Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 weight loss effect on towing and payloads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 10:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2015 weight loss effect on towing and payloads?

I gotta say I really like the 2015 F150. Like the styling and powertrain choices. Love the interior.

I have been extremely impressed with my 2011 Ecoboost. Zero issues and tows fantastic. This is my first Ford and I am a happy camper. However I had two different Cummins trucks that I was also very happy with.

However, coming from a 2003 Ram Cummins, my current F150 doesn't feel as planted towing. I get more sway and overall I just don't feel as confident towing. The Cummins always felt stable. You could pull a 7000 lb enclosed trailer in the wind at 85 MPH and it felt great. The F150 hates the wind I just get more sway with the same trailers. The power is outstanding and I'm extremely happy with the Ecoboost motor.

Also, my Cummins did not sag so bad when putting dirt bikes or snowmobiles in the back or while towing. I bought the air bags to fix that, but when you look at actual payload numbers, my 1200 lb payload for my 7200 GVW truck is a little light. I go over the payload with 3 bikes. Even if I had the 7650 lb GVW I would be pushing it.

Basically I would much prefer a SuperDuty F250 with the Ecoboost motor. But since that's not available I'm looking at another Cummins. Sorry, but I don't have a lot of faith in the Powerstroke. Love the Duramax but I just don't like the GM truck around it. I find the new body style GM trucks just ugly. Hate the square wheel wells.

I tow enclosed 5000-7000 lb snowmobile trailers about 15-20% of the miles that are on my truck. I would say another 60-70% of my miles are with 1-3 dirt bikes in back. Basically my truck is a toy hauler. So towing stability and payload ratings are really the only reason I'm looking at getting back into another Cummins.

To sum it up I'm wondering what you guys think the weight loss will do for the towing stability. Simple laws of physics tell me its going to be worse, but maybe chassis refinement can make up for 700 lbs? Obviously the 1500-2000 lb weight difference combined with the heavier duty suspension really makes a big difference in how a truck pulls a trailer. Gotta wonder how much is the weight and how much is the suspension though.

But, I'm also curious if you guys think Ford will keep its current GVWs and GCWRs, therefore increasing payloads and tow ratings by 700 lbs? If so that would satisfy my payload needs.

Anyone have an idea when Ford is going to release specs?

My lease is up on my F150 in October and I am at this point thinking of putting in an order for a new Ram 2500 or 3500. However I am really thinking about the 2015 F150 as well.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:24 PM

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GlennRMK
I gotta say I really like the 2015 F150. Like the styling and powertrain choices. Love the interior.

I have been extremely impressed with my 2011 Ecoboost. Zero issues and tows fantastic. This is my first Ford and I am a happy camper. However I had two different Cummins trucks that I was also very happy with.

However, coming from a 2003 Ram Cummins, my current F150 doesn't feel as planted towing. I get more sway and overall I just don't feel as confident towing. The Cummins always felt stable. You could pull a 7000 lb enclosed trailer in the wind at 85 MPH and it felt great. The F150 hates the wind I just get more sway with the same trailers. The power is outstanding and I'm extremely happy with the Ecoboost motor.

Also, my Cummins did not sag so bad when putting dirt bikes or snowmobiles in the back or while towing. I bought the air bags to fix that, but when you look at actual payload numbers, my 1200 lb payload for my 7200 GVW truck is a little light. I go over the payload with 3 bikes. Even if I had the 7650 lb GVW I would be pushing it.

Basically I would much prefer a SuperDuty F250 with the Ecoboost motor. But since that's not available I'm looking at another Cummins. Sorry, but I don't have a lot of faith in the Powerstroke. Love the Duramax but I just don't like the GM truck around it. I find the new body style GM trucks just ugly. Hate the square wheel wells.

I tow enclosed 5000-7000 lb snowmobile trailers about 15-20% of the miles that are on my truck. I would say another 60-70% of my miles are with 1-3 dirt bikes in back. Basically my truck is a toy hauler. So towing stability and payload ratings are really the only reason I'm looking at getting back into another Cummins.

To sum it up I'm wondering what you guys think the weight loss will do for the towing stability. Simple laws of physics tell me its going to be worse, but maybe chassis refinement can make up for 700 lbs? Obviously the 1500-2000 lb weight difference combined with the heavier duty suspension really makes a big difference in how a truck pulls a trailer. Gotta wonder how much is the weight and how much is the suspension though.

But, I'm also curious if you guys think Ford will keep its current GVWs and GCWRs, therefore increasing payloads and tow ratings by 700 lbs? If so that would satisfy my payload needs.

Anyone have an idea when Ford is going to release specs?

My lease is up on my F150 in October and I am at this point thinking of putting in an order for a new Ram 2500 or 3500. However I am really thinking about the 2015 F150 as well.

from what ive heard the 2015 titan redesign is supposed to get an option for a 5.0 cummins turbo diesel. that sounds like it might be of interest to you if you want to stay in a 1/2 ton.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by modru2004
from what ive heard the 2015 titan redesign is supposed to get an option for a 5.0 cummins turbo diesel. that sounds like it might be of interest to you if you want to stay in a 1/2 ton.

Thought about that, but I don't think that it will be out before my lease is up.

I also like the Ecodiesel but the payload numbers are wimpy. In the 800-1000 lb range.

I also prefer domestic, and really prefer the Ford because its assembled in the US by an American company. I guess some are Canadian, but I like Canada too so I can deal with that.

The Ram is made is Mexico by an Italian company, but what can you do? At least the Cummins is American
Old 01-13-2014, 10:33 PM

Received 627 Likes on 445 Posts

I agree with you and would tend to think that the handling dynamics will get worse when towing a significant load with a 700 lb weight loss. If I were you, with the regular towing and hauling that you do, I would have a 3/4 ton diesel.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:34 PM

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts

Less weight typically means less stability. It's easier to push less weight around, simple physics. I've long said 11,000lbs (what properly equipped F150s are rated for) is too much for a 1/2 ton. Ratings don't mean squat when you're hooked to the load in the wind on the interstate. All that matters is how confident your truck makes you. Having towed 10,000 lbs with a half ton and larger loads with larger trucks, I have to say, I wouldn't be confident. Can't blame you on switching, can't go wrong with a Cummins. Got rid of an 01 to get my F150. And I agree about Chevy's square wheel wells, ugh. On another note, the 6.7PS is all new, designed by Ford, and unrelated to the 6.0 and 6.4.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:38 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Just an FYI, there is a 2015 forum here now.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bennyboy
Less weight typically means less stability. It's easier to push less weight around, simple physics. I've long said 11,000lbs (what properly equipped F150s are rated for) is too much for a 1/2 ton. Ratings don't mean squat when you're hooked to the load in the wind on the interstate. All that matters is how confident your truck makes you. Having towed 10,000 lbs with a half ton and larger loads with larger trucks, I have to say, I wouldn't be confident. Can't blame you on switching, can't go wrong with a Cummins. Got rid of an 01 to get my F150. And I agree about Chevy's square wheel wells, ugh. On another note, the 6.7PS is all new, designed by Ford, and unrelated to the 6.0 and 6.4.

While the 6.7 is a big step in the right direction for Ford, I still don't know if its to the same level as the Duramax or Cummins.

I still have friends/acquaintances that have trouble with them. Even as new as 2013 models. Seems like turbos, fuel system problems and radiators are the major issues.

Perhaps the 2015 model will fix these shortcomings, but with Ford's previous track record, I'm not willing to gamble on that with the 2015 Powerstroke.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by SteveLord
Just an FYI, there is a 2015 forum here now.

Whoops, sorry!

Moderator feel free to move it
Old 01-13-2014, 11:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

A lot of purpose built aircraft tow vehicles have extra ballasts added to them so they don't get pushed around as easily. Id take the new F-150 over any other brand still, but I have to say trucks are gradually de-volving to soccer mom mall cruisers. Won't be long before we start seeing fwd based pickups centered on soft rides and plush interiors.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:11 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GlennRMK
I also prefer domestic, and really prefer the Ford because its assembled in the US by an American company. I guess some are Canadian, but I like Canada too so I can deal with that.

The F150 is 100% assembled in the USA. Dearborn MI and Claycomo (KC) MO.

Only Canadian part is the 5.0 Coyote, assembled at the Essex engine plant, in Ontario.

I like to keep my money in North America too. But, was a bit disturbed to find a label on the wiring harness near my fusebox saying "Made in China". What's up with that?!

Quick Reply: 2015 weight loss effect on towing and payloads?