Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Remote Start Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Remote Start Help

I have one of the plug and play units on order. I decided to investigate a little to see where everything was by poppin the pass side cover on the dash. Here is the problem......The TPMS is NOT located where the pictures indicate on another thread here. Should be right beside the heater tube for the mirrors but it is nowhere in sight?? Where else do they put the tire pressure modules in these things?

Yes the truck does have the pressure monitoring system but they obviously tucked it somewhere else

Update: See page 2 for end result

Last edited by Scram; 01-16-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:04 AM

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts

I will take a pic of mine and post it for you. It is behind the vent tube a little, maybe yours is different but I'll post a pic so you can verify.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:24 AM

OK found it. Feel like an a** now!! It is directly underneath the heat tube. I was expecting to see it off to the right but went back out, stuck my head in there further, lifted up on tube and there it was. Tube was blocking it from view. Thanks Matt

On another note is there anything I need to be aware of when they activate it? On that same thread I referred to it says to go to vehicle, settings, scroll down 5x and the remote start options will be there. On my truck this will take you to the courtesy wipe screen. Can you tell me where it shows up on yours??
Old 01-14-2012, 11:43 AM

when they activate the starter, they use their IDS computer to "turn the feature on". afterwards, when scrolling through the LCD screen menu, you will see the settings under the "vehicle" settings.... you will then see a remote starter option. In that setting, you can adjust the remote starter run time, front defroster, rear defroster, climate control, and quiet start options.

dont worry about feeling bad.... when i was installing mine, i could not find where to plug in the single wire for teh antenna bar..... after looking for 20 minutes, i came back to the forum and found out the port is also on the TPMS, directly below the main wiring connector. here is what i am talking about, maybe it will help you avoid the trouble of searching for it!

for the other end of the "antenna bar" it can mount on the metal framing above the airbag compartment. it comes with a couple zip ties as well:

i installed the main "brain" of the starter directly in front of the glove box. you can only see it when you pop the glove box completely down. it will mount nice and flat on the heater/blower box. here is a pic:

Hopefully this helps you. as for the dealer side of this, it should only take them about 5 minutes to activate. its very simple.

good luck!!!
Old 01-14-2012, 12:10 PM

which remote start kit is that?

please give me more info please.

will i need new key?
thanks
cody
Old 01-14-2012, 12:13 PM

Yep it does! Thanks for taking the time to take the pictures and post, Much appreciated. I'm sure others will find this helpfull too. There are some pics on another thread but you need to dig way deep into it to find them on page 17 or somethin like that.

CaperJ supplied the ids activation instructions to take to the dealer since they have no clue. Like most all of the dealers around here say thay sub their remote starts out. I already let them know they might want to rethink this on the 2011+

Third 3rd party who was familiar with this system quoted 160-180 to install and activate a 15 minute job!! I can get something way more elaborate installed for that money.

Now I still have 2 more questions: Do you have the one way or 2 way in yours?
and do you have any trouble with it shutting off when you open the door?

Last edited by Scram; 01-16-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: name correction
Old 01-14-2012, 12:17 PM

This particular kit is part number: CL3Z-19G364-A, and i got it through Tasca, for like 187.00. Luckily my dealer activated it for free, and i installed myself. it does not need a new key, but does have a seperate FOB. it is the one way unit, and that is the ONLY negative i have to say about it (sometimes i think it is started, then walk outside to find out otherwise.... not a huge deal, but the 2 way system would avoid that... but also costs more).

the only part not shown in the pics above is the windshield mounted antenna. i mounted it below the rearview mirror a few inches to increase the effective range. i dont think it looks bad, and it definately helps it work better.

ohhh, it does not shut off when opening the door, or when putting my foot on the brake..... HOWEVER..... if i am sitting inside the truck, and open the door while it is locked, and remotely running..... then it will shut off, and sound the panic feature on the horn...... talk about embarassing when you dont want it to start blasting.......

i suppose that if you opened with the key from outside would do the same thing, so you must unlock with remote to avoid this!

Last edited by mattd17; 01-14-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:31 PM

I lied.......actually 3 questions lol. Does the 2 way kit still have the antenna bar that mounts above glove box since it has the windshiled antenna?

Cody,

Originally Posted by codysanborn23
which remote start kit is that?

please give me more info please.

will i need new key?
thanks
cody
There are three plug and play kits for the 2011+

One is the factory installed equivalent That kit will come with 2 new keys with the extra button for the remote start where there is a blank button now. The range of this one is only 300' and it is the least costly. Once programmed all of your keys will work in the vehicle but obviously only those with the start button will remote start it.

The next in line is the 100 series. This requires an antenna be mounted on the windshield but increases the range to 1000'. You will not get the 2 new keys with this kit, it comes with a seperate key fob.

The 200 series is the same as the 100 but it comes with an additional shock sensor that you mopunt to the dash support tube above the glove box. If I understand correctly it is the same range and also has the seperate key fob.

I opted for the 100 series. I don't care about having a seperate keyfob but need the extended range. The shock sensor on the 200 series isn't a requiremnt for me either.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:35 PM

So they all have the windshield antenna??? or is this some kind of hybrid?Everything I read on here said the base kits comes with the new keys and not a fob and does not have the winshield antenna Hmmmmmm

Last edited by Scram; 01-14-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: huh
Old 01-14-2012, 04:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scram
So they all have the windshield antenna??? or is this some kind of hybrid?Everything I read on here said the base kits comes with the new keys and not a fob and does not have the winshield antenna Hmmmmmm
Only the 100 & 200 systems have the windshield mounted antenna. The system that comes with the new replacement keys with integrated remote start button does not have a windshield mounted antenna, this is why it has limited range at 300'.

Quick Reply: 2011 Remote Start Help