Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

30,000 Maintenance - Is the Dealership screwing me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30,000 Maintenance - Is the Dealership screwing me?

I took my 2009 screw to the dealership for it's 30,000 maintenance last Friday and gave them the go ahead to flush my transmission fluid, coolant fluid, and perform the filter/fluid check for the truck, all for around $350.

It took them most of the day, but I finally got my truck back and was on my way. After driving it about 30 miles, I began to notice an audible grinding noise anytime I accelerated from 2nd to 3rd gear, and up into higher gears as well. It wasn't completely consistent, but was happening enough that I knew something was wrong. My wife was riding in the bed at one point and told me it was audible from back there while I was driving as well.

I took the truck back to the dealer first thing Saturday morning, and they looked at it and claimed that the transmission fluid appeared to be low. They filled it back up, but the grinding noise was still occurring. They said they needed to let their transmission tech look at it on Monday, so they gave me a rental car until it gets resolved. I spoke with them today, and they are now claiming that it may be a timing issue with the tranny. I asked them how flushing a tranny could cause a timing issue, but all they said is that it may be a coincidence!

I'm quickly coming to the realization that they don't know what they are doing or are purposely trying to avoid replacing the transmission. I simply don't know enough about the transmission to be able to call them out, so I'm looking for some advice on here. I'm not too worried since everything is under warranty, but I want to avoid taking possession of a truck that has a partially damaged transmission...

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:44 PM

First off, you're right, you are under warranty, so it is now just a matter of them making things right. I'll let someone else chime in on the dealership, but I've read other places that transmission flushes are problematic with higher mileages than what you had. "Could" be a coincidence, but hey, it worked fine before they serviced it, so it is a confidence issue now with the shop and you.

Hang in there. It sucks not having your truck and wondering if you can trust the shop that is working on your truck. Good luck... Hopefully things will work out this week.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:14 AM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

First, I have about 29K on my '09, but the trans fluid is supposed to be long-life now, so I am not planning on changing it at my 30K service after returning home from vacation; as the warranty does not require it at this low mileage and I do not tow frequently.

Next, as the other poster stated, regardless of the fluid change, if the trans has a problem, it should be fully covered under the warranty and if this dealer is being a problem, I would find another to have my truck serviced at.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:22 AM
Senior almost

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It is good advice to just take it to another dealer.. Let them give you an opinion, under warranty so it should be free anyways...
Old 06-21-2011, 04:48 AM
Master Electrician

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

i never flush anything at 30k. i do it all at 50k. always have with no prob.

imo, it sounds like the dealer is trying to cover their ***. i don't know why folks won't just come out and fess up. so what, you fried a tranny. fix it, dude. some dealers really lack class. one other thing: did they do anything to your differential? maybe thats grindin'?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:05 AM
2010 F150

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dfordtexas
i took my 2009 screw to the dealership for it's 30,000 maintenance last friday and gave them the go ahead to flush my transmission fluid, coolant fluid, and perform the filter/fluid check for the truck, all for around $350.

It took them most of the day, but i finally got my truck back and was on my way. After driving it about 30 miles, i began to notice an audible grinding noise anytime i accelerated from 2nd to 3rd gear, and up into higher gears as well. It wasn't completely consistent, but was happening enough that i knew something was wrong. My wife was riding in the bed at one point and told me it was audible from back there while i was driving as well.

I took the truck back to the dealer first thing saturday morning, and they looked at it and claimed that the transmission fluid appeared to be low. They filled it back up, but the grinding noise was still occurring. They said they needed to let their transmission tech look at it on monday, so they gave me a rental car until it gets resolved. I spoke with them today, and they are now claiming that it may be a timing issue with the tranny. I asked them how flushing a tranny could cause a timing issue, but all they said is that it may be a coincidence!

I'm quickly coming to the realization that they don't know what they are doing or are purposely trying to avoid replacing the transmission. I simply don't know enough about the transmission to be able to call them out, so i'm looking for some advice on here. I'm not too worried since everything is under warranty, but i want to avoid taking possession of a truck that has a partially damaged transmission...

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
i hope ford is montoring this forum. Dealership issues continue to be a problem for a majority of us.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:18 AM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

It seems a little odd that all of these transmission issue are coming up all of a sudden.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:19 AM
Mark

Received 2,414 Likes on 2,115 Posts

I want to hear the story why your wife was riding in the bed at one point...you couldn't get her to shut up ??
Old 06-21-2011, 08:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
I want to hear the story why your wife was riding in the bed at one point...you couldn't get her to shut up ??
Was she riding next to the shovel on the way out to the swamp?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by RUSH150

i hope ford is montoring this forum. Dealership issues continue to be a problem for a majority of us.
X2

Sent from my iPad using F150 Forum

Quick Reply: 30,000 Maintenance - Is the Dealership screwing me?