Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Driveline Clunk

Old 02-19-2019, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 2014 Driveline Clunk - Leaf Springs???

2014 FX4 F150 Ecoboost 60,500 miles. I know this has been beat to death, but I cant seem to find my exact situation/ answer... Truck went to the dealer ship and had the slip yoke TSB performed and clunk came back in less than 500 miles. They seem to think my leaf spring bushings are worn out (and they did show me some spots of wear on the clips and some wear on the bushings), but replacing the leaf springs should fix it. Due to a ton of other issues I had for other items of concern (and problems with the dealership itself) , Ford is covering $470 of the replacement and it will only cost me $300 out of pocket.

Has anyone else found this to be the solution to this problem/ have any input? I have a GoPro that I want to mount under the truck to see if I'm getting a ton of axle wrap, since this is what the suspect is happening... Can they really by that shot when I started getting problems at 50k miles??

Last edited by banshi117; 02-19-2019 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-20-2019, 05:40 AM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

Personally I cant see you spring bushing wearing out after only 60K, but I guess its possible if you do a like or towing, hauling or "offroad" driving. I have just shy of 61K miles on my truck and have a couple friends with 120K+ miles on there trucks and there bushings are still fine. The day I bought my truck brand new(March 2013 IIRC), driving it out of the dealership parking lot I felt this "bump" when taking off from a complete stop. I didn't think anything of it until I got on here and saw that it was a issue many were having. After a couple thousand miles I brought it in and had them perform the TSB. The "bump" went away but came back a couple weeks later. Brought it back to the same dealer and told them the "bump" had come back. They told me, which I think to be complete BS but anyways, they told me Ford upgraded the grease in the TSB because they fold that the original grease used on the truck and the first TSB because it wasn't holding up to the hot temps found in South Louisiana. So they performed the TSB again. The" bump" went away and stayed away a little longer than the first TSB but the "bump" came back again. So I brought it in a 3rd time and they performed the TSB again. Just like the pervious times, the "bump" went away for a couple weeks but came back again. Brought it back in for a 4th time and that's when they decided to change the entire driveshaft. Well surprise surprise, a couple weeks later the "bump" came back. Well because of some other issues I was having with the truck and the dealer Ford Service advised me to go to a different dealership. I went to a different dealership and spoke directly to the service manager. He told me that most techs that perform the TSB only use some of the grease that comes in the kit but you must use ALL of the grease. Well since that day which has been about 4years ago, I have never had the "bump" come back. BUT shortly after having this different dealership perform the TSB for the final time I installed a set of Stiffler Traction Bars. Cant say if the dealerships theory of using all of the grease is what fixed it completely or me installing the traction bars or a mixture between the two but since that day I have never experienced the "bump" again.

Wayne
Old 02-20-2019, 06:45 AM

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

I too would be more inclined to believe it’s the standard slip yoke clunk. Granted my truck is high mileage but it had this clunk and I took it to the dealer to have the slip yoke greased. Tech used about half a tube of the Ford XG8 lubricant. I know because he left the remainder in my cup holder. It may have helped the clunk for a short time but it never completely went away. I felt it leaving the dealership. Fast forward to last week when I removed the rear factory lift blocks to level the truck. An unintended side effect? The clunk is completely gone.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Z7What
Personally I cant see you spring bushing wearing out after only 60K, but I guess its possible if you do a like or towing, hauling or "offroad" driving. I have just shy of 61K miles on my truck and have a couple friends with 120K+ miles on there trucks and there bushings are still fine. The day I bought my truck brand new(March 2013 IIRC), driving it out of the dealership parking lot I felt this "bump" when taking off from a complete stop. I didn't think anything of it until I got on here and saw that it was a issue many were having. After a couple thousand miles I brought it in and had them perform the TSB. The "bump" went away but came back a couple weeks later. Brought it back to the same dealer and told them the "bump" had come back. They told me, which I think to be complete BS but anyways, they told me Ford upgraded the grease in the TSB because they fold that the original grease used on the truck and the first TSB because it wasn't holding up to the hot temps found in South Louisiana. So they performed the TSB again. The" bump" went away and stayed away a little longer than the first TSB but the "bump" came back again. So I brought it in a 3rd time and they performed the TSB again. Just like the pervious times, the "bump" went away for a couple weeks but came back again. Brought it back in for a 4th time and that's when they decided to change the entire driveshaft. Well surprise surprise, a couple weeks later the "bump" came back. Well because of some other issues I was having with the truck and the dealer Ford Service advised me to go to a different dealership. I went to a different dealership and spoke directly to the service manager. He told me that most techs that perform the TSB only use some of the grease that comes in the kit but you must use ALL of the grease. Well since that day which has been about 4years ago, I have never had the "bump" come back. BUT shortly after having this different dealership perform the TSB for the final time I installed a set of Stiffler Traction Bars. Cant say if the dealerships theory of using all of the grease is what fixed it completely or me installing the traction bars or a mixture between the two but since that day I have never experienced the "bump" again.

Wayne
Thanks for the reply. I am 100% sure it went away because of your traction bars. I know over on the Raptor forum, the guys get a lot of wheel hop/ axle wrap on stock leafs but it is eliminated with Deaver springs. This is why I'm somewhat inclined to believe I am getting excessive axle wrap which could be leading to the bump feeling when I accelerate/ decelerate (I can feel the loading and unloading of the spring), which I guess could be bad bushings?? That's what I'm not sure of... The bushings at the shackle are cracked a little bit for sure. I do not tow or haul 95% of the time and typically dont do a lot of rough off roading.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:24 AM

Well, I have no way tell how much lube they used and they arent offering to perform the TSB again at this time.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Starquestbd22
I too would be more inclined to believe it’s the standard slip yoke clunk. Granted my truck is high mileage but it had this clunk and I took it to the dealer to have the slip yoke greased. Tech used about half a tube of the Ford XG8 lubricant. I know because he left the remainder in my cup holder. It may have helped the clunk for a short time but it never completely went away. I felt it leaving the dealership. Fast forward to last week when I removed the rear factory lift blocks to level the truck. An unintended side effect? The clunk is completely gone.
Well, I have no way tell how much lube they used and they arent offering to perform the TSB again at this time. I could remove the driveshaft myself but I dont want to do that until I'm clear of the dealer.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:34 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

It's the slip yoke. I've dealt with this for decades, across many brands. I've found two things that work pretty well. 1) Copper based anti-seize. 2) Lucas synthetic engine assy. lube. It's a green gel with the consistency of honey, and it sticks and stays well.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by PerryB
It's the slip yoke. I've dealt with this for decades, across many brands. I've found two things that work pretty well. 1) Copper based anti-seize. 2) Lucas synthetic engine assy. lube. It's a green gel with the consistency of honey, and it sticks and stays well.
No possible way the leaf springs can be the cause (axle wrap)? That's what I'm trying to eliminate. I've gotten the slip yolk TSB done once already.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:47 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Yes, it's POSSIBLE to be the spring bushings, also hugely unlikely. I've had 13 trucks over the past 40 years and never had a spring bushing issue. They're just trying to make you go away. Slip-yoke clunk has been an issue with trucks forever. I've tried multiple lubes over the years and typical molybdenum greases often don't last more than a couple weeks. The final/ultimate solution is a new yoke. The nickel plating wears through and they start to stick on the output shaft. I know 60K seems like a short lifespan but, spoiler alert..... they've cheapened up manufacturing over the years and the plating on the splines is a perfect example. Again, copper based anti-seize and Lucas synthetic assy lube are the two products I've had best results with. Been there done that.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by PerryB
Yes, it's POSSIBLE to be the spring bushings, also hugely unlikely. I've had 13 trucks over the past 40 years and never had a spring bushing issue. They're just trying to make you go away. Slip-yoke clunk has been an issue with trucks forever. I've tried multiple lubes over the years and typical molybdenum greases often don't last more than a couple weeks. The final/ultimate solution is a new yoke. The nickel plating wears through and they start to stick on the output shaft. I know 60K seems like a short lifespan but, spoiler alert..... they've cheapened up manufacturing over the years and the plating on the splines is a perfect example. Again, copper based anti-seize and Lucas synthetic assy lube are the two products I've had best results with. Been there done that.
They do definitely want me to go away since I've had Ford Corporate involved and they had my truck for a span of 70 days since October, and I keep coming at them with TSB's, research, back up, etc. I also dont want to spend $300 just cause. I'm pushing for the yoke now, but I'm probably SOL on warranty now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Driveline Clunk