Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2WD vs 4WD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2WD vs 4WD?

Going to pull the triger on a new F150 this weekend. My lean at this point is the s/crew platinum ecoboost. My local has a 2WD that I drove and liked, from what I could tell it looks exactly like the 4WD version save for the decals? But I'm not positive.

So the 2WD platty is 3K less than 4WD version,and honestly ii might need 4WD once a year for a trip or two to snow. I know the 4WD would hold a little more value, I tend to keep my trucks 6-8 years. I just sold my Tacoma which was 2WD

In back of my mind, 3K seems like a lot for 4 by if I don't really need it. Yet.....if I'm spending this kind of money, I think I outta go for 4WD, knowing ill use it a little, and it'll be easier to sell in 6-8 years?

If love some feedback, thx in advance.

Last edited by Acaps; 08-30-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Depends on where you are in the world I guess. If you live in cold weather areas or a place where 4WD is usually more desired, then yes it might be worth it. However, I can almost guarantee you it won't be worth 3k more than the 2WD version in 6-8 years when you are ready to sell or trade in.

I just bought a 2WD EB Platinum and specifically looked for the 2WD. I never use it, more parts and weight, gas mileage is slightly less, and yes visually on a stock truck the only difference you would notice is the 4x4 on the bedside versus nothing there on the 2wd variant.

To me it wasn't at all worth the 3k it would have cost. It sure would be nice to get the 3.73 gears that the 4wd gets, but my last truck had 3.55's and was 2wd and this one is 2wd and 3.31's. Gets up and goes without a problem and gets 22mpg without issue.

I don't live in an area where a 4wd would be worth more than a 2wd when trading in so it was a no brainer for me, but I'm sure in some areas of the country it would matter. However, like I said earlier, it won't net you 3k more on trade in later on down the line so you will still be losing some on that upgrade or option later on.

Just my 2psi
Old 08-30-2013, 11:02 AM
D-H

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

If you're not going to use it, don't get it. Having lived in the north for a long time, I won't buy a truck without 4WD. However, I rarely found myself using it when it snowed. 4WD is great, but it is not a substitute for driving slowly and carefully in inclement weather. Plus, if you don't have snow tires I don't think 4WD is going to help out much.

As for resale, if you don't need 4WD where you live, it is likely that the buyer will not need it either. And the lower price because it doesn't have 4WD may attract more potential buyers.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

We've got a 2012 Lariat 4WD, and have probably used the 4WD 6 times in 19,000 miles --- all during last winter. Notice, I did not say "needed" it.
I never go off road, and for me, its just nice on those really slick snowy mornings to be able to accelerate from a stop sign or when the light turns green as if the snow/ice was not even there. Its merely a convenience --- but also very nice to know I have it there to use when I want. I also have the auto 4WD which is nice to just let the truck decide when it "needs" it.
I could do everything I need to do with this truck in a 2WD version -- but am still glad that I have the added capability built in.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:04 AM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

4x4 for sure, I can't believe they still even make 2 wheel drive trucks, even lots of cars are at AWD these days, lol! If you use it once it pays for itself. Resale will be there. Compare used prices of 2x4 vs 4x4.
The following users liked this post:
HardcoreOffroading (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TJPlatinumEB
Depends on where you are in the world I guess. If you live in cold weather areas or a place where 4WD is usually more desired, then yes it might be worth it. However, I can almost guarantee you it won't be worth 3k more than the 2WD version in 6-8 years when you are ready to sell or trade in.

I just bought a 2WD EB Platinum and specifically looked for the 2WD. I never use it, more parts and weight, gas mileage is slightly less, and yes visually on a stock truck the only difference you would notice is the 4x4 on the bedside versus nothing there on the 2wd variant.

To me it wasn't at all worth the 3k it would have cost. It sure would be nice to get the 3.73 gears that the 4wd gets, but my last truck had 3.55's and was 2wd and this one is 2wd and 3.31's. Gets up and goes without a problem and gets 22mpg without issue.

I don't live in an area where a 4wd would be worth more than a 2wd when trading in so it was a no brainer for me, but I'm sure in some areas of the country it would matter. However, like I said earlier, it won't net you 3k more on trade in later on down the line so you will still be losing some on that upgrade or option later on.

Just my 2psi
What is the difference, benefit, of different gears for someone who doesn't tow?

Your 2Wd platinum run well? Thx
Old 08-30-2013, 11:05 AM

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

I live in an area where about the only way you are going to get a 2wd is by order. I drove a 2wd ranger in HS and when it was 20-30 below and you get stuck even driving around town or get hung up it sucked getting out and having to get out and dig, sandbags and a scoop shovel were a must. I vowed to never get 2wd again. Resale here will be huge 2wd vs 4wd and IMO be more than 3k in resale as well as how long it will take to sell, at least if you do it private party.

So depending on where you live it does make a difference, if I lived in the south it would be for off roading I guess only and could get by no problem with a 2wd and day, but if you live in an area with nasty climate I would opt for the 4wd. Guess it is up to you based on where you live and your needs.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:07 AM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

I always get 4wd, better to have and not need than to not have and need.

The 3k financed over years is minimal.

I have only used mine a handful of times in snow but this week I've used it several times in sand at the beach. It never ceases to amaze me how well it works.

Was goofing around with the wife and got us stuck in 2 and she freaked, then flipped the switch and drove right out!

The LS worked great too.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

The 4wd also sits higher. I'd opt for it if your already spending for a platinum might as well have it all.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:08 PM
POWWWERRR!!!!!

Received 167 Likes on 116 Posts

Get 4x4. It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

Quick Reply: 2WD vs 4WD?