Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 F-150 5.0V8 or 3.5EB?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 F-150 5.0V8 or 3.5EB?

Hello again - I'm back looking for forum help as I continue to look at used F-150's. I have two trucks that are contenders... both are 2012's:

- Each has about the same mileage, 45K
- Each is very similarly equipped regarding options, to the point that what one truck has and the other might not is irrelevant, they are nearly identical and each has the options I'd be looking for.
- Each truck is a local truck (meaning in state California truck) and each according to CarFax has had regular maintenance performed at Ford shops.
- Ultimately, besides color, the biggest differences are what's under the hood: 3.5EB or 5.0 V8

Window Sticker on EB http://www.windowsticker.forddirect....gMv3GEuGbY4%3D

Window Sticker on V8: http://www.windowsticker.forddirect....FW1EFXCKE36164

I'm aware of some of the early issues with the EB's - most notably the moisture in the turbo problem - but beyond that I see very little concern with a very well maintained EB with that few miles. As my needs are primarily a daily driver, mostly around town and no towing, and MPG isn't a concern, which direction would be the wisest? Still, I'm drawn to the V8 maybe because of my age and having a bias towards "old school is better than new school".

Thanks once again for any comments and if there's any specific service questions or things I should take a close look at if I am going in the EB route, they are very appreciated.

Last edited by maybeaford; 12-03-2017 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Added URLs
Old 12-03-2017, 09:12 AM

Received 364 Likes on 287 Posts

very similar equipped trucks. Id say its a toss up coming down to driving both and closely inspecting the condition and picking the better color combo. The 5.0 and 3.73 would be an awesome combo though
Old 12-03-2017, 09:15 AM

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The early 5.0's 2011-12's some had a engine cylinder knock. It was said to be cylinder bore distortion. I have a 2012 that had that issue and i got a new short block this past year under warranty. It usually is more annoying than anything and doesn't interfere with the function or longevity in most cases. My truck started faintly doing it at around 26k and at 52k ford replaced it as you have to be persistent and document in most cases to even get them to try to replace it. If it has the knock you can hear it under the truck for sure. If in a cold climate or weather start the truck cold and listen as the block warms up, temp gauge moves but not fully warm you should hear the knock as the block expands. could be on either side, most seem to be on the passenger side # 3or 4. you can search that here and see more about it. nice trucks too by the way, good luck with your hunt
Old 12-03-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 364 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Koolponycar
The early 5.0's 2011-12's some had a engine cylinder knock. It was said to be cylinder bore distortion. I have a 2012 that had that issue and i got a new short block this past year under warranty. It usually is more annoying than anything and doesn't interfere with the function or longevity in most cases. My truck started faintly doing it at around 26k and at 52k ford replaced it as you have to be persistent and document in most cases to even get them to try to replace it. If it has the knock you can hear it under the truck for sure. If in a cold climate or weather start the truck cold and listen as the block warms up, temp gauge moves but not fully warm you should hear the knock as the block expands. could be on either side, most seem to be on the passenger side # 3or 4. you can search that here and see more about it. nice trucks too by the way, good luck with your hunt
GM v8's were suffering from the same issue a few years back too. Piston slap. It never hurt anything and was largely ignored. I have a Chevy work truck with a 6.0 that has been doing it for a decade
Old 12-03-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2012 5.0 with 3.73. 95K on it. The only problems I have had is a rear pinion seal leak, under warranty and a coolant t fitting leak. I would buy one again.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all. The EB is currently my first choice. It is a 1-Owner Truck, leased, with full service records on CarFax at the same dealer it is now being offered for sale.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:05 PM

Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts

If you are planning to keep it for a long time, I would go with the V8.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 214 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by rrp0968
If you are planning to keep it for a long time, I would go with the V8.
Agreed, the V8 is a simpler less trouble prone motor plus N/A is always better than boosted for power delivery, no lag to deal with. But I would drive both and make your own opinion on it.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:47 PM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,205 Posts

Originally Posted by maybeaford
Thanks all. The EB is currently my first choice. It is a 1-Owner Truck, leased, with full service records on CarFax at the same dealer it is now being offered for sale.
As others said, drive them both, check both out, and then buying used generally comes down to service of the vehicle by the previous owner(s). If well taken care of then that would be the truck I purchased. I don't care which engine as both are great.

If the 5.0 has cylinder warp there isn't much to prevent this but only in 1-2% of the 5.0's.

The ecoboost biggest issue is timing chain and generally if good oil change maintenance it can be prevented but still only 1-2% of ecoboosts will have this.

Make sure you get to listen to both upon first start of the day. That is when you will hear most issues. If poor service records or noises upon sitting overnight walk away instantly.

I was in your same boat last March. I bought my ecoboost because it had the better service records and the 5.0 had a terrible exhaust added to it that I didn't want to worry about replacing.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:29 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

I love my truck and I would buy another tomorrow. I'd be hesitant to buy the 3.5 just based upon cost of possible repairs down the road.