Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 FX4 SCrew, No Rear Door Switches?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 FX4 SCrew, No Rear Door Switches?

Hey Gents-

Just picked up a 2014 FX4 SCrew with all the toys - moonroof, rear sliding glass, heated/cooled leather, nav, etc... Lots of buttons and switches to learn. This is an upgrade from my 2005 FX4 SCrew.

One peculiar thing I've noticed is that there don't seem to be any switches for detecting open/shut in my rear doors... Is that by design, or is there a chance they've been disabled in the computer settings somewhere? Specifically, none of the interior lights or cargo lights come on when either of the rear doors are opened, and when the truck is running, I don't get any door ajar messages on the cluster screen. Both front doors work just fine (interior/cargo lights come on, and door ajar messages).
Old 11-13-2016, 09:13 PM

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

My '14 FX4 has them. I know cause every time the kids get in the back I have to tell one of them their door isn't closed. lol I'm sure yours has the switches. I think there are some settings in screen about how internal lights come on, but I'd be surprised if you can turn off the door ajar alarms. Seems like a safety hazard. Maybe a fuse?
Old 11-13-2016, 09:19 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

All 4 doors have the same switch in them, my guess is the previous owner disabled them some sort of way.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:19 AM

After a little research, it looks loke the switch is part of the latch mechanism in the door. Any ideas how it may have been disabled? A jumper in the right place in the pigtail would make the most sense to me... Can anybody point me to a wire diagram?
Old 11-14-2016, 04:18 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Pop the door panel off and look inside at the connector for jumper wires.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:29 PM

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I would venture a guess that a previous owner used Forscan to enable "dark car" on the back doors.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:49 PM

I have this bluetooth OBDII reader:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I downloaded Forscan, and was amazed to discover it was compatible. Dark car was disabled, so I tried toggling it... With it enabled, the interior lights stayed off with the front doors open, but the door ajar alarm still came on. Disabled it, and I'm back to the same place - interior lights come on with the front doors open, but nothing with the back doors, including the door ajar alarm.

Only had a little time tonight to burn, so I'll have to look behind the door panels another day...

*edit*

Played with Forscan just a little bit more... Brought up the PIDs for all of the door switches. Sure enough, driver's and passenger's respond to the doors being opened, but neither of the rear doors ever show as ajar. Looks like they've been electrically (as opposed to programmatically) disabled somehow.

Last edited by cg49me; 11-20-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:24 PM

Well, I pulled the driver's side door panel, and didn't find anything... The sound/vapor barrier stuff (plastic sheet) didn't seem like it'd been pulled before. I pulled the door latch pigtail out, and measured between the door ajar lines (black with violet stripe, which is vehicle ground, and solid green, which goes to the BCM), and there's no short. The ground line *does* make a solid connection to ground (as tested on a random bolt in the door).

Does anybody have any ideas what could be going on here? I'm fresh out, so my next step is to take it to the dealer and let them figure it out. I'd rather not drop the $$$, but it really annoys me that the interior lights don't come on when I open the rear doors!

Happy Thanksgiving all!
Old 11-24-2016, 02:32 PM

Some extensive Google-fu led me to the connector where the door ajar switch plugs into the BCM (which is behind the passenger's kick panel). Ohmed that to the door switch pigtail, and it's just fine. No short to ground there, either.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:55 PM

For anybody that cares, I ended up taking the truck to the dealership to figure this one out. Ended up being a borked BCM. $700 to replace and reprogram - yowchie. It's a new truck to me, though, so I went ahead and had them do it.

The previous owner had spliced into a couple of lines going to the BCM, and had run them out the back of the truck, presumably to a trailer. He'd just cut those lines at the hitch when he sold it, and they were still basically hanging there when I bought the truck. The dealership thinks that probably put some electrical stress on the BCM (excessive loading, kickback voltage spikes, etc.), which is what caused the failure.

Side story, as this isn't really wrapped up yet... Went to pick it up yesterday, and they'd left me a card for the new factory door code in the cup holder. I have a custom code I like to use (easy for me to remember), so I tried to put that in before I drove off. Unfortunately, Sync wouldn't take the new factory code (nor the old one), though the new code worked on the driver's door panel. Walked back in to the service desk, and they came out to see for themselves. They apologized, said that's plainly not right, and asked if I wanted to leave it or bring it back after Christmas. My Ford dealership has a free shuttle, so I said if they didn't mind taking me right back home (they'd picked me up just a few minutes earlier), I didn't mind leaving it with them (I have a Focus as my commuter, so I'm not at a loss for a vehicle). On the bright side, all the lights *did* come on when I opened the back doors.