Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4x4 Auto questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 4x4 Auto questions

Guys

I have a 2013 Lariat with the 4x4 off road package and have a few questions about the 4x4 auto setting.

I understand that it is ok to drive full time in this setting and that it only sends torque to the front if necessary but I don't understand why when I drive in this mode:
1. The exhaust sounds much more aggressive (sounds like you can hear the roar from under the hood more than from the rear pipe). Sounds awesome.

2. I have a lot more acceleration in the low end.

3. steering feels tighter and more responsive.

I like everything about driving in 4x4 auto better other than the negligible .2 mpg drop.

Anybody know why?
Old 11-07-2013, 10:55 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

So... Nobody else has noticed this?

If you have a 5.0 with 4x4 auto go out and floor it in 2wd listen to exhaust and feel trottle response and acceleration. Switch into 4x4 auto and do it again, note the difference.

I don't know why but there is a big diffenence in the two in my truck, exhaust note is much louder and alot deeper sounding, and the difference in acceleration is easily noticed also.

I first suspected that the traction control was limiting power in 2wd to keep from spinning the wheels, but it doesn't sound any different with it turned off?
Old 11-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Eye of the Tiger

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a 2012 with Auto mode. You can use the gauges on the dash to see when torque is applied to the front. On acceleration it always puts some to the front, and from what I've noticed, anytime I hit the accelerator, it sends some torque to the front. I have not noticed anything with regards to exhaust being louder though unless you are just getting on it more. The tighter, more responsive steering could be because some torque is going to the front and thus pulling as well. I would say though to put it on the 4WD gauge and watch when torque is sent to the front. It's almost all the time.

Last edited by captainnemojr; 11-07-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 4x4 Auto questions