Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 F150 5.0 Rattling (Rocks in a can)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 10:51 PM

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Default 2011 F150 5.0 Rattling (Rocks in a can)

This randomly started happening after Washing the truck. My only guess is that some rocks fell down into a heat shield of some sort? My question is where?

It is coming from the front end can't tell if it's passenger or driver. I'm assuming I had some mud/pebbles under the truck and when I washed it the rocks fell down into some crevis/Heat shield and is vibrating when I lightly get on the accelerator.

It only makes this sound when starting up the truck and when lightly accelerating.

Has anyone experienced this? Or know where I should be looking?

Old 06-28-2017, 11:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is my guess. After trying to track down a rattle of my own (different from your sound), I noticed that my left rear rotor dust cover contacts my rotor when tapped. When you get a chance, go out to your truck and tap on your rotors with your fist. 80% sure that's what the sound is. Basically a vibration noise. Check it out and let me know.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:16 PM
How's she goin' eh?

Received 588 Likes on 488 Posts

I also have this sound and experience it when you're experienceing it. I'm guessing a loose heat shield.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:00 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Check the exhaust cross pipe near the oil pan, I had a clamp break loose and it was making a similar noise. The clamp is about a 1/4" wide.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:37 PM

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Took it up to belletire to get it looked over (Free diagnosis anyways so why not). Truck checks out fine. The only thing, I'll need to replace my tie rods soon. So the buzzing wasn't from anything bad. It ended up being a heat shield under the truck. The weld broke and it was slightly hanging from what he described. So it would vibrate against the other part of the heat shield. I can't remember exactly where the location of the heat shield was. They were really busy and I didn't want to keep everyone waiting.. From what I understood he said Somewhere by the transmission where the exhaust comes over?

Never the less he ended up fixing that for free which I appreciate a ton. Ended up tipping the dude $10 anyways. Woulda tipped a $20 if I had one on me.

Anyone else that is having this problem I'd advise to take it up to a Local mechanic. Just have them jack it up. I went to belletire because it's free diagnosis. Got the problem fixed and I found out I need tie rods soon lol. Win win situation.

I'll leave the video/thread up in case someone finds this useful in the future.