Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 XLT Rear End Whine On Decel

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 XLT Rear End Whine On Decel

I have a 2011 F150 XLT Screw with about 24000 miles. At about 12000 miles I started getting a whine coming from the rear when I decel from any speed higher than 60mph. Had the dealer look at it and said that it was normal....the SM of the shop had the same thing with his truck and that is what they compared it to. Well my gutt and past experience says that the rear should not make any noises what so ever.

What is everyones elses opinion....is the whine a sign of damage/wear or a "normal characteristic" of the truck?
Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 AM

Received 398 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by texasbill
I have a 2011 F150 XLT Screw with about 24000 miles. At about 12000 miles I started getting a whine coming from the rear when I decel from any speed higher than 60mph. Had the dealer look at it and said that it was normal....the SM of the shop had the same thing with his truck and that is what they compared it to. Well my gutt and past experience says that the rear should not make any noises what so ever.

What is everyones elses opinion....is the whine a sign of damage/wear or a "normal characteristic" of the truck?
I never noticed mine doing this. but i will listen a little closser on the way home. I had a mustang do that once. turned out i didn't tighten the pinion nut enough when i put the gears in. i tightened it up and sound went away.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:54 AM

Received 538 Likes on 448 Posts

definitely an issue to address. Gears should be silent
Old 10-18-2012, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would expect to hear a whine in the rear axle if you would have said you had over 100k on it but not at 24k! From my past experience with my race truck I had to my jeep TJ 4x4 to other muscle cars, you should not be hearing a whining noise in any condition. Now I'm new to ford so I don't know, but I just sold my jeep TJ and bought a brand new loaded F-150 with the 5.0L and if there's a whining noise coming from the rear axle at 24k on yours then I hope I made the right choice in getting one. It sounds like you might have a bearing going out. You have warranty on it so I would definetly keep taking it back until someone does something about it. Have you hauled any heavy trailor loads or anything like that? Also is yours a Eco boost?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:54 AM

I have hualed a trailer and have had about 1000lbs in the bed before but nothing that would have overloaded the truck. Yes it is an ecoboost but that really should not have anything to do with the driveline. It does have a 2 piece driveshaft though.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing, 14,000 miles. tech said pinion bearing is the culprit. I noticed from day one that the rear diff in this truck was "clunky" compared to my old 3/4 with 120k on it. I think poor setup is probably the issue, like they didn't have enough bearing preload to begin with.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:35 PM

How did you get the tech to not say that is was a "normal characteristic" of the truck? My shop said that is was the same as others on the lot and the SM truck and not to worry about it. I told them at the time that those were probably bad as well.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Take it to a different dealer. Rear diff should not make noise period. Mine qas pretty loud. I can hear it over the radio and if I play with the throttle I can make it louder. If they wont fix it call the number in the back of you manual and start the process there. I did that with my tires and my dealer was calling within an hour to schedule a time for replacement
Old 10-19-2012, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was asking if yours was an Eco boost because it sounds like quite a few people are complaining about something be wrong with there Eco boosts! it's just something new that ford is getting started and like all things new, you gotta give them time to work the bugs out. Plus I was gonna see if maybe the noise you were hearing wasn't just your twin turbos spooling up or down. Alot of people aren't use to driving a turbo powered vehicle let alone twin turbos, so I didn't know if maybe what you was hearing could have been them. Also it doesn't sound like you've pulled too heavy of a load, seeing how the Eco's have a 12,000 lb towing capacity. At least that's what the dealer was telling me when I got my new F-150 a couple weekends ago. I opted for the 5.0L though instead of the EB because that was too new of a setup for me to give that a try right now. I'm one of those guys when something new comes out I have to let be out for a couple years before I buy one just to let them get rid of the bugs. I do agree with the other guy though, you need to take it to a different dealer. Get that fixed while its under warranty!
Old 10-19-2012, 04:26 AM

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Extreme F-150
I was asking if yours was an Eco boost because it sounds like quite a few people are complaining about something be wrong with there Eco boosts! it's just something new that ford is getting started and like all things new, you gotta give them time to work the bugs out. Plus I was gonna see if maybe the noise you were hearing wasn't just your twin turbos spooling up or down. Alot of people aren't use to driving a turbo powered vehicle let alone twin turbos, so I didn't know if maybe what you was hearing could have been them. Also it doesn't sound like you've pulled too heavy of a load, seeing how the Eco's have a 12,000 lb towing capacity. At least that's what the dealer was telling me when I got my new F-150 a couple weekends ago. I opted for the 5.0L though instead of the EB because that was too new of a setup for me to give that a try right now. I'm one of those guys when something new comes out I have to let be out for a couple years before I buy one just to let them get rid of the bugs. I do agree with the other guy though, you need to take it to a different dealer. Get that fixed while its under warranty!
Fyi the 5oh and the ecoboost came out at the same time. So they are both relatively new. Although the truck eco differs from the car. As my father always said "dont buy the first year model change" Lucky for me no real issues with my eco yet.

Quick Reply: 2011 XLT Rear End Whine On Decel