Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2024 F-150 limited or wrangler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 10:07 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2024 F-150 limited or wrangler?

I currently have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler. I found a killer deal on a 14’ limited with trading in my Jeep. I’m having a tough time deciding what way to go though. I thought about keeping the Jeep through summer and fining a truck at the end of summer but I’m not sure... it’s a tough decision. I don’t off-road much and if I do it’s no more than limited use roads really. No tight trails, although a buddy of mine wanted to plan a trip to an off-road park close to us this summer. I can see potential want for a truck but I don’t need it as I can borrow a friends whenever I need one. What do you guys think? What way would you go? I have a feeling most on here will say F-150 lol but I’m just looking for opinions. Please state your reasoning for your choice.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:36 AM

Received 716 Likes on 492 Posts

I work on a lot of Wranglers and F150s, to be honest both vehicles have their issues and both are subject to expensive repairs when you're paying someone else to do the labor. I honestly get excited when either show up at my shop because it means I'll probably be busy that day. You didn't mention what engine was in the F150, how many miles it has on it, or much it will cost you, so it's hard to get into specific issues you should be aware of.

The F150 will have a lot of extra features your Jeep doesn't which is nice but it means you have a lot of things that can break and cost you money. If you keep the Jeep and just set the extra money you have for the F150 aside you'll have the cash to cover pretty much every issue that arises with your Jeep. If you buy the F150 you may need to save up a few thousand to cover common repairs quicker than you expect depending on the engine and mileage. If you get an ecoboost, timing chains repairs are far from uncommon, HVAC blend door actuators failures are common and expensive on dual zone climate control trucks, and rusted rockers and cab corners can be a serious issue if you're in the rust belt. There have also been several recalls, some of which are fairly important, make sure there are no open recalls on the vehicle you buy.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:53 AM

Received 214 Likes on 122 Posts

If I were you I would keep the Jeep and wait for the 2024 F150. The new generation is supposed to launch in 2020 so hopefully by 2024 all the bugs will be worked out on it. I am planning on getting a new truck in the 24-26 timeframe myself.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:56 AM
B-52 Chief

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, if it's a 2014 3.5 litre I'd pass. 2015+ I'd say go fer it vs the Jeep.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by SALEEN961
I work on a lot of Wranglers and F150s, to be honest both vehicles have their issues and both are subject to expensive repairs when you're paying someone else to do the labor. I honestly get excited when either show up at my shop because it means I'll probably be busy that day. You didn't mention what engine was in the F150, how many miles it has on it, or much it will cost you, so it's hard to get into specific issues you should be aware of.

The F150 will have a lot of extra features your Jeep doesn't which is nice but it means you have a lot of things that can break and cost you money. If you keep the Jeep and just set the extra money you have for the F150 aside you'll have the cash to cover pretty much every issue that arises with your Jeep. If you buy the F150 you may need to save up a few thousand to cover common repairs quicker than you expect depending on the engine and mileage. If you get an ecoboost, timing chains repairs are far from uncommon, HVAC blend door actuators failures are common and expensive on dual zone climate control trucks, and rusted rockers and cab corners can be a serious issue if you're in the rust belt. There have also been several recalls, some of which are fairly important, make sure there are no open recalls on the vehicle you buy.
The limited has 67k miles, 3.5 ecoboost. I also found a 13 fx4 loaded with the 5.0 and 66k miles. My Jeep is a Sahara model with heated leather which is nice here for ny winters. Unfortunately as I just stated, I am in the rust belt. The limited currently is clean with no rust. My Jeep is a 13’ with 93k on it and also clean with only minor surface rust on parts underneath. The difference on the Jeep vs truck price wise is about 5k, and I would be putting 2k down just to bring the payments down a few bucks. The Jeep is no where’s near paid for so that’s not a factor
Old 04-14-2019, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by ecoboosted
IMO, if it's a 2014 3.5 litre I'd pass. 2015+ I'd say go fer it vs the Jeep.
why 15’+?
Old 04-14-2019, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by 10f150junky
why 15’+?
The second generation 3.5 ecoboost in the 2015+ trucks solves some of the more expensive issues with the first generation such as the timing chains. I personally bought a 5.0 truck because the engine is very simple and as such it tends to be more reliable. There are a few issues such as cooling hose o-rings leaking, or leaking water pumps, but these are cheap fixes and the engines themselves seem to be fairly issue free after 2012.

For a 5K difference between the vehicles I'd probably just buy whatever I liked better. Just make sure you drive it at highway speeds before you buy it, many have complained about vibrations at 60 or 85mph that seem to be impossible to resolve. Personally, I would avoid an ecoboost truck, but if you want one for the extra power and power potential when tuned just make sure you get to listen to it start first thing in the morning before anyone has touched it to see if you can hear the timing chain rattle. This can be difficult because it's hard to tell if anyone started it and shut it off an hour before you got there to hide the issue.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by SALEEN961
The second generation 3.5 ecoboost in the 2015+ trucks solves some of the more expensive issues with the first generation such as the timing chains. I personally bought a 5.0 truck because the engine is very simple and as such it tends to be more reliable. There are a few issues such as cooling hose o-rings leaking, or leaking water pumps, but these are cheap fixes and the engines themselves seem to be fairly issue free after 2012.

For a 5K difference between the vehicles I'd probably just buy whatever I liked better. Just make sure you drive it at highway speeds before you buy it, many have complained about vibrations at 60 or 85mph that seem to be impossible to resolve. Personally, I would avoid an ecoboost truck, but if you want one for the extra power and power potential when tuned just make sure you get to listen to it start first thing in the morning before anyone has touched it to see if you can hear the timing chain rattle. This can be difficult because it's hard to tell if anyone started it and shut it off an hour before you got there to hide the issue.
i thought the tsb for the ecoboost trucks runs up into mid 2015, so wouldn’t that mean mid 2015 trucks were affected? And I have already drove and looked at the limited. It handles nicely compared to my Jeep lol. I also managed to time it just right that on one of our colder nights here I was in right when they opened the next morning to test drive it so it was a good cold start. No chain rattle was experienced.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:19 PM

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts

i thought the tsb for the ecoboost trucks runs up into mid 2015, so wouldn’t that mean mid 2015 trucks were affected? And I have already drove and looked at the limited. It handles nicely compared to my Jeep lol. I also managed to time it just right that on one of our colder nights here I was in right when they opened the next morning to test drive it so it was a good cold start. No chain rattle was experienced.
2015s do have timing chain issues.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:20 PM

You're right I apologize, the gen 2 3.5 ecoboost came out in 2017.

Quick Reply: 2024 F-150 limited or wrangler?