Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 eco won't turn over (intermittent) anyone deal with this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 eco won't turn over (intermittent) anyone deal with this?

So all of a sudden one day my 2011 f150 ecoboost (XTR 4x4 screw) wouldn't start. this is in the winter and the truck is always plugged in.
Sorry its a looong read but the issue seems to be so random with no rhyme or reason as to why it won't start for a while then all of a sudden start with no issue.

I could unlock the doors remotely and when I put the key in all the cab lights came on, radio came on, fan started going, but it won't turn over when I turn the key, won't even try. It might make one small "click" noise but thats about it, and that does not happen all the time just every once and a while. I ohm'd out all the fuses that appeared to have to do with the starter circuit and solenoid and they're all fine.

Invited buddy to come over and boos truck, while his pickup was running we hooked up the leads and left them on for a half hour then I tried to start.

Started! success! engine light came on, no battery light. let it idle for 2 hours.

thought it was safe to drive, took it to post office, turned it off for literally 3 minutes.

came out and its D-E-A-D, remote unlock won't work, lights won't come on absolutely nothing. worse than before now.

called buddy over again, boosted me, it fired up! success! now both the check engine light and battery light are on. okay I gotta have a dead battery.

drove it home, had buddy follow. pulled into driveway, turned pick up off, didn't even take key out of the ignition and tried to start it immediately after shutting it off. won't turn over. soon cab lights go out.

get ride up to ford buy brand new battery. more cranking amps. have them put it on their booster.

go home and plug in the truck, try and get buddy to boost it again, Now boosting does nothing, lights come back on but truck won't turn over. won't even try. try this for a while. electrician buddy come over (extremely smart guy) goes through some fuses, we crawl under, look at the starter seems normal no loose wires. he can't get it to start either. give up call it a day.

NEXT DAY
call ford and book it in "umm we can't get you in until 8 days from now…" nice. "Well I'm gonna try and get it started and drop it off for you guys today anyway and you can keep it in your lot until you can work on it" they agree. I work week in week out and was going to work soon and don't need my pickup so I figured that was the best thing to do.

go to ford and grab my new battery, take it home and meter it. 13.6v good to go. put it in. lights come on. won't turn over. damn. that didn't fix a thing.
buddy comes over again, try boosting, won't work, hook my own plug in booster up and put my meter on the battery, try and start, battery is drawing amps and trying to do its job. still no turn over. no click, no solenoid, nothing.
take battery booster off and close hood.

truck is dead in the water, lights and fans and radio all come on all the time though. battery light always comes on. even with the new battery before my first try. leave if for a bit. come back and try again. nothing. give up.

DAY 3
on a desperate whim before resorting to call a tow truck to haul it off to ford I go and try to start it. put key in, all lights come one (remember its only just plugged in nothing else) turn the key and it fires up like nothing happened!
no battery light, no check engine.

Runs perfect for the next couple days, like nothing happened.like an idiot I assumed it was just the battery and thought it was over. don't take it to ford.

it runs great for a week. then dies again. (and its like 5 Celsius out so its not the cold) same issues. won't fur over. I book it into ford. spend all day trying to get it running, vehicle boosting, plug in boosting, even got a friend to push it a little trying to jump start it. nothing.

then all of a sudden randomly it fires up like it never happened, again, no warning lights.

I take it to ford, tel the service reps know whats been going on. leave it for them idling in the lot. cause it probably won't start again after it gets shutoff.
they take it.

I head off to work.

3 DAYS LATER.

ford calls me, they went to move it into the shop and it started fine. I tell them it does that, they just gotta keep trying to start it till it happens again. they say they'll try twice a day till it happens.

1 WEEK LATER.
I call for asking whats up. they say one day it didn't start, but they had to reschedule it back into the shop and it won't get in there again until the end of the month…. greeeeaaaattttt.

2 WEEKS LATER. its in the shop. they have no warning lights and say nothing about seeing any codes. mech figures in the voltage regulator thats overcharging the batteries and killing them, my new battery is toast apparently. They say I need a new alternator and battery. $1400. "ugh, whatever if its gonna fix the issue and it needs it, get it" still doesn't make sense to me as to why its randomly failing to start then randomly being ok and starting but whatever.

3 DAYS LATER
the truck has been the shop for a helluva long time now. they call me its fixed. yippee! I go to pick it up. in the bill here is war they had written up.

"voltage regulator in alienator (typo I assume?) is faulty, alienator (again?) is overcharging battery. *** a result both alt and bat need to be replaced. Took out air intake and fenderliner to access the alternator. (there ya go!) Replaced alternator and pt everything back together and changed battery, road tested, veh, good."

I started it, paid the bill and drove off the lot. drove around for a bit, happy to get my truck back after like a month of not having it. pull into the drive. turn it off, plug it in.

next day dead. thats right now. same issue. won't turn over, lights in cab and stuff will come on though. battery and check engine light back on.

anyone have any idea what the problem could be? cause clearly Ford hasn't a clue.
Its on the better booster right now but like in the past I don't think it will do a thing.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:35 PM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

Do you see any voltage drop when you try to start it? Have you tried tapping the starter when it won't start? Also, check the connections (both pos. and neg.) to the starter and block.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:10 PM

Received 613 Likes on 497 Posts

my question is why doesn't warranty cover this?
my suggestion is starter relay, or starter itself
Old 01-04-2014, 05:30 PM

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

First off I think you need a refund my man. Dead batteries do not start trucks. Not the battery if it did sometimes start the truck. I agree it is most likely the starter or starter connections. Probably a loose ground. Loosen, clean and retighten the ground on the starter. My 2 cents for what that's worth.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My truck just did this too....just the first round of your symptoms. Lights on in the dash, etc. and CLICK...nothing. On phone with service at local dealer and he says to get it jumped and bring it and they will look at it today.

Jumped it, started fine and drove it down.

Called today and they said it started up fine, no issues, full cranking amps and all. Give it back and I cross my fingers it won't happen again.

Not promising after reading your thread! I have 39,700 miles so in the end i would have had to pay for a new battery if it didn't start because I didn't buy the extended after 36,000 miles....AND TO BOOT, they are OUT of batteries at 8 different warehouses he tells me. So if they were to replace he wouldn't have one to do it. Ugh.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My truck is now doing the same thing. Wont start just clicks on then a few seconds later clicks off. No cranking. Try a couple of times then finally it will start. When it does start it cranks strong. No CEL or battery lights either, just won't start. Thinking something in the starting cycle. Going to call dealership today see what they say.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:19 AM

Received 426 Likes on 291 Posts

Of the 3 no starts "ALL" are 2011's? Perhaps coincidence but maybe not…..
Old 01-23-2014, 10:22 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

For what it's worth ---

I've been having similar no crank issues on my '12 that began last winter.
The starter was frozen and the truck had to be towed to the dealer for replacing. The new one did have a couple of intermittant *freeze-ups* shortly after installation but would eventually break free to crank.

One year to the day , this winter , the same thing happened. Vehicle towed in and starter replaced. The service department were scratching their heads as to why.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by 07rattle
My truck is now doing the same thing. Wont start just clicks on then a few seconds later clicks off. No cranking. Try a couple of times then finally it will start. When it does start it cranks strong. No CEL or battery lights either, just won't start. Thinking something in the starting cycle. Going to call dealership today see what they say.
Any news from the dealership, 07rattle? Once you've had your appointment, feel free to contact me if you need any additional assistance. In your PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:10 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

For all of you "no-start" guys do you use battery tenders/maintainers?
If so, are they connected to the battery directly? (to the + and - terminals)

Quick Reply: 2011 eco won't turn over (intermittent) anyone deal with this?