Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 SCREW 4X4-squeal at 5th to 3rd downshift and shudder from 3rd to 5th

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 04:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2013 SCREW 4X4-squeal at 5th to 3rd downshift and shudder from 3rd to 5th

In my 2013 5.0L, I just experienced a squeal during the 5th to 3rd downshift and a slight shudder when accelerating from 3rd to 5th. Yesterday, everything was fine. Drove all over town at varying speeds and no problems. This morning it just popped up. Any ideas? Or anyone encountered this? Going to call dealership tomorrow. Very irritating as I have only had it a little over a year and has < 18K miles. Thank you for any insight.

Last edited by AgXLT; 08-25-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:48 AM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by AgXLT
In my 2013 5.0L, I just experienced a squeal during the 5th to 3rd downshift and a slight shudder when accelerating from 3rd to 5th. Yesterday, everything was fine. Drove all over town at varying speeds and no problems. This morning it just popped up. Any ideas? Or anyone encountered this? Going to call dealership tomorrow. Very irritating as I have only had it a little over a year and has < 18K miles. Thank you for any insight.
Let me know what you find out from your dealership, AgXLT. I'll check in to see when you post an update.

Crystal
Old 08-25-2014, 10:55 AM

Taking it by this afternoon. Doing a little research on my own yesterday, I found TSB-14-0100 that describes what my truck is doing. Familiar with that problem or the fix?
Old 09-03-2014, 08:24 AM

Well, they have had my truck a week. I was told that they found coolant in the transmission fluid. Ford advised the dealership to rebuild the tranny as a preventive measure vs. just a flush. Apparently some seal failed and allowed coolant into transmission.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:31 AM

Well, they have had my truck a week. I was told that they found coolant in the transmission fluid. Ford advised the dealership to rebuild the tranny as a preventive measure vs. just a flush. Apparently some seal failed and allowed coolant into transmission.
The ONLY way that is possible is if in addition to the transmission cooler, Ford is using the radiator to help control transmission temperatures. manufacturers will often run the tranmission lines through a section of the radiator to heat up the fluid quicker when its cold and then assist in maintaining temps when things get hot. There would need to have been a breakdown at this area to cause coolant to get in the tranny.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Ford Customer Service

Thanks for the update, AgXLT; it sounds like things are headed in the right direction. I'll be here if you need me to step in and assist.

Crystal
Old 09-09-2014, 10:27 AM

Crystal,

This has been a nightmare. They still have my truck. They just ordered parts yesterday and all of them will not be here until Friday. The service department at Vidalia Ford (Vidalia, GA) is horrible!
Old 09-09-2014, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem and actually got it sound recorded on my cell phone. It has only happened occasionally to me. Took it to the dealer, let the service manager listen to the recording, but the Tech said he could not duplicate so nothing was done. I'll have to check out the TSB, and take it back to them.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Ford Customer Service

Crystal,

This has been a nightmare. They still have my truck. They just ordered parts yesterday and all of them will not be here until Friday. The service department at Vidalia Ford (Vidalia, GA) is horrible!
Send me a private message (PM) with your info, AgXLT; I'll look into ways to help. When writing, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Originally Posted by chukar14
I had the same problem and actually got it sound recorded on my cell phone. It has only happened occasionally to me. Took it to the dealer, let the service manager listen to the recording, but the Tech said he could not duplicate so nothing was done. I'll have to check out the TSB, and take it back to them.
Welcome to the forum, chukar14! I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep on this site. What's your truck's model year and mileage? I'd like to research this further.

Crystal
Old 09-09-2014, 01:24 PM

Thanks Crystal. Just sent a PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 SCREW 4X4-squeal at 5th to 3rd downshift and shudder from 3rd to 5th