Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 F-150 Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 05:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Default 2012 F-150 Electrical Issues

I have had numerous problems with this vehicle and they all seem to center around the electronics in the vehicle.

The various malfunctions I have experienced:
  • Remote start fails to work consistently. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. It may honk the horn, flash the headlights and various other odd behaviors but doesn't start the vehicle.
  • Navigation - the navigation directions volume is significantly lower than the radio making directions impossible to follow.
  • Sync/Navigation/Radio - Sync was stuck, no volume, no radio volume, no way to disconnect until turning off vehicle and restarting.
  • Passenger window will not roll down.
  • Sliding rear window does not work consistently. It has sporadicallly operated properly but 95% of the time it just doesn't slide open.
  • Moonroof tilt switch works occassionally.
  • Moonroof slide switch will not open the roof, though it will tilt the moonroof.

I did get the roof to slide open today, however it is now stuck in the open tilt position. I can not get it to fully close.

These issues seem to all point to some overall "electrical" or "computer" problem. Has anyone else experienced these problems? I am out of warranty now so the current moonroof and rear window problems could require money out of my pocket.

I've become quite dissatisfied as to the overall quality of this vehicle. A $50,000 sticker price opens up a huge selection of other vehicles and I feel that this truck is of extremely poor quality.

Last edited by jimrockford; 09-27-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you venting/trolling or wanting help? It sound like you already gave up and want another vehicle. It's a 2012 have you been to dealer for any warranty or tsb work.

Have you been to the dealer even and asked about specific problems and cost of repair?
Have you tried to unhook the battery and reset the pcm, or ask the dealer to update sync?

Maybe if you whine a bit more a Ford rep will contact you and hold your hand for you...

Just breaking your *****, feel free to insult or make fun of me. I'm cleaning up dog puke out of my f150 right now...
Old 09-28-2015, 01:07 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 315 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by jimrockford
I have had numerous problems with this vehicle and they all seem to center around the electronics in the vehicle.

The various malfunctions I have experienced:
  • Remote start fails to work consistently. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. It may honk the horn, flash the headlights and various other odd behaviors but doesn't start the vehicle.
  • Navigation - the navigation directions volume is significantly lower than the radio making directions impossible to follow.
  • Sync/Navigation/Radio - Sync was stuck, no volume, no radio volume, no way to disconnect until turning off vehicle and restarting.
  • Passenger window will not roll down.
  • Sliding rear window does not work consistently. It has sporadicallly operated properly but 95% of the time it just doesn't slide open.
  • Moonroof tilt switch works occassionally.
  • Moonroof slide switch will not open the roof, though it will tilt the moonroof.

I did get the roof to slide open today, however it is now stuck in the open tilt position. I can not get it to fully close.

These issues seem to all point to some overall "electrical" or "computer" problem. Has anyone else experienced these problems? I am out of warranty now so the current moonroof and rear window problems could require money out of my pocket.

I've become quite dissatisfied as to the overall quality of this vehicle. A $50,000 sticker price opens up a huge selection of other vehicles and I feel that this truck is of extremely poor quality.
Hi jimrockford!

I can help with the SYNC and navigation issues. Have you tried a master reset: http://owner.ford.com/sync-technolog...ync-navigation

I also suggest checking for software updates. Log into your Owner account: Owner.Ford.com Select the SYNC & HOW TOS tab then CHECK FOR SOFTWARE UPDATES. If you don't have an account, select REGISTER.

I hope this helps. You can reach out to our Customer Care Division for your other concerns: https://www.f150forum.com/members/fordservice-47652/

Shaay
Old 09-29-2015, 03:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by g0rilla
Are you venting/trolling or wanting help? It sound like you already gave up and want another vehicle. It's a 2012 have you been to dealer for any warranty or tsb work.

Have you been to the dealer even and asked about specific problems and cost of repair?
Have you tried to unhook the battery and reset the pcm, or ask the dealer to update sync?

Maybe if you whine a bit more a Ford rep will contact you and hold your hand for you...

Just breaking your *****, feel free to insult or make fun of me. I'm cleaning up dog puke out of my f150 right now...
Yes venting. Just completely frustrated with this vehicle. It's been in for service, several times. I've demonstrated an issue right to the service advisor, and also showed him a video. He looks at me like I'm an idiot. They attempt to address these problems individually since no one has the initiative, or brains, to understand these are all "electrical" problems. And despite my suggestion they fail to look a this big picture of what's going on.

And I just returned from a drive where I tried to open my driver side front window. Didn't work. Passenger side - didn't work. But the rear windows both work. Wonderful.

Done venting.

I just wondered if anyone had similar issues since the dealership(s) have been unable to correct the problems.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:13 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

Jim, as far as the remote start try replacing the FOB battery. Mine did the same type stuff. I replaced the battery, and it worked fine. Remember there are a lot of variables that will cause the remote start to act up. Range, trees, etc. Some days I think I can start mine from a mile away, other I can stand 10 feet away, and it won't work. Nature of the beast I guess.

And just a thought. The electronics in today's vehicle can be reset by simple unhooking the positive battery cable for a few minutes. Never know, it may be just that simple. Good luck.

And do the master reset on the Nav/Sync as suggested Shaay.

Quick Reply: 2013 F-150 Electrical Issues