Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Lariat - Left Front Tire Humming Sound Similar To Mud Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2013 Lariat - Left Front Tire Humming Sound Similar To Mud Tires

Hello everyone and an early "Happy Thanksgiving" to you all!

I have a slight problem with left front tire. It started about a month ago and is intermediate at the moment.

I have a 2013 Lariat Supercrew 5.0 and about a month ago I was driving my truck on a two hour trip and noticed a strange sound coming from my left front tire.

It sounds similar to people who have mud tires on their trucks, it a low "humming" sound that sometimes sounds like a grind but more like humming.

This noise happens randomly. It started becoming noticeable between 30-40 mph and also if I let off the gas while coasting down the highway it would do it.

Now it happens randomly between all speeds, when I left off the brake, and when I also apply the brake to slow down.

I have take the truck to the dealership twice, they don't know what is causing it. The first time they rotated my tires to see if it would go away - it didn't. The second time (yesterday) they told me that it *might* be a wheel bearing assembly that would cost me $400 to fix.

That's a big expense for something that *MIGHT* fix the issue and *might* not. They never bothered to actually inspect the hub or anything like that, after I repeatedly asked them to after watching a Youtube video on an issue that sounds similar.

So I'm not sure what could be causing the issue. It is only on the left front tire. I don't want it to get any worse though so I felt like I needed to make a post see if any of you guys might have experienced a similar issue.

For the record I have the 100k mile powertrain warranty but I'm not sure if this wheel issue would cover it and of course the dealer acted like they didn't know either.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old 11-23-2016, 08:26 PM
JJM

Received 180 Likes on 136 Posts

Jack the tire up, grab it at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions and see if you can wiggle it. If there's movement, it's probably the wheel bearing.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, check the bearings.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:20 AM

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

iwe for 4 wheel engauge?
Old 11-24-2016, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a very similar issue and it turned out to be caused by a broken vacuum line going to the IWE (integrated wheel end).