Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 F150 - Noise in 2WD, not in 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2013 F150 - Noise in 2WD, not in 4WD

Hi,

I have a 2013 F150 Platinum with 32500 miles.

Problem:
When driving from 0 to 15 mph in 2WD, I can hear a faint 'moaning' noise underneath intermittently. The noise usually stops when traveling faster than 15 mph. Also, when driving in the same range of 0-15 mph, the noise will stop when switching into 4WD.

This noise happens when accelerating at low speed, coasting at low speed, or braking from low speeds.

From reading, it appears it is coming from the IWE vacuum hoses, but I saw a TSB 45310 that says to replace all IWE and there is a service kit for it.

What is the most common cause and fix?

Is this condition something that would be covered under my powertrain warranty?

What parts (if anything) will deteriorate/fail the longer I wait to get to fix it?

Am I better off driving in 4WD-Auto until I fix the issue?

..finally, does anyone know of any images/videos that show the hoses in my year of truck, and how to replace if that is the issue?

Thanks for any info here.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:19 PM

The vacuum hoses tested 20psi on three tests.
Where should I look next?
Ford recommended changing out 4X4 seals to see what happens. Has that ever been an issue? I'd like to nail down a probable solution before seeing what happens.

Thanks for any insight here.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:08 PM

To add here, when I heard the noise last night - it definitely sounded like it was rotation related. Could hear what sounded like a revolution where it got a bit louder at one point of the revolution.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:49 PM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I've seen the shift ring delaminate from the IWE and cause these noises, just remove the hose from the Fwd vacuum solenoid until you get it fixed, IMO
Old 01-18-2017, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cj7jeepoffroad
I've seen the shift ring delaminate from the IWE and cause these noises, just remove the hose from the Fwd vacuum solenoid until you get it fixed, IMO

^In this scenario, what would need to be fixed? Replace IWE's?

I am hoping this will be a drivetrain warranty fix but yesterday the Ford dealership I went to was guessing and I did not want to commit to replacing '4x4 seals' when they really were not sure what the noise was after checking hose pressures.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cj7jeepoffroad

Is there a diagram or video available that shows how to do this on a 2013?
Old 01-24-2017, 08:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by time

I am hoping this will be a drivetrain warranty fix but yesterday the Ford dealership I went to was guessing and I did not want to commit to replacing '4x4 seals' when they really were not sure what the noise was after checking hose pressures.
I feel your pain!!! I have had this issue since last winter.

My 13 Limited exhibits the exact same symptoms, especially in the 10-38 degree range outside and only in 2WD. For some reason, when it's colder than that it doesn't seem to do it. I had it in last week and of course the dealer says they can't hear anything. As soon as I pick it up (after service dept closed) I hear the noise again as soon as I go to leave the dealership (and get charged almost $100 'diagnosis' fee). I call the dealer as soon as they opened the next day and they say bring it back. I just took it back tonight. Hoping for a better response.

I got ahold of a Ford Service person on these boards that seems to be able to get the dealership to somehow get their butt in gear and fix the issues. Hopefully they can get me situated.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by suprteacher
I feel your pain!!! I have had this issue since last winter.

My 13 Limited exhibits the exact same symptoms, especially in the 10-38 degree range outside and only in 2WD. For some reason, when it's colder than that it doesn't seem to do it. I had it in last week and of course the dealer says they can't hear anything. As soon as I pick it up (after service dept closed) I hear the noise again as soon as I go to leave the dealership (and get charged almost $100 'diagnosis' fee). I call the dealer as soon as they opened the next day and they say bring it back. I just took it back tonight. Hoping for a better response.

I got ahold of a Ford Service person on these boards that seems to be able to get the dealership to somehow get their butt in gear and fix the issues. Hopefully they can get me situated.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear you are having this problem as well. Please reply back if you get any answers on this issue or point me to your thread if you have one. I need to stop into a different dealer to get their take. I don't feel comfortable starting repairs on something they admittingly said were guesses at this point.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:22 AM

Is there a diagram or video available that shows how to do this on a 2013?
All you have to do is unplug this hose and put a cap over the port on the solenoid. The solenoid is located next to your brake booster
Attached Thumbnails 2013 F150 - Noise in 2WD, not in 4WD-iwe001_zps9fa8f1fa.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
time (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 09:25 AM

Yes replacing the IWE is the only option.