Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 ecoboost timing chain replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 ecoboost timing chain replacement

I currently have a well equipped, low mileage 2013 ecoboost FX4 that up until a couple months ago ran perfect. I was about a month out of my 5yr powertrain warranty when my timing chain needed replaced with only 35K miles.
The dealer 1st replaced the intercooler because it had an underboost code. But a week later I had the timing sensor code. They credited me $300 (about half) for the intercooler but didn't budge on the timing change replacement.
I suspect the ECU was reflashed because my driveability is sluggish unless I really floor it. My both highway and city mileage is also down about 3 mpg. I'm frustrated almost every time I drive my truck!
I have no confidence with my dealership.

Have any recommendations?
Old 04-22-2019, 08:44 PM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Underboost condition and they replaced the CAC. That just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:51 PM

Received 2,952 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Having owned a 2013 FX4 with 3.5 eco...and having replaced 3 timing chains...the under boost code is result of the timing being out of sync and as such the turbos are slowed right down this giving a code. Its all part of the protective process to keep the engine from grenading when the timing is off by so much. The truck will be sluggish, and if the turbos do kick in they probably only do at much higher rpms. I used to get the underboost codes too...they were always associated with the timing issues.

Have you gotten engine codes? P0016? So have you gotten the timing chain replaced? its sort of unclear.

Whatever you do, don't get it done at a dealership. Find a good reputable tech shop and have them replace everything in the front end. Timing chain, VCTs, tensioners, guides...etc.

If your truck is running really sluggish then I suspect the timing is out quite a bit. There is a concern when you get too far out of sync and if the chain skips a tooth. One tooth is cause for concern of course...skipping two teeth and as the 3.5 eco is an "interference engine" there is now a risk of the valves contacting the pistons...and if that happens...1-800-crate engine!

Last edited by Stu Cazzo; 04-22-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately my Ford dealer replaced the timing chain but unless I floor the gas pedal the driveability seems lazy-sluggish. When I am driving on the expressway at 60mph and gently press on the gas pedal to pass it drops fro 6th to 4th but seems like I need to give it even more gas pedal. I am disappointed almost every time I drive it. I was always thrilled with the response before the timing replacement. Gas mileage is off too. 2 to 3 miles lower on both city & highway.

I see you have an 18 Lariat 5.0. I've been thinking of trading for 5.0 Lariat. My truck was almost perfect w/ 35,000 miles 1 month out of Ford's powertrain warranty. How many miles for 3 timing chains? I was told they had that issue fixed w/ new parts.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:47 PM

Received 176 Likes on 130 Posts

If they replaced the chain and it is not driving correctly, take the truck back until they get it right. They have to warrant their work.

Quick Reply: 2013 ecoboost timing chain replacement