Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Impressions from 2011 FX4 owner...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 05:08 PM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

Default 2015 Impressions from 2011 FX4 owner...

Plenty of threads in the 2015 forum about the new trucks, thought those with 09-14 gen trucks might like to see impressions of a current owner.

Current truck: 2011 FX4 SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost w/ 3.73, 40K miles, owned since new. Full leather

Test Driven: 2015 Lariat Supercrew, 3.5 EcoBoost w/ 3.55. My dealer had exactly one truck in stock and available, and it's one of the larger Ford dealers in the area. Still had tons of 2014 inventory...

Impressions:

Price:
My 2011 FX4 had the EcoBoost, FX4 luxury package, trailer controller, and rear step. Sticker price with destination was $43,650. My price after Ford incentives and dealer discounts was about $36,000.

2015 Lariat had similar leather interior, also had trailer controller and rear step, but additionally had GPS, BLIS (502A), moonroof, 20" 'chrome-like' wheels. Sticker with destination was $55,600. $12,000 more than my 2011 was. I believe the only current incentive in my area is $1,000 customer cash, plus the 'private' $500/$750 brochure/club cash that sometimes applies.

Looks:
"Everything is very familiar but slightly different". That would sum it up... Looks good, but not staggeringly different. I think non-F150 folks could walk right past it in a parking lot and not notice it is a new generation truck.

Interior is a bit more 'super duty' like... Maybe a little bit 'nicer', but really just more different. I like the instrument panel better, but the big square vents less...

Exterior, particularly headlights and grill are a wash. The old FX4's, especially with HID headlights, looked great, other combo's not as nice. New truck with certain grille/color combo's also look great, other combos not so much. The new non-tow side mirrors look goofy to me. From the side and rear, again, I'm not sure a "non enthusiast" would notice it is a brand new design...

Powertrain:
Engine/transmission, I'm a big fan of the 3.5 Ecoboost. 2015 seems to be a bit sharper with the stock tune than my 2011, and transmission shifting program also seems to be a bit better dialed in than my 2011 stock. The new 'sport' mode is nice... It takes away the lazy shifting and rush to sixth gear that you get in normal mode without adding the heavy compression braking that you get in tow/haul.

The truck definitely had more of a growl. I assume is the sound enhancement because it didn't sound at all like a V6 turbo, had much more of a V8 sound. Stupid, but I guess right on target for those that just can't deal with a truck that doesn't sound like a V8.

For me, the 3.5 EcoBoost is what makes the truck. For MY wants and needs, I wouldn't even consider the 5.0 v8 or 2.7 Eco. I want POWER, especially at altitude, and the 3.5 Eco with the right gearing provides huge gobs of it. Fuel economy isn't my priority and I could care less if the 3.5 burns a few hundred bucks a year more in fuel.

Ride:
Smooth, controlled, a bit more refined than mine (though it could just be the very highway oriented stock tires on the 2015 and that I forgot how mine drove with the original tires)

Coolest bits:
What I liked best about the 2015 vs. my truck...
Slow drop tailgate and remote tailgate release. Cool! Amazingly, they still have seemed to not integrate the tailgate lock with central locking?? Maybe it can be programmed, salesman had no idea. [update: evidently it can lock with central locking... wasn't locking on our test drive truck. Maybe you have to turn the option on through the convenience menu]

Boost gauge: Hurray! Ford now has a boost gauge in the dash... It's digital, very small, pretty much impossible to read any specific numbers (goes from 0-20 without any other markings), but hey, better than nothing. STILL only have transmission temp in the 'additional gauges' section, still only have the one cool off road screen. Not really taking advantage of the digital portion of the dash, though they did add a digital speed readout to the dash display.

Engine/transmission refinement: Again, I love my current ecoboost and transmission setup, but the newer one definitely has been 'refined' a bit. Likely nothing more than a good aftermarket tuner could do, but factory with warranty...

[updated] Fold flat floor... This one one of my favorite features in the 2011, and thought it was crazy that Ford then stuck a big subwoofer in the middle if you upgraded the stereo. No more, the subwoofer (if upgraded stereo) is behind the seat now.
Overall:
Positive, no real downsides except the price. Some nice upgrades, but IMHO nothing earth shattering. If I bought a new one, it would be mighty similar to the one I have... I'd go Magnetic (replacing the 2011 Sterling), Lariat with FX4 package (since FX4 is no longer a stand-alone), Black leather interior. Probably upgrade to the sunroof as it is now pretty cool.

Rough Numbers:
If i got a similar deal to my 2011 (invoice - $750 - $rebates), the new truck would be about $50,000.

If I got full book/excellent trade in for my truck, it would be about $28K. For me, don't think it's worth the $22,000 'upgrade'. None of my upgrades would likely transfer over (tonneau cover, bedrug, light bars, etc.) so that would be another few grand getting the truck setup the way I like them. Maybe in a couple of years...

Last edited by pfbz; 01-07-2015 at 09:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KILOFINAL (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 05:12 PM

Received 308 Likes on 247 Posts

that King Ranch I've seen in the 2015 section is money. I'll still keep my 2013 though. No way in hell I would pay full price or at least the price they're at right now.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:20 PM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 493 Likes on 352 Posts

That sound enhancement is so dumb.

Nice review, they are expensive right now, that will change with time though.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:36 PM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

Note that my numbers assumed the dealer would give me a fantastic deal of invoice -$750, which is probably a bit optimistic until they get more inventory. And the rebates will grow a few thousand as well over time, but even great dealer deals and bigger Ford incentives will compensate for the fact that the sticker price for similar trucks has grown about 20% since 2011...
Old 01-07-2015, 06:32 PM

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

I haven't looked at a 15 first hand, just reading release statements and stuff on this board. The new weight reduction should be a big positive from mpg to noticed power, especially in the ecoboost and 5L. Anyway again I know the 15's are nice rides but I just can't see paying 50K+ for a full equipped truck (King Ranch, Lariat, FX4). You've got to have one hell of a trade in or down payment to even make that financially feasible for most of the common working crowd.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:31 PM

Received 570 Likes on 473 Posts

I stopped and looked at a '15 Platinum that would be similar to my '13 in specs. Sticker was $6k higher on the new truck. What I did notice was the GVWR of 7000lb and the payload of 1580lb. 200lb less on the GVWR and 400lb more payload. That's pretty considerable in my eyes. I didn't drive it but the Brunello interior was gorgeous. The console is huge. The media ports are beneath the center stack and hidden below a sliding panel. I like that they moved the sub behind the rear seat as the floor is now completely open and still flat. The bedlights were cool and the assisted tailgate works just like my EZ-Down but it was also easier to raise. Lastly I wasn't a fan of the new seamless back glass in pictures but it looks so nice in person.

I'm dying in the '13 according to the Mrs. but the '15 is nice.
dubsesd (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 07:48 PM
PPPPPuppy Power

Received 887 Likes on 653 Posts

Nice review.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the price though. It's has a lot more options than your '11 that would have increased your msrp dramatically in '11.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo
Nice review.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the price though. It's has a lot more options than your '11 that would have increased your msrp dramatically in '11.
I disagree and the price is my #1 issue with these new trucks. I have a 12' FX4 luxury with everything except navigation, my sticker was $45k. I stopped and looked at a 15' XLT with cloth seats, bench seat up front and less "comfort" items than my current truck has yet it was stickered at $48k ..for an XLT !!! .
ChampWJ (01-08-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 08:46 PM

Received 369 Likes on 201 Posts

tailgate does lock and unlock with central locking, maybe the salesman didnt even know about it.
MCDavis (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 08:47 PM

Received 570 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by dubsesd
tailgate does lock and unlock with central locking, maybe the salesman didnt even know about it.
Please don't post a pic of your new rig...I just cannot stomach it anymore

Do it, do it. Post one.

Quick Reply: 2015 Impressions from 2011 FX4 owner...