Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 tpms

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 tpms

I know that there are many threads on this topic but all that I have read have referred to a different year and what seems to be a different type of TPM sensor. So I am hoping someone can help.

I just ordered a 2011 FX4 Super Crew and I was told by the dealership that I could not order the 20' rims due to them not being available. I called and confirmed this with a Ford rep. He stated due to the disaster in Japan there is a restriction on those rims and no longer available. So I am getting my new truck with the stock 18's that I am not fond of. In which is where I need someones help. I want to purchase some after market rims. I am looking at the XD Revolvers. I have not decided on 18's or 20's. How do I utilize my stock TPMS on my aftermarket rims. I went to a local discount tire shop and they advised me that they dont deal with banded TPMS. I did some research and I now understand that the new 2011 F150's have the banded TPMS and the band is only good one time. But I still want to know and understand how and what do I need to do to get my stock TPMS into my new rims? Also what an estimated cost will be. I do not plan on using the stock tires and rims ever.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by IAFF FFMCROSS
I know that there are many threads on this topic but all that I have read have referred to a different year and what seems to be a different type of TPM sensor. So I am hoping someone can help.

I just ordered a 2011 FX4 Super Crew and I was told by the dealership that I could not order the 20' rims due to them not being available. I called and confirmed this with a Ford rep. He stated due to the disaster in Japan there is a restriction on those rims and no longer available. So I am getting my new truck with the stock 18's that I am not fond of. In which is where I need someones help. I want to purchase some after market rims. I am looking at the XD Revolvers. I have not decided on 18's or 20's. How do I utilize my stock TPMS on my aftermarket rims. I went to a local discount tire shop and they advised me that they dont deal with banded TPMS. I did some research and I now understand that the new 2011 F150's have the banded TPMS and the band is only good one time. But I still want to know and understand how and what do I need to do to get my stock TPMS into my new rims? Also what an estimated cost will be. I do not plan on using the stock tires and rims ever.

Thanks
I don't think I would want 20' rims on my truck even if they were available.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. I ordered the same truck on July 1st and had no problem ordering with the 20" wheels.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

If they have bands...you buy a new set of bands because you have to cut the OEM bands off...slip the sensors in the new bands on the new wheels ...good to go...remenber any good tire shop will do this for you...so...the shop that told you that...don't use them. PS sensors are installed across from the stem at the 6 O'Clock position.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:17 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

My 2011 with 17" rims had the TPMS in the valve stems. Just put them in 20 inch wheels without a problem.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:06 AM

Don't know where your info came from but ford stopped the banded sensors because of the sensors spinning on the rim. I have checked about 8 dealers in Maryland and PA and they said the 2011 all have rubber valve stems and the sensor is screwed to the bottom. It's the newer style, even chevy is using it. And I wouldn't go back to that tire shop, they won't be in open long if they don't do work on tpms systems. Half the work I do is oem to aftermarket tpms systems. Just have to make sure the new rims have the same inner lip on them. There will be a set of letter stamped on the inside of the rim after the size and width example 17x7.5 JJ. The JJ is the inner lip the sensor is formed to fit flush against.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:07 AM

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

I've got 4 genuine Ford tpms valve stem 2011 sensors sitting beside my winter rims in the basement. No bands here...
Old 08-04-2011, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have a related question. I have a 2011 FX4 Screw with 20" wheels and will be swapping them for a set of 2010 Raptor wheels which are being sold with the sensors. Will those sensors work with my 2011...does the tire shop need to reset them or do anything when they mount new tires, or are they good to go?

I guess I could remove the sensors from my 20" wheels and put them in the Raptor wheels if necessary, but I'd prefer to sell my current wheels with the sensors and mounted tires since they only have 1K miles on them.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:56 AM

The 2010 and 2011 sensors should be the same. Every time the wheels are serviced the tpms system will have to be reset. What they will have to do is a relearn with the serial numbers of the new sensors. It is fairly easy. Should be no problem.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Did not think they went back to bands...make's it mucho easier just to swap stems and re-learn.

Quick Reply: 2011 tpms