleration and throttle response. Felt slower than my supercrew 5.0. Common theme here.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:11 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

And I guess I should have added, that even though it FEELS slower, it might not actually BE slower. Although I would have to say that if you can't break loose the tires in an RCSB with 4.10 gears, then something may be out of normal. I have a screw with 3.55 gears and 34" tall tires and with a tune, I can roast my tires no problem. It won't peel out from a dead stop, but what happens is I floor it, it slowly starts to move for half second, and then it accelerates until the tires loses grip through 1st gear, and then gain traction, then chirps 2nd gear.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 268 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by badtziscool
And I guess I should have added, that even though it FEELS slower, it might not actually BE slower. Although I would have to say that if you can't break loose the tires in an RCSB with 4.10 gears, then something may be out of normal. I have a screw with 3.55 gears and 34" tall tires and with a tune, I can roast my tires no problem. It won't peel out from a dead stop, but what happens is I floor it, it slowly starts to move for half second, and then it accelerates until the tires loses grip through 1st gear, and then gain traction, then chirps 2nd gear.
That's why I made the post. I floored it, it took off, and when you feel the boost build, it just accelerated a little quicker. Never even so much as barked the tires, let alone spun them. My 5.0 would roast them before and after the tune. After the tune, it would chirp in 2nd or when I downshifted.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Wouldn't have expected all the similar feedback on the Tremor. Interesting.