Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 fx4 hockey stick removal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:09 AM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 2012 fx4 hockey stick removal?

when i bought my truck, i liked everything except the hockey stick on the side. i took it because on the black truck it isn't as obvious and does not look too bad. i still get a desire to remove it thought but here is my question.

i have had the truck a year, i live in Texas (heat/sun).

1 - how hard is it to remove it?
2 - if i do, being through a Texas summer do you think it will be noticeable after removal from paint oxidation?

thanks!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:19 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't taken mine off yet. Something about it that I like, is that on my black truck, it is pretty subtle, yet it is just enough to make it stand out as being different than everybody else. I have removed a ton of these graphics over the years, and I know that this one will come very easy with a hair dryer or heat gun. I can't say whether you will notice it in the paint after a Texas summer, but I would think that a good cleaner wax or buff after you remove it, and it should not be noticeable. I had a truck that was 3 years old once before I took the decals off. All I had to do was use some good Meguiars, and a quick buffer job, and you couldn't tell. I'm still torn whether to take mine off or not. We'll see how I feel after all this cold weather is gone and I can spend more time outside doing stuff to the truck. Good luck!

Rev
Old 02-20-2013, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Reveye
I haven't taken mine off yet. Something about it that I like, is that on my black truck, it is pretty subtle, yet it is just enough to make it stand out as being different than everybody else. I have removed a ton of these graphics over the years, and I know that this one will come very easy with a hair dryer or heat gun. I can't say whether you will notice it in the paint after a Texas summer, but I would think that a good cleaner wax or buff after you remove it, and it should not be noticeable. I had a truck that was 3 years old once before I took the decals off. All I had to do was use some good Meguiars, and a quick buffer job, and you couldn't tell. I'm still torn whether to take mine off or not. We'll see how I feel after all this cold weather is gone and I can spend more time outside doing stuff to the truck. Good luck!

Rev
thanks for the info! i am hopeful to hear from others.

i did forget #3

3 - how do i convince my wife? for some reason she likes it better with the stick!
Old 02-20-2013, 01:22 PM

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts
Default My Wife....

...wouldn't ride in the truck with the "hockey sticks" in place.....

Took them off the first night home. Along with the hood graphic and FX4 bed stickers.

If it's warm outside, you won't hardly need the hair dryer...they will just peel off.

I DO NOT recommend using a Heat Gun.....they get very hot very fast...even on the low setting.....and can damage your paint.

Here are some pics...before and after of my 2013 FX4......

Good luck!

Northlight
Attached Thumbnails 2012 fx4 hockey stick removal?-img_0468.jpg   2012 fx4 hockey stick removal?-img_2598.jpg   2012 fx4 hockey stick removal?-img_2616.jpg   2012 fx4 hockey stick removal?-img_2819.jpg  
Old 02-20-2013, 01:24 PM

Received 579 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by Northlight
...wouldn't ride in the truck with the "hockey sticks" in place.....

Took them off the first night home. Along with the hood graphic and FX4 bed stickers.

If it's warm outside, you won't hardly need the hair dryer...they will just peel off.

I DO NOT recommend using a Heat Gun.....they get very hot very fast...even on the low setting.....and can damage your paint.

Here are some pics...before and after of my 2013 FX4......

Good luck!

Northlight
Much better.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:25 PM

Received 579 Likes on 406 Posts

PS: a heat gun about 18 inches away and quick movements make it easy. I didn't have a hair dryer...
Old 02-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

I would only consider keeping the hockey stick stripe on a black truck. Maybe If it was matte white on a white truck, but I'm doubting it.

On my FX4 stickers I used a heat gun on just the edge, and peeled slowly, flashing the heat gun on the surface, not on the part you're peeling. Keeping it on one place for any period of time could really mess up the paint, as a heat gun as mentioned gets damn hot.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 PM

there is NO way i would have bought that in white unless i was having the dealer take it off before i left the lot. i think i mentioned that only one i was wiling to do was black.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by HardcoreFXFour
I would only consider keeping the hockey stick stripe on a black truck. Maybe If it was matte white on a white truck, but I'm doubting it.

On my FX4 stickers I used a heat gun on just the edge, and peeled slowly, flashing the heat gun on the surface, not on the part you're peeling. Keeping it on one place for any period of time could really mess up the paint, as a heat gun as mentioned gets damn hot.
Hardcore, did that intake give you 34 more horse? how was the mpg effects?

thanks!
Old 02-20-2013, 01:52 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Originally Posted by eztarget

Hardcore, did that intake give you 34 more horse? how was the mpg effects?

thanks!
No change in power by the butt dyno, but I have seen some really great mpg numbers in my truck lately. Could be a combo of the new tires and intake, but I doubt the intake made a difference. It does make a really neat noise and should help with airflow once I get my HF cats and tune put on. But I mostly bought it for the awesome look it gives the engine bay!

Quick Reply: 2012 fx4 hockey stick removal?