Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.5 ecoboost oil blow by on turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.5 ecoboost oil blow by on turbo

So my dad has had some issues with his 2014 f150 3.5 ecoboost. He found out yesterday that he was getting a boost leak around the rubber couplings due to oil blowing by them. His truck has 100k miles on it. I have the same year and I'm only at 60k miles so i figured i would start checking everything he is having problems with so maybe i dont have those issues. All my couplers that attach the intake duct to the CAC are tight and show no signs of oil leaking around them. Passenger side turbo looks clean as it can be. Drivers side different story. You can see where oil has blown past the hose and hose clamps and the turbo is covered. Looking at it, it doesnt appear to be the turbo leaking oil. it looks like the air duct isnt attached tight enough to the turbo. So i washed the turbo off so it looks clean again and tightend down the hose clamp hoping this fixes the issue.... Its the exact same on my dads except pretty much everywhere ford put those cheap hose clamps on, air was leaking.......

anything i can do to fix this? Looking at it the hose clamp wasnt all that loose and having two different trucks same year same motor have the same turbo covered in oil then someone has to have found a fix...
Old 11-28-2017, 04:22 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

It is blow by and part of the PCV system unfortunately with a turbo/boosted vehicle. You can try bigger or better clamps and hopefully that will help, but the majority of trucks have this issue due to the design of the system.

I had my truck in for warranty work and asked them about the same thing about a month ago. They took pictures, submitted to warranty, and was told it was normal. They recommended cleaning out all intercooler plumbing, clean all of the plumbing as well, and replace clamps. This of course wasn't covered by my ESP. They fixed the other issues it was in there for, but wouldn't cover cleaning it up.

I've driven turbo cars for the better part of 20 years and they've all had various amounts of this blow by due to PCV systems. If you are that concerned, get better clamps, clean everything up, and tighten them all down good.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My biggest concern was why it only happend on the driver side turbo. Passenger is clean. Looks like knew. Drivers side i used engine degreaser and cleaned it up real good.

I did the wheep hole on the CAC recently so maybe that will help reduce it.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:32 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

It only does it on driver side due to again, the design of the PCV system. Every EB I've seen under the hood with any decent number of miles has this issue. Apparently more oil and blow by goes to that side of the engine than the passenger side.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:39 AM

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

2013, 91K miles here.
When I changed my water pump at 86K had the same blow by.
Seems normal and no ill effects.