Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 5.0 Exhaust....my experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 01:46 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default 2014 5.0 Exhaust....my experience

Back in the day one of the first things I did was to pull the factory exhaust off and put a "performance system" on to uncork the natural sounds of the engine.

Well, mainly due to time constraints, I waited a few months after I got my 2014 with the 5.0 to put on the Borla XS Pro 3"I/O muffler and the Walker Dynomax resonator, with the stock tail pipe.

After firing the beast up for the first time I though "this sounds GRRRReat!" Well, five days later I was taking the Dynomax resonator off and putting the factory unit back on due to the enormous amount of drone at pretty much any RPM above 1300. My kids could hardly be heard from the back seat. Now, that does have its' advantages, but was not sustainable.

The new, more civil tone of the Borla with the factory resonator was just what I was looking for...until I hooked a trailer to it and drove while it was raining. Drone and more drone, but not as bad as before. Even without the trailer, when humid or raining, the drone was more present (verified by SPL meter and Frequency Analyzer).

Well, afeter about 6 months of this, I picked up a cut-off factory Raptor muff/dual tailpipe set up off CL. Out came the borla and single tailpipe, in went the Raptor unit. Back to quiet with no drone.

Couple of things I learned were as I get older, and the daily commute gets longer, the quiet can be nice; and, bandclamps are a great way to assemble a system for ease of disassembly.

The Borla, Dynomax, facotry tail and intermiediate pipes are now on CL in NH waiting for thier next chance to make a truck louder for that individual who may not have a 2+ hour commute, and enjoys the rumble of the engine.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,205 Posts

That was a big part to why I chose the truck I did when shopping. There was the eco limited and a 5.0 fx4 luxury. Both pretty similar vehicles except the 5.0 had an after market in front of tire exhaust. After 5 minutes I was annoyed with and didn't want to spend the extra money to replace it. The eco was also a little cheaper to begin with as it had a few more miles on it. I have loved the quiet of the eco on long trips!
Old 10-27-2017, 03:45 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Thumbs up

I've had my Raptor exhaust system (with resonator delete pipe) for over 2 years now.

Nice throaty purr.

INSTALLED: Raptor Exhaust

Last edited by gDMJoe; 10-27-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:22 PM

Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

My complete OEM Raptor system (500 miles on system when removed and 2000 on my truck at that time) nearly 3 yrs ago. I love its deep note which is not obtrusive or tiring even when towing. Appeals each and every time I fire it up and motor down the road. The Raptor owner I bought it from installed FoMoCo's performance Raptor system (by Borla IIRC). His loss / my gain...
Old 10-27-2017, 04:46 PM

Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

Corsa Sport with resonator delete is the ideal setup in my experience. No drone whatsoever, and with the windows up you'll hardly notice it unless you floor it. Outside the cab it's a lot meaner than stock, and if you go full throttle you'll probably wake up the whole neighborhood.

I've been in vehicles with loud exhausts before and they sound loud inside the vehicle as well, where with this one the sound only seems to come from the exhaust tips, and not underneath the whole truck.

​​​​
Old 10-27-2017, 08:12 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

My '13 - 6.2 had a Roush system on it when I bought it last April. It was the worst droning, cackling thing I ever heard. I kept the nifty dual tips out the bumper but replaced the "muffler" with a 3" OEM type and a 3" Magna-pak for a resonator.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:15 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I put on a magnaflow 12249 (18”) with stock resonator on my 2014 5.0 after reading reviews on this site. I like it most days although it does drone between 1600-1800 rpm (I only heard this from one person here...maybe it was WXman?). I find the drone annoying when I’m tired or after a long, hilly road trip where the truck is under load in the drone range, but most days I like the more aggressive sound (and so do my kids ) and she sounds great over 2k rpm.

Last edited by re-fresh; 10-27-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:34 PM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a 13 with a 5.0. installed a Flowmaster 40 series. They just cut out the factory muffler and installed the Flowmaster. Nothing else, sounds great, not too loud but not too quiet either. Highly recommend.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:14 AM
Old Fart

Received 1,220 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryB
My '13 - 6.2 had a Roush system on it when I bought it last April. It was the worst droning, cackling thing I ever heard. I kept the nifty dual tips out the bumper but replaced the "muffler" with a 3" OEM type and a 3" Magna-pak for a resonator.
I was like Perry. and had the Drone Master........... I mean Roush on my 6.2 and put the Stock resonator on it along with the Borla Pro XS and there is still a little drone but I will be fixing it again since the girl did a 50 MPH modification to it.
You can go buy a Ram and have drone from the stock exhaust like my rental has
Old 10-28-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtDawg
My complete OEM Raptor system (500 miles on system when removed and 2000 on my truck at that time) nearly 3 yrs ago. I love its deep note which is not obtrusive or tiring even when towing. Appeals each and every time I fire it up and motor down the road. The Raptor owner I bought it from installed FoMoCo's performance Raptor system (by Borla IIRC). His loss / my gain...
Just curious what the "complete" system you refer to is. Is it cat-back or was it more than that?

Only reason I ask is that I've seen systems listed on Craigslist including the headers all the way back and then most others that are from the cat-back.