Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Blinker issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 12:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default 2011 Blinker issue

I have a 2011 Lariat SC I purchased used about a month ago. This weekend I suddenly have a blinker issue. My right blinker will only flash 3 times like the lane change signal, right side is fine. I found a similar issue on a search but that problem apparently corrected itself near as I can tell from the thread. I just wondered if the problem was something common to the model and what might be the cause. I figure a dealer would ding me $300-$400 if the switch is bad. Not exactly what I want to do for a vehicle I just purchased. If I can verify the switch is the problem is it something that could be changed myself, practically? Thanks for the help.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:37 PM

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts

well I would suggest checking the bulbs first! I know that normally if you have a bad bulb that is would do a fast blink. normal is 80 blinks per minute and fault or bad bulb is 160 blinks per minute. But I have seen weird things happen... do you by chance have any led bulbs in? Don't get me wrong I think you are right with the switch but if they had replaced the oem bulbs with a led it could give you a problem... just worth checking but it seems that the contact in the switch isn't sending the signal to the BCM. it could be caused by dirt in the switch contact or a broken contact.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by mamonti
well I would suggest checking the bulbs first! I know that normally if you have a bad bulb that is would do a fast blink. normal is 80 blinks per minute and fault or bad bulb is 160 blinks per minute. But I have seen weird things happen... do you by chance have any led bulbs in? Don't get me wrong I think you are right with the switch but if they had replaced the oem bulbs with a led it could give you a problem... just worth checking but it seems that the contact in the switch isn't sending the signal to the BCM. it could be caused by dirt in the switch contact or a broken contact.
I'll double check the bulbs, they all work and I think they are all OEM. The blinker worked for several weeks. This just developed over the weekend. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:25 PM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 68bucks
I'll double check the bulbs, they all work and I think they are all OEM. The blinker worked for several weeks. This just developed over the weekend. Thanks for the reply.
Sorry, I have to ask. Are you sure you're not just experiencing what is actually intended design? When you apply slight pressure to the blinker, it will only blink 3 times because a slight touch is meant for lane changes. When you apply more pressure, it will stay on until you flick it back, or when the wheel straightens out.

When you use tow/haul mode, does it blink 5 times?
Old 09-30-2013, 05:38 PM

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts

pretty sure he is hitting the second detent. the switch has two detents one for the lane change (3 time blink) and the second one for turning (up to 2 miles). I haven't had the switch out to see what the contacts look like but it could be something stupid as a small piece of dirt, or lint getting in the way of the contact. You could possibly use an air hose if you have one and try blowing it in the switch. Another thing I use to do as a knowledge point is to call the dealer and see if they stock the switch. This wouldn't be a normal stock part unless they are having problems with them!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:55 PM

Received 102 Likes on 69 Posts

definately sounds like a bad multifunction switch
Old 10-01-2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by HunterSmitty
Sorry, I have to ask. Are you sure you're not just experiencing what is actually intended design? When you apply slight pressure to the blinker, it will only blink 3 times because a slight touch is meant for lane changes. When you apply more pressure, it will stay on until you flick it back, or when the wheel straightens out.

When you use tow/haul mode, does it blink 5 times?
I'm sure I have been making the second point on the switch. Both sides worked at first now the right side only does the three blink deal while the left continues to operate properly. I haven't even played around with the tow mode to see if that function works. I think I will contact the dealer and ask about the switch availability and price. It might not be too big of a deal to replace, maybe. I would at least save the labor cost that way. I might pull the cover off and take a look at the switch for anything obvious and blow a little air in it and see if that helps. Thanks again for the comments and ideas, I'll let you know if I figure it out.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I know this link is for the Ford Explorer, but it has some great pictures of the turn signal mechanism. It shows how to modify the module to act like the old turn signals with no resistance or notchy feel.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=388119

May help with your F150 disassemble if you decide to do it yourself. Once the weather gets into the 70's (hopefully another week or two) I will be trying this on my 2013 Edge. I hate the way the turn signal works and how often I end up flashing my lights trying to use the signal!
The following users liked this post:
68bucks (10-02-2013)
Old 11-23-2014, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem going on in my 2011 fx4 it started just once and a while, so I thought it was just me not getting past the lane change mode. Now it dose it all the time, I have to hold it on to keep it blinking. It only dose it on left turns. Did you figure it out? If so what was it? My truck has 95000 miles on it, the blinker started acting up about at 85000 miles
Old 11-23-2014, 07:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just changed the multifunction switch on my 2011 F150 xlt. Mine was stuck on the right turn and would not disengage. Felt like an old man driving around with the right signal on. The switch was $22.00 from Tasca Ford,$29 with shipping and it took all of 10 minutes to change it. Found a youtube for changing it on an F250, and it was the same process on the F150.

Quick Reply: 2011 Blinker issue