Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.7L Performance Upgrades? NEED MORE TORQUE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 3.7L Performance Upgrades? NEED MORE TORQUE!

Anyone out there done any performance upgrades to their 3.7? I just got one this week, and while I like most aspects of the truck, the engine is certainly underwhelming. It's still pretty impressive in the higher RPMs, but man it's tough without that low-end torque. So I was wondering who on here has tried to add a little oomph to their truck? I've thought about a CAI, but I hear that the factory air box is already pretty darn good, so I might just get a K&N drop-in filter. But apart from that, anyone tried throttle bodies, exhausts, etc.? I know quite a few people have tuned their 3.7s, what has their experience been? I don't want to compromise reliability or put excess strain on the engine, because I'm hoping for this truck to last me a nice long time.

Any info is much appreciated!
Old 09-29-2016, 06:20 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

subbed
Old 09-29-2016, 06:30 PM

Received 325 Likes on 240 Posts

Honestly, not much you can do for those engines. Enjoy their reliability and fuel consumption, but you wont get much more power out of them short of adding a blower or turbo.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:03 AM

Yeah, I've heard they're pretty problem-free engines, which is good to hear. I checked the air filter the other day, and it was pretty black, so I did get the K&N drop-in filter. While the power really doesn't feel any different, my MPGs did go up a little, especially on the highway, which is nice. I'm a little bummed the MPGs aren't better. They're pretty good for such a big vehicle, but only when maintaining speed on a dead flat road. You touch that gas pedal at all and it instantly plummets. Ah well, I didn't buy a truck for good gas mileage anyways.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2013 STX with the 3.7 and I have done a few mods. Firstly I added a true dual exhaust system. That did not make any noticeable increase in power/torque, but sounds nice. I then added a cold air intake and that felt like it increase hp in the mid to high range by a touch. Then I added the BBK 73mm throttle body ($400) and there was a noticeable increase in power all around. It wasn't drastic, but it is there. The torque jumped a bit too. Lastly I added a Stage 3 (SCT Livewire TS+)($650) with a few custom tunes. This mad the largest increase in torque maybe because it tied all the other mods together. The low end torque from 1100 to 2500rpm feels more like an 8 cylinder now. And the motor feels like it can tow so much more. If you want a true increase in torque and some power too I would do the air filter, tube, throttle body, and the Livewire custom tune. It will cost you, but you will get the power and low end torque increase you are looking for.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:33 PM
4Runner Driver

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm guessing you didn't get the 3.73 gears?

It helps a lot with the less-than-abundant low end torque, I tow with my 3.7 regularly.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:07 PM

Default revised post

Forgot to post my specs - 2013 4x4 3.7 supercab with 3.73 gear. One other way to add a small amount of torque is fill the tank with E85. It's a higher octane (94 here) and adds a bit of power. It burns quicker though. I can't wait to hear the feedback I get on this one. There are some people who think ethanol is the devil's work. My truck loves it. Mileage drops to 13.8ish around town and maybe 18 highway. (3.7 is a Flex-Fuel engine) Power increase with a custom E85 tune on the Livewire is very noticeable. My guess would be 15hp rear wheel. Torque increase is also noticeable and the low end juice seems to be the biggest recipient of the torque.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by astella1
I have a 2013 STX with the 3.7 and I have done a few mods. Firstly I added a true dual exhaust system. That did not make any noticeable increase in power/torque, but sounds nice. I then added a cold air intake and that felt like it increase hp in the mid to high range by a touch. Then I added the BBK 73mm throttle body ($400) and there was a noticeable increase in power all around. It wasn't drastic, but it is there. The torque jumped a bit too. Lastly I added a Stage 3 (SCT Livewire TS+)($650) with a few custom tunes. This mad the largest increase in torque maybe because it tied all the other mods together. The low end torque from 1100 to 2500rpm feels more like an 8 cylinder now. And the motor feels like it can tow so much more. If you want a true increase in torque and some power too I would do the air filter, tube, throttle body, and the Livewire custom tune. It will cost you, but you will get the power and low end torque increase you are looking for.
This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks! It's unfortunate but not unexpected that there isn't just one single upgrade that makes any crazy improvement. But I'm glad to hear that together there can be a difference. I want an exhaust, mostly just because the big truck looks so dumb with the tiny stock exhaust, but I might hold off if there's no noticeable improvement. I probably will do exhaust eventually, though, even if it's just for the sound. I bet it sounds great at 7000 RPM

Also, just out of curiosity, what kind of MPGs are you getting with all these upgrades? I currently have some larger tires on (not huge, 285/75r17s) and am probably netting around 19 highway on a good day, which I feel could be better.

Originally Posted by Mattwrotethis
I'm guessing you didn't get the 3.73 gears?

It helps a lot with the less-than-abundant low end torque, I tow with my 3.7 regularly.
I actually do have the 3.73, which I'm relieved about, because I can't imagine how it would drive geared any higher. Actually lately has been a lot better now that I've driven the truck around for a week or so. I just had test driven nothing but 5.0s, so I was expecting that quick jolt with a tap of the pedal. But now that I'm getting used to the feel of the 3.7 I'm growing to like the truck more and more. I almost would like to switch to the 4.10 gears, but since most of my driving is highway it wouldn't make much sense cause the MPGs would plummet.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:56 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

It seems to me that with the money spent on upgrades by Astella1 You could have just specked a more powerful engine to start.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:58 AM

Default Mileage

I recently put 20" rims with 305/50 tires. They were a closeout and they look sharp, but the impact on my mileage has been huge. I also only drive two miles to work in suburbia. So lately all I can do is 14mpg which isn't really good. When I get on the highway it starts going up slowly. I think it would top out at 19-20. Now, with the original configuration and stock tires and rims I was getting 17 around town and 21-22 on long highway runs. I also forgot to say that the E85 in the tank drops the mileage so that 14 is low also due to that. It should be 16 on regular gas. I havn't had a lot of the time with the SCT tuner thing and have not been able to try the custom mileage tunes yet. They are special tunes made to get you higher MPGs. I hope to use them on future trips. Right now I am using the performance/tow E85 94 octane tune. Oh, here is an image of the exhaust tips straight out the back and the rims/tires.
Attached Thumbnails 3.7L Performance Upgrades? NEED MORE TORQUE!-20161004_114043.jpg   3.7L Performance Upgrades? NEED MORE TORQUE!-20161004_114101.jpg   3.7L Performance Upgrades? NEED MORE TORQUE!-20161004_114107.jpg  

Quick Reply: 3.7L Performance Upgrades? NEED MORE TORQUE!