Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Chirps on the remote start

Old 10-19-2010, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Chirps on the remote start

Hey all,

I just picked up a 2010 f-150 crew cab in Sterling Silver up here in Barrow Alaska, and we totally need remote start to be working right about now.

The remote start was working fine for a few weeks then it just stopped working smoothly. It's a seperate key fob from the door lock fob if that helps any.

Here's what happens:
1. press the remote button until the parking lights light up and the horn chirps once
2. The remote start engages the truck and locks the doors.
3. The truck stops from starting. Chirps 3 times.

I have thoroughly checked the doors to see if any of them were opened and cleaned the latches and still the truck chirps 3 times when using the remote start. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 10-19-2010, 05:40 AM

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

That is an interesting one. The manual for mine says 3 honks means a door is open, but you said you checked that.

If you are not getting a door alert in the dash display I would look under the dash and find the module. Then just check the connectors to make sure they are in tight.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:53 PM

Yeah I just couldn't seem to figure it out. Usually its the hood that causes these problems but its 3 chirps. I haven't gotten the dashboard alert saying the doors are open. I could take a look pretty quick for any loose connections under the dash.
Also I just installed LED dome light and replaced the bulbs with LED's and would that have any affect on the door being open only to the remote control?
The LED's in the front required me to pull down on the lighting housing and maybe that could have loosened a cable. I will give those a check and post on the forum at lunch. Thanks

Just did a thorough check and it seems like everything is in working order. But the remote start still wouldn't start the truck. The dashboard display did a system check and said all 4 doors are closed. Does the remote start have its own door sensors built in?

Last edited by jdarling; 10-21-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:53 PM

I finally figured it out. I started the truck holding in the brake. Press and hold the overide button under the steering wheel until it honked 3 times. Let go of the brake and button when you hear the three honks.
Press the black override button once til you hear 3 chirps then press the brake until you get 2 honks. press the remote start button to turn of the door polarity. then press the override button again and it should honk 4 times. then hit the break once so the truck would learn tach and shut the truck off and try the remote start. That seemed to work.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:22 PM

I have the same problem my remote start was working fine, then i installed leds in my map and dome lights, now it gives me the three honks and wont turn on, I have tried the method above but whenever i go to press the black override button for three honks i get 5 honks no matter how many times i press it.

Already had to reprogram it to turn off the mykey and now have to program it past this. -_________-

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jdarling
I finally figured it out. I started the truck holding in the brake. Press and hold the overide button under the steering wheel until it honked 3 times. Let go of the brake and button when you hear the three honks.
Press the black override button once til you hear 3 chirps then press the brake until you get 2 honks. press the remote start button to turn of the door polarity. then press the override button again and it should honk 4 times. then hit the break once so the truck would learn tach and shut the truck off and try the remote start. That seemed to work.
How did you come up with that solution ? I'm impressed.

I went through Barrow a few times by helicopter. Coming and going to Geophysical Research ships.

Started to cool off any yet ?
Old 03-25-2016, 10:58 AM
2005 XLT SuperCrew 4x4

Hi folks,

I know this has been a fairly stale item but, I've got a 2010 F150 SCrew with factory remote start. I recently upgraded the interior lighting to LED's and am now having the problem with remote start beeping 3 times, and not starting.
I tried the steps detailed above, but I'm getting different results (4 beeps rather than 3, and 2 beep rather than the 1). But ultimately the same no-start and 3 beeps when using the remote. Anyone else have any input?
Old 01-18-2018, 10:26 PM

Ii still cant figure this **** out and i do I.T for a living.... I have researched hours and following instructions i get the honks but no LED light to know if the option is on or off under my dash. I guess im screwed have already spent 3 hours trying to re program my remote i ****ed it all up trying to change the remote start idle time to 15 from 10. The system honks 4 times like a door is open but no door is open, remote battery is fine and this worked a day ago before i messed with it..Best best is to leave it alone. Anyone have any input or can help me out let me know if you are reading this thinking to change your settings i would not even bother if you have no LED light near harness.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3 Chirps on the remote start