Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" or 4" exhaust: MBRP vs Full Race

Old 10-30-2015, 09:05 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 3" or 4" exhaust: MBRP vs Full Race

Was checking out the, what seems to be, awesome deal on a 4" exhaust for my 2012 ecoboost.

MBRP: http://www.cjponyparts.com/mbrp-cat-...d1saAmOa8P8HAQ

At only $300 this seems like a steal. Makes me question the fitment though.

Also, was looking at the good gains for the Full Race 3"

http://www.full-race.com/store/ecobo...-system-1.html

A lot more costly than the MBRP, and the 1" loss in diameter makes me wonder why in the world wouldn't I buy the MBRP.

Better exhaust flow = faster turbo spool = more torque at lower RPM.

I've done some searches, but dont find any comparison between these two exhausts.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:57 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

No it doesnt. There have many guys who have lost low-end torque running a 4" catback. And its even more loss with aftermarket downpipes. Its also been proven that absolutely NO AFTERMARKET CATBACK GIVES ANY LEGITAMATE SEAT-OF-PANTS GAIN!!! Look on full-races site for thier dyno tests.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:00 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

MBRP is aluminized steel, cheapest type of exhaust. If you live in a climate where salt is used in the roads this could rust out after only a few years. I also read somewhere that 4" could almost be too large for ecoboost and hurt performance. Probably why most exhaust system are only 3" for the Ecoboost. Sorry, but I dodn't remember where I read that.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:07 AM
dsa

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I just put a 3" MBRP on my 2014 f150 5.0L. The fitment was great. Like a glove actually. Also, the sound is amazing. It was a little to loud for me inside of the cab so I put the factory resonator back on right after the cats. The sound is perfect. Quiet when sitting still or cruising down the highway, but when you give her some gas, it comes to life and sounds awesome ! For $285 bucks, I'm extremely happy with the system.

I also just had the 4" for the ecoboost delivered to my house yesterday. I'm going to put it on my fathers ecoboost this weekend.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:16 AM

Received 334 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by redcelica
Was checking out the, what seems to be, awesome deal on a 4" exhaust for my 2012 ecoboost.

MBRP: http://www.cjponyparts.com/mbrp-cat-...d1saAmOa8P8HAQ

At only $300 this seems like a steal. Makes me question the fitment though.

Also, was looking at the good gains for the Full Race 3"

http://www.full-race.com/store/ecobo...-system-1.html

A lot more costly than the MBRP, and the 1" loss in diameter makes me wonder why in the world wouldn't I buy the MBRP.

Better exhaust flow = faster turbo spool = more torque at lower RPM.

I've done some searches, but dont find any comparison between these two exhausts.
I did a ton of research before buying my exhaust 2 years ago for my 2013 FX4 Eco...
When it came down to best made, best sound and best gains I settled on Full Race.... It is built very well and fits together like a glove. I have my truck tuned with 5* as well and the combo works really well for me.
I was so worried about exhaust note sounding ricey or too loud with drone.
With the Full Race it sounds like a tuned twin turbo V6 and an awful lot like my wifes Infinity G35. At cruising speeds on the hwy and easy on the gas it is very quite which I wanted. When I lay into it sounds awesome and never too loud or ricey... I like it much better than any of the sound clips I heard from other manufactures exhaust systems.

At 45 years old the last thing I wanted was an obnoxious exhaust on my truck so it took me a full year after buying my truck to finally settle on Full Race. I've been happy every since.

As far as quality the entire system shows zero evidence of rust or wear. Looks almost as new as the day I bought it, shiny and clean.
I have zero affiliation with Full Race, just wanted to give you my personal experience as I prefer to hear first hand experience from others vs mfg's marketing claims when I'm trying to decide on a product.
For what its worth

Danny
The following users liked this post:
mattark17 (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 10:24 AM

Received 334 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa
I just put a 3" MBRP on my 2014 f150 5.0L. The fitment was great. Like a glove actually. Also, the sound is amazing. It was a little to loud for me inside of the cab so I put the factory resonator back on right after the cats. The sound is perfect. Quiet when sitting still or cruising down the highway, but when you give her some gas, it comes to life and sounds awesome ! For $285 bucks, I'm extremely happy with the system.

I also just had the 4" for the ecoboost delivered to my house yesterday. I'm going to put it on my fathers ecoboost this weekend.
haha, too funny. I was typing mine and posted at the same time you were posting so I didn't see until afterwards. We said many of the same things about the two different exhaust systems.

I'll mention I also used the Full Race resonator on mine as well to help keep it quite.
In the south the MBRP will probably be okay but I personally know from previous experience that aluminized metal rust especially in coastal areas and snow and salt areas.
I went with Full Race as they use the best stainless steel and I hate seeing a rusty exhaust on my vehicles so I knew that wouldn't ever happen with their system.
I guess it comes down to $$ and what you're willing to pay in respect to what you will get and be happy with.
Danny
Old 10-30-2015, 11:35 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by biscuit141
MBRP is aluminized steel, cheapest type of exhaust. If you live in a climate where salt is used in the roads this could rust out after only a few years. I also read somewhere that 4" could almost be too large for ecoboost and hurt performance. Probably why most exhaust system are only 3" for the Ecoboost. Sorry, but I dodn't remember where I read that.
Looks like you're right on the low end part, but it did net gains over all.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:41 PM

Received 889 Likes on 582 Posts

I have the 4" MBRP on my '11 EB, granted it was on it when I bought the truck, so I have no basis for before and after. It does have a nice rumble at idle and does get loud when you're on the go pedal, but at cruising speeds its not too loud, to me anyway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3" or 4" exhaust: MBRP vs Full Race