Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd gear slam

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 12:57 PM
New to Fords

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2nd gear slam

When driving across parking lots, real slow, I sometimes step on the gas right as the truck shifts to 2nd gear and the transmission slams into gear. It feels like I just got rear ended.

Anyone else have this issue?
Old 06-10-2014, 01:18 PM

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Yup, I've had it since new. Intermittent, under same conditions as yours. sometimes a small hit, sometimes so hard/loud it scares me. I've mentioned to the dealer several times and they've duplicated it, but no fix. TCM flashes and a fluid flush/refill have made no difference.

Mine is a 2011 3.5L.

Mike
Old 06-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Honey Badger
When driving across parking lots, real slow, I sometimes step on the gas right as the truck shifts to 2nd gear and the transmission slams into gear...
Sounds like it's time for a dealer visit, Honey Badger. How many miles are on your truck?

Originally Posted by mhamershock
Yup, I've had it since new. Intermittent, under same conditions as yours. sometimes a small hit, sometimes so hard/loud it scares me...
I'd like to look into this further, mhamershock. What's the current mileage? I'll see what I can do to help.

Crystal
Old 06-10-2014, 09:09 PM
New to Fords

Crystal,
I've got close to 80K on the truck. I paid the dealer a visit around 20K for this issue and they could not duplicate it. Same as the diveline vibration between 70-80 mph.

they actually told me to run it and wait for bigger issues to come up and then they would fix those. what do you suggest?
Old 06-10-2014, 09:19 PM

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts

This is a very common problem. I have had mine in a few times. First time they diagnosed and had to order a lead frame connector. The second trip in, they replaced the lead frame connector and changed the filter. This fixed the original problem of the hard 1-2 shift, but then I had a rough 3-4, 4-5, 5-6, and 5-4 shifting, so they said to drive for a bit and let it re-learn. This I did, but it still didnt help.
Third time in they reprogrammed the TCM, which was immediately better, but only for a little while (The truck actually felt brand new again).

As soon as I get a chance in my schedule, it is going back.

I currently have 32,500 on mine (2011 XLT 5.0 4x4). I don't remember the mileage off the top of my head when I first took it in, but I bet it has been over 6-8k since.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

...they actually told me to run it and wait for bigger issues to come up and then they would fix those. what do you suggest?
Hi Honey Badger,

It's up to you - if you'd prefer to wait and not make a special visit, you could hold off on returning to your dealer. For me to check out ways to assist, though, I'll need your truck to be at the dealership. If you decide to go ahead and make an appointment, send me a PM with your info and I'll start my research. Be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer info.

Originally Posted by mattd17
...As soon as I get a chance in my schedule, it is going back.

I currently have 32,500 on mine (2011 XLT 5.0 4x4). I don't remember the mileage off the top of my head when I first took it in, but I bet it has been over 6-8k since.
Circle back and let us know what the dealer has to say, mattd17. I'm always around if you need assistance.

Crystal
Old 06-11-2014, 10:03 AM

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

When it feels like you've been rear ended chances are it's not your transmission. Look up TSB 12-7-13 which is out for the rear driveshaft slip/bump issue. Mine is in the shop now to have this TSB applied to it for the same issue as you described.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:33 AM
New to Fords

Originally Posted by Viking1204
When it feels like you've been rear ended chances are it's not your transmission. Look up TSB 12-7-13 which is out for the rear driveshaft slip/bump issue. Mine is in the shop now to have this TSB applied to it for the same issue as you described.

What I'm feeling to totally different. That TSB fixes a slight bump you feel when starting from a stop. What I'm experiencing is a neck snapping slam that sounds like you broke something big.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:02 AM

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

What I'm feeling to totally different. That TSB fixes a slight bump you feel when starting from a stop. What I'm experiencing is a neck snapping slam that sounds like you broke something big.
That's not how I read the TSB. If it feels like you're getting slammed in the back of the truck how in the world do you blame the transmission that is in the front of the truck? The slip is occurring in the rear of the vehicle and that is why it feels like you've been hit in the rear. If it was the transmission you'd feel it under your feet. Mine happens when coasting in the parking lot and I go to give it a little gas, something slips in the rear and it's not from changing gears. I've stayed in the same gear and felt the slam from the rear so I know it's not the transmission.

There is a reason the TSB has the bump in the description. The rear drive shaft is slipping and when it finally grabs you feel the bump like somebody hit you from behind. I've researched this a lot and my Ford dealer has too and we both came to the same conclusion.

Last edited by Viking1204; 06-11-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:28 PM

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by FordService
I'd like to look into this further, mhamershock. What's the current mileage? I'll see what I can do to help.

Crystal
Crystal:

I'm at 58,500 miles. I have the extended warranty. Truck's been pretty solid for me so far. A few issues, all corrected, to this point.

Mike

Quick Reply: 2nd gear slam