Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4wd auto question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 06:05 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Question 4wd auto question

We have intermittent snow and ice roads. I have been using the 4wd auto setting.

While making a turn it feels like the front end is trying to engage and kinda feels like it's fighting the engagement. It is in 4wd as I have good traction but It feels like something is dragging like when a tire catches a mud flap. It doesn't do this when your in 4wd High.

Anyone experienced this before?
Old 01-08-2014, 08:12 AM
King Hater

Bump
Old 01-08-2014, 08:33 AM
noob :)

Received 103 Likes on 84 Posts

switch to 4 high when its slippery and get to know how the truck feels in 4wd... in 4x4 mode they will not turn as well... I usually try to switch into 2wd when making sharp turns like into a parking spot. if you are engaging the locking rear end... the truck will not want to turn... don't use the rear locker unless needed.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Easily Lost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tothemax
We have intermittent snow and ice roads. I have been using the 4wd auto setting.

While making a turn it feels like the front end is trying to engage and kinda feels like it's fighting the engagement. It is in 4wd as I have good traction but It feels like something is dragging like when a tire catches a mud flap. It doesn't do this when your in 4wd High.

Anyone experienced this before?
Mine does this also. It happens when I have it in 4auto while turning a corner. I am used to 4wd vehicles, this is the first one I have had with the 4auto feature. Although, it only happens when its slick. No other issues otherwise.

Last edited by Nanjar; 01-08-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine does that also. Thats just how it functions. If you bring up the power splitter gauge, (i think its the top menu) you can see how the power is split depending on how your transfer case is engaged. In 4auto when you are cruising it cuts the power to the front. When you accelerate/it feels some slippage it sends power to the front. Sometimes its smooth other times if your spinning it transfers to much then the traction control kicks in. We all know how that feels when it tries to control wheel spin.
Likewise when you have it in 4hi, you can see on the gauge you get even power distribution to all 4 wheels all the time. The traction control can freak out at times, but i generally find it happens less often.

As a general rule of thumb, I tell my wife. If its snowing, feels slippery, and the tire tracks in the lanes are open asphalt, put it 4auto. If the tracks are starting to be snow covered in larger areas, or slushy in general, use 4hi.
Obviously there are exceptions to that, but for her it gets her by without the truck feeling like its breaking and her freaking out.
The following users liked this post:
Nanjar (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 02:20 PM
King Hater

Copy thanks for the replys. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't experiencing something abnormal.

Quick Reply: 4wd auto question