Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 XLT Rubber Parts Cracking and Falling Appart

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 XLT Rubber Parts Cracking and Falling Appart

I have a 2011 F150 XLT Screw that has some of the rubber components cracking and falling appart. The first issues was with the door check rubber umbrella seals on the front doors. I have had those repalced twice now. The second is with the rubber air dams behind the grill on either side of the radiator. Those parts are cracking and falling appart. I guess I can expect to replace those parts every 12000 miles.

Has anyone else had a problems with this?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:55 PM
One Bad MoFoMoCo Owner

Received 394 Likes on 259 Posts

Neither of those must be common, or you see tons of posts on here. Take to the dealer to replace under warranty.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:25 PM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by texasbill
I have a 2011 F150 XLT Screw that has some of the rubber components cracking and falling appart. The first issues was with the door check rubber umbrella seals on the front doors. I have had those repalced twice now. The second is with the rubber air dams behind the grill on either side of the radiator. Those parts are cracking and falling appart. I guess I can expect to replace those parts every 12000 miles.

Do u have a pic of door check rubber umbrella seals? I think I know what ur talking about, but not sure exactly. I noticed mine looked like falling apart, but I don't know what they looked like before.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Truck Wheelin'

Thought I was the only one with this problem. Yes and it's on a 2012. Also, Ford must have had bring your kids to work day when they friction taped the looms on my truck; well, that combined with bad tape. The tape has peeled off on virtually every loom from headlights to trailer hitch wiring.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Juggernaut

I just noticed the umbrellas on my truck a couple of days ago, now to check the rubber next to my radiator.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:58 PM

Noticed mine the other day too and the rubber boot around the door catch is rotted in half, mentioned to a co-worker and he walked over and looked at his and they too were shot. Mine is a 2011 and his a 2010. Will look at the other rubber on the the truck too.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:24 PM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by truckwheelin

Thought I was the only one with this problem. Yes and it's on a 2012. Also, Ford must have had bring your kids to work day when they friction taped the looms on my truck; well, that combined with bad tape. The tape has peeled off on virtually every loom from headlights to trailer hitch wiring.
Believe it or not, they aren't meant to stay wrapped all the way to the connector. The friction tape holds the connector down to the harness, they grab and rip it off an plug it in. Every one I've seen is just like that, from the trailer harness to the air temp sensor on the intake right after the air filter.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:34 PM

I'll try and get a pic up of the door check umbrella seal later today.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Truck Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 93Cobra#2771
Believe it or not, they aren't meant to stay wrapped all the way to the connector. The friction tape holds the connector down to the harness, they grab and rip it off an plug it in. Every one I've seen is just like that, from the trailer harness to the air temp sensor on the intake right after the air filter.
To clarify, the problem is that the friction tape has lost adhesion with virtaully all the looms on my vehicle, which is less than a year old. There were no problems for the first 2 or 3 months. By month 6, most of it completely unraveled and fell off. The vehicle has not seen any harsh conditions and other Fords I've owned had the original friction tape at 10 years and well into 6-digit mileage. I understand you are saying that it is part of the install process, but there are other locations that are taped to hold retainer pins or mid-section portions of loom closed that are intended for more than temporary use. I'm guessing it's either an issue with the loom having manufacturing oil on its surface or failure of the tape's adhesive.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:36 PM

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

texasbill,

I just came across this old post while looking for something else.

My door check rubbers cracked and were replaced. My rubber air dams are tearing and coming apart too. My truck is a 2012.

Green Gem

Quick Reply: 2011 XLT Rubber Parts Cracking and Falling Appart