Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd Brake Light Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 11:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 3rd Brake Light Leak

I have read several posts about this issue and thought, since my truck is new Ford will have fixed this issue by now. NOT. Washed the truck yesterday and voilą, soap suds behind the light.

So, after taking the light off to have a look I figured it out. The reason this leaks is due to the gasket not going all the way to the edge of the light. There is about a 1/8 inch gap all the way aroung the edge of the light that does not seal, no matter how thick the gasket is which allows water to leak by. I simply ran a bead of clear RTV (silicone) between the gasket and the edge of the light and this fixed the leak issue. Cost about a quarter and you cannot see it.

I get it, Ford should fix this issue but I figured it is easier for me to just fix it myself and eliminate the need to spend countless hours and days in the dealership replacing gaskets and seats. Fixed with no leak.
The following 3 users liked this post by smacinva:
BarryScott (11-01-2014), Blondie70 (01-15-2016), Red13 (01-11-2014)
Old 11-22-2010, 12:00 PM

Received 251 Likes on 137 Posts

Mine is new too but as of yet I have not seen a leak. I've run it through a car wash twice. If I do see a leak I plan on doing just what you described. My time taking it in is worth more than $1 worth of silicone.

I think it's ridiculous that after all this time they are still letting trucks off the lots with the defective gasket. I swear if all Ford did was read online forums like this dedicated to their cars they would do a better job fixing problems. It's a 10 cent part!!!! Just fix it already.

Last edited by eye.surgeon; 11-22-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:11 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I just wonder what it costs Ford to replace gaskets and in some cases headliners-seats- carpets and maybe even some wires? Rediculous. Gone on way too long and a .25 cent fix
Old 11-22-2010, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this issue too but I just fixed it myself. It's an easy fix and plus you don't have to wait on the dealership to replace a part that will fail on you again anyhow. I like ford but they do make some parts that continuously fail, such as their window regulators.... replaced two already.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

My '10 has less than 1000 miles so far with no leaks yet.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:21 AM

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Well, count me in as a victim of the dreaded 3rd brake light leak.

I've been reading about this problem on various forums and have been checking my light almost every day.

We've had constant rain for the last 2 days here and when I parked my truck last night in the driveway, everything was fine.

Then this morning, I noticed a couple of water drops on the rear seat and sure enough, the headliner is all stained and water is dripping from it. So, this literally happened overnight.

Dropped it off at the dealer this morning and informed them that there is a new light with thicker gasket from Ford. They said they didn't know this was still a problem with the newer trucks. So, now I wait and see what they do to fix it.

Couple of thoughts I have on this...

1. Why is the brake light mounted into essentially a hole in the cab? One would think it should be a sealed cavity that allows water to drain to the outside.

2. Because this leak happened suddenly, is it possible that the light either loosens over time or the gasket slides down and out of place thus allowing water to enter. Or does the gasket material itself break down and eventually allows water past?

3. I now wish I had ordered that Recon LED brake light with the good gasket!

Grrrrr...

Last edited by seadragon; 03-11-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:30 AM
JJJ

Does anybody know if they improved the gasket or design with the 2011's? I have a 2011 on order. The whole hassell of having water inside your vehicle isn't worth it -- I would rather just make fixing the 3rd break light one of my first to-dos when I get my truck if Ford hasn't fixed this.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:31 AM
I am Batman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok its been raining here in southern Ontario for days .. Had the truck a month, and haven't seen any leak. But then again its above the headliner if I am reading you guys correctly could just be a dribble and not seen. Dammit its gonna bug me now I may just have to pull it off and silicone it anyways
Old 03-11-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian Boyz
Ok its been raining here in southern Ontario for days .. Had the truck a month, and haven't seen any leak. But then again its above the headliner if I am reading you guys correctly could just be a dribble and not seen. Dammit its gonna bug me now I may just have to pull it off and silicone it anyways
If you have a leak, you'll know. The headliner above the rear window will be water stained. I've had my truck since May 2010 and it's been fine all along until last night. This leak will just happen suddenly and without warning. So, now that mine has leaked, I really wish I had been proactive and sealed it with silicone or just installed the Recon light that comes with a quality gasket (so I read).

I would just go ahead and run a bead of silicone or something to avoid this altogether.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:53 AM

Just found mine leaking this morning.

Question: If your guys headliner is stained did you have Ford replace it?? im sure they are made out of some cardboard or some sort and water certainly is not good for them. I consider the headliner stained to be "broke" as well. So tell me, anyone else have their whole headliner replaced due to this damn leak?

Quick Reply: 3rd Brake Light Leak