Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4x4 actuator failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 actuator failure

I hit a deer with our 2010 ford f150 doing approx. 70 km/h...impact was the front passenger side.
It hit hard, taking out the grill, headlight, front fender smashed in that the windshield washer reservoir was smashed etc.
The truck came back from the body shop, but there is now a noise in the front end. It was looked at today and they said it's not a vacuum leak but that the actuator seal is leaking... There was no issue prior to the collision, can an impact like this cause damage to the IWE system??
Old 06-10-2019, 09:01 PM

Received 154 Likes on 90 Posts

n/m thought you said 70mph not kmh...
Old 06-11-2019, 05:33 AM

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Pull the vacuum line for that side from the check valve and pull a vacuum on it....watch for bleed down. I don't know how the dealer said "no vacuum leak" but then said "actuator is leaking".

It's possible the impact damaged the IWE but I would try changing the check valve first as it's cheap.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your info, I guess I said that slightly wrong....they said it's not a vacuum line leak when they tested it but said the actuator is leaking air around the seal?
Just seems awfully coincidental that it has happened at basically the same time.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:21 AM

Received 1,039 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by vanceandbj
Thank you for your info, I guess I said that slightly wrong....they said it's not a vacuum line leak when they tested it but said the actuator is leaking air around the seal?
Just seems awfully coincidental that it has happened at basically the same time.
If the deer hit directly on the wheel, who know what kind of force was put on it. Could also have been on its way to fail and this just helped it along.

That being said, If it were me, I’d lay eyes as much as I could on all the lines on that side. Paying special attention to the connections, the connector that attaches the rubber line to the plastic line and all lines themselves. I’d do my own vacuum test to confirm what the dealer said. You could check each individual line run and the IWEs all separately to narrow down where the leak or failure is.

If you want to just throw parts at it without testing. The cheapest and easiest part to replace is the check valve. Next cheapest and just as easy to replace, is the solenoid.

Quick Reply: 4x4 actuator failure