Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 SCrew, 1.5" level and BFG All-Terrain KO's

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 02:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up 2011 SCrew, 1.5" level and BFG All-Terrain KO's: pics

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on a level and some new tires.

Measuring the truck, there was only a 1.5" difference between the front and rear from the ground to the edge of the fender above the tire. I asked the installer about the level kits they use, and he informed me that they are pretty true to their stated height, so I opted for a 1.5" level instead of a 2" level. I want the truck to be level, but not sitting like it's going up-hill. I picked the truck up at lunch, and the front and back measure exactly the same now.

I am getting the tires installed tomorrow. I am replacing my 275/55/20 Pirelli's with LT275/65/20E BFG A/T KO's.

Here is a picture of the before and after with the level. I'll post tire pics tomorrow.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

In case you're wondering about the color difference in the two pictures, here's what it looks like outside here in the city of Lubbock today, less than 1/4 mile visibility in town now, and 5-10' or less (yes that's feet) visibility in spots outside of town due to brown-out conditions. My folks are stuck north of town on the interstate behind a pile-up and can't see a thing:

--nathan

Last edited by silver_pilate; 12-19-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:52 PM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

will be interesting to see. personally don't care for the tire choice, I had BFG's & didn't like them at all. they came on the truck I had (B2500) & were new, but wore terribly & rubbed - oversized. the truck was only 2wd. I put the Michelin LTX MS series on there. better ride, mpgs, & no more road noise / rub. they had just as good or better traction to boot. good luck & post pics.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:10 PM

There seems to be a love/hate relationship with the BFG's. They are still one of the highest rated AT tires, and I've seen lots of good reviews as well as a few negative ones. This will be my first set, and I have no doubt they will be better than the Pirelli's I have now. I'm hoping they'll last much longer as well with the proper inflation/rotation.

Now someone else needs to post about how much the LOVE the BFG's to make me feel better .

We'll see how it goes.

--nathan
Old 12-19-2012, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kmac1036
will be interesting to see. personally don't care for the tire choice, I had BFG's & didn't like them at all. they came on the truck I had (B2500) & were new, but wore terribly & rubbed - oversized. the truck was only 2wd. I put the Michelin LTX MS series on there. better ride, mpgs, & no more road noise / rub. they had just as good or better traction to boot. good luck & post pics.
You can't dislike a tire that was improperly sized for a vehicle and wore out because of it. The BFG A/T are excellent tires always a good choice. There may be better tires, better bargains, but for a solid choice the BFG is never bad. Owned a couple sets lasted well over 50K miles, quiet, look awesome, and are beasts in the snow which is what I use them for mostly.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:29 PM

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

ok... I really do love the BFGs on the right vehicle. I have an FJ Cruiser with BFGs and it is awesome... I drove it up in kentucky year before last in heavy snow and it was the best snow tire I had ever used. Yes the tires have some road noise but the whole FJ has road noise so it blends right in. I also had a set on my 76 Bronco for years... great all around tire and once again the road noise was not an issue because the Bronco was crazy loud anyway. I also had a set on an older F150.. loved them... Daughters boyfriend just put a set on his new Chevy .... he loves them... I have considered another set for my Bronco which has super loud Pro Comp Muds on it now... they are defening... But I may stick with a mud tire for that truck.

I have considered them for my 2011 platinum but... I am not sure I want the road noise on this truck... I am spoiled to the smooth quiet ride I have now with the stock Pirellis... which others say are loud and hate... A buddy of mine just put BFG ATs on his 2010 F150 and he loves them... he says he doesnt mind the slight road noise.

So I am still undecided... I lean toward the quiet Michelins one day then lean toward the classic good looks and rugged ability of the BFG AT the next day. No doubt they look good on a F150.

Please post up pics and let us know your thoughts on the ride and comfort level...

Greg
Old 12-19-2012, 04:19 PM

Will do. One positive when it comes to road noise is that these newer F-150's are so well insulated to noise. This is the quietest truck I've ever owned. It should help cut some of the noise down as compared to an older Bronco or Truck.

--nathan

Last edited by silver_pilate; 12-19-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:27 PM

Agreed... that is why I am very interested in your experience.
BTW... I like the 1.5" level... looks good.

Greg
Old 12-19-2012, 04:43 PM

Received 216 Likes on 163 Posts

Ive had BFG AllTerrian KO's and they were good BUT!!

Im now using BFG Rugged Terrian T/A 275/65/20=34.1"
They are quiet, ride better, handle better, clean better

Today was the first time I used them in Wet wet wet Vancouver snow, I tried them in 2wd flipping amazing compared to the KO's I used before, KO's seemed harder ride they don't clean as well in mud, and traction on wet was not that Impressed. The Traction today was shocking for a LT Tire. Plus they look alot nicer and have a better tread.

I wish the RuggedT/A's came in a bigger size for all year round, but Im going to 325 BFG KM2's for my summer camping tires.

Name:  tire-rugged-terrain-t-a-results.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  16.4 KB

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  23.9 KB

2011 SCrew, 1.5" level and BFG All-Terrain KO's-532593_10151185247042852_505453295_n.jpg
Old 12-19-2012, 05:18 PM

It is kind of funny how on the different forums people like and dislike similar items... When I was bought a new Tacoma a few years ago I started hanging out at that forum... since the Tacoma came with the Rugged Trail tires many people trashed that tire... nicknaming it "rugged fail" I never had a problem with them and I really liked the tire.

I bought another f150 and came on here and everyone bashes the pirelli tires... I have almost 40k on mine and they have been a good tire for me...

I just wonder sometimes if all the bashing is because people want new / bigger tires so bad they bash the OEM tires to convience themselves it is justified to go get a new set.... or maybe to convience their wives... LOL.

For me the Rugged Trails did exactly what they were designed to do... good solid tire for mixed use... The BFG AT has a much stronger sidewall so it would be better for rough terrain and towing heavier loads and more stable in the larger sizes... but it isnt going to be as smooth and quiet as the Rugged terrain.

So I can agree with GPG as well as still support the AT KO

BTW... my next tire for the Bronco will most likely be the BFG KM2

Greg
The following 2 users liked this post by Blue_76:
Grandpa's Grocery Getter (12-19-2012), yotehunter (12-20-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 05:33 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by silver_pilate

Now someone else needs to post about how much the LOVE the BFG's to make me feel better .

We'll see how it goes.

--nathan
I love my BFG All Terrain T/A KOs! I've put them on my last 3 trucks and have yet to be disappointed.

Level looks good too!
The following users liked this post:
Half_ton (12-21-2012)

Quick Reply: 2011 SCrew, 1.5" level and BFG All-Terrain KO's