Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35's and 3.55's

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 08:49 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Default 35's and 3.55's

Hi folks,

I have a 2011, 5.0L with the 3.55 gearing. I'm getting a good deal on Raptor takeoffs, I mainly want the wheels but they are coming with the stock 315/70/17 BFGoodrich ATs. Is my truck going to hate me if I stick with the OE Raptor tires? The setup weighs 64lbs per corner, not sure how that compares to stock but I assume it's much heavier. I've searched and found responses from a lot of owners but with different configurations, either engine or gearing. I'm looking specifically for 5.0L owners with 3.55 gearing that currently have or have previously run 35's.

Let me know how the results have been.

Thanks,
CP
Old 05-26-2014, 08:54 PM

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts

It's a slug.

I didn't think it was all that bad when I first had them put on. Then I got a tuner with some custom tunes and I enjoyed driving again. Without a tuner, you will have serious power loss and your speedo and shift points will be off. I have had my custom tunes for about a month or two now and it drives pretty close to stock, with improvements in some areas and a little loss in power from stock. I had to drive my truck without my tune today and I couldn't imagine going back to stock tune with 3.55 and 35's. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are budgeting in a tuner at least. Regearing would be the optimal choice, but that still leaves your speedo being off.

You then also have to consider long term transmission strain. This will depend on how long you plan on owning the vehicle. If long term ownership is the plan, regearing should be your choice. If you have 4WD, this will be pretty expensive.
The following 3 users liked this post by il_duce:
HCFX2013 (05-27-2014), hydro (05-26-2014), justjimmy (05-27-2014)
Old 05-26-2014, 10:47 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Maybe a little loss in power for me. Tires are34''/66lbs each, which I wasn't a huge fan of. But they're great otherwise.

il duce, how much your tunes run you? I had that, CAI and exhaust on my list. Should help some.

Last edited by SteveLord; 05-26-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:43 AM

I was thinking about getting a tuner this summer if it would help. I plan on keeping the truck for a while but but I don't want to regear.

This might be stupid but would a 35" highway tire be better than an AT? I like the look of 35's and I need ground clearance to get to camp but don't need too crazy of a tire.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:33 AM

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveLord
Maybe a little loss in power for me. Tires are34''/66lbs each, which I wasn't a huge fan of. But they're great otherwise.

il duce, how much your tunes run you? I had that, CAI and exhaust on my list. Should help some.
The SCT tuner plus lifetime 5 Star tunes from Stage3Motorsports was like $430. Which I just looked and they have it on sale right now for $399 w/ free shipping. That is a ridiculously good deal. This is for the 5.0: http://www.stage3motorsports.com/701...ar-Tuning.html

The CAI and exhaust won't give you much performance gain. The CAI will really only give you some performance coupled with a tune.

Originally Posted by NE Ford
I was thinking about getting a tuner this summer if it would help. I plan on keeping the truck for a while but but I don't want to regear.

This might be stupid but would a 35" highway tire be better than an AT? I like the look of 35's and I need ground clearance to get to camp but don't need too crazy of a tire.
Do they make a 35" highway tire?

The thing that is hurting you the most is probably the weight of the tire. So if you are worried about it, look for a lighter tire. Either way, a 35" tire is going to give you performance loss. People can say that they don't notice any performance loss, but they are surely lying to themselves and you. They may be OK with the loss, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

But I would personally not put 35" tires on a truck with 3.55 gears without getting a tuner at least. It just wouldn't be fun to drive.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by il_duce
Do they make a 35" highway tire?

The thing that is hurting you the most is probably the weight of the tire. So if you are worried about it, look for a lighter tire. Either way, a 35" tire is going to give you performance loss. People can say that they don't notice any performance loss, but they are surely lying to themselves and you. They may be OK with the loss, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

But I would personally not put 35" tires on a truck with 3.55 gears without getting a tuner at least. It just wouldn't be fun to drive.

General has a 35" highway tire but I guess I just meant a less aggressive tire than the BFG AT. I plan on getting a tuner this summer but don't want to damage the truck in the long run. Maybe a 285/75/17 would be a smarter move.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:48 AM
Ford Enthusiast

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

After much research I think the Cooper S/T max will be my next tire,,...it is a 35" but it is the lightest 35" I have found that appeals to me. Really wish they made the GY Duratrac in a true 35x20
Old 05-27-2014, 10:00 AM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

I absolutely noticed a performance loss. Even with a tuner... don't even have 35's

I would not do it again unless I had 3.73s or an Ecoboost.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Hopefully with my 34s and future perf upgrades I will be okay. Selling the tires really isn't an option since people in this world seem against even offering half the value of a tire.

I have been laying off the gas with these as well. But I never saw anything on tire weight/gears when doing all my research. Poo....
Old 05-27-2014, 11:00 AM

Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

No 35s for me - even w/ ordered 6.2 3.73 e-locker combo. Mine will keep stocker 18" FX wheels (or 17" OEM Raptor if I can find fresh take-offs at fair price) and go no larger than 33" equiv LT tires. I have no plans for a lift (maybe a leveling kit) 'cus towing function, highway performance with efficient fuel use are my priorities. Lifting and oversized heavy tires are contradictory to that objective plus I have no desire for the boulevard poser look anyway...

Quick Reply: 35's and 3.55's