Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 lifted f150 loud bang under hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 lifted f150 loud bang under hard acceleration

Hey, I have a 2012 f150 screw ecoboost with a 4 inch rancho kit, I am experiencing a loud bang that I can feel up through my center console when under hard acceleration when it struggles to get traction It seems, could anyone give me ideas of what to look for, I looked under the truck and nothing seems loose and I really cant replicate

Just looking for ideas on what it could be thanks
Old 11-05-2012, 11:20 PM
Elite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its possible if the U bolts were taken off or swapped they may not have been torqued to spec and the axle is twisting. Just a thought, somewhere to start.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deco12
Hey, I have a 2012 f150 screw ecoboost with a 4 inch rancho kit, I am experiencing a loud bang that I can feel up through my center console when under hard acceleration when it struggles to get traction It seems, could anyone give me ideas of what to look for, I looked under the truck and nothing seems loose and I really cant replicate

Just looking for ideas on what it could be thanks

Contact Rancho they have a great tech staff.

Good Luck,

Chris
Old 05-02-2015, 05:17 PM

Been a while but still have the issue no one has ever really been able to diagnose, found another person with a youtube video of what mine does, its gotten alot worse since I tuned, if I slam gas on interstate sometimes I will feel the bang/thud under center console but mostly happens when I accelerate hard from a stop. Tired of not being able to drive how I want, I have priced out a new leaf pack from national spring if that would help but I hate to spend $1200 and not solve the issue.

Here are some pics I took today of transfer case mount, front shaft for 4wd angles etc to see if anyone has any input,

Any advice or anything would be greatly appreciated.
2012 lifted f150 loud bang under hard acceleration-photo-3.jpg

2012 lifted f150 loud bang under hard acceleration-photo-2.jpg

2012 lifted f150 loud bang under hard acceleration-photo-5.jpg
Old 05-03-2015, 10:17 AM

bump, anyone have any opinions or advice? I am stuck between ordering new leaf pack to replace blocks to see if it helps or just trading it in, since I put this custom tune it has become quite a bothersome problem,

thanks for any help
Old 05-03-2015, 12:35 PM
Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If that video is an accurate representation of the sound it's making, then I'd say your issue is wheel hop, and it's most likely caused by axle wrap. The cheap out is most likely traction bars, I think there is a guy or two on here with them. Eliminating the rear blocks with aftermarket springs should help, but I have little experience with the relationship between those springs and wheel hop. Getting rid of the blocks reduces the axle wrap by lowering the torque effect on the springs, and I've never seen a Raptor owner complaining that his new Deaver, WSI, or National springs caused axle wrap issues. Pop in the Raptor forum and ask those guys about it if you want to know for sure. I think you'll find that group extremely knowledgeable about aftermarket springs in the F150 platform.
My truck had wheel hop issues with factory rear suspension after I installed my headers, but mine got cured by replacing the RS9000 shocks I had with Bilsteins. The Ranchos valving couldn't manage the tires once the hop started regardless of the setting. I didn't get the t-case banging against the truck, but the exhaust would hit the spare tire well and frame when it started.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:17 PM

Really, I appreciate the help, I am going to visit there and ask too, I just don't understand why so many other lifted tuned ecoboost dont have this same issue, unless for some reason certain lifts cause the transfer case to have even less clearance

Quick Reply: 2012 lifted f150 loud bang under hard acceleration