Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 5.0 random misfire...I think

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 10:05 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default 2011 5.0 random misfire...I think

Hello F150Forum! Longtime lurker first time poster!

I picked up a 2011 FX4 5.0 about two months ago. The truck was a late model year, Oct 2011 build date, with only 5200 miles. I took it to the dealer once for a transmission reflash a month after I go it and other than that, it's been pretty much perfect. However, a few weeks ago I started to notice what felt like a misfire. I'd be on my way to work just stopped at a red light and you'd feel the engine hiccup briefly. It usually happens just a few seconds after coming to a complete stop and only happen once. It would be totally random and I can not find a pattern. It would go days without doing it, but then the next day at every other light, you'd feel it hiccup a few seconds after coming to a stop.

We just took the truck on it's first real highway road trip since I've had it over the weekend. Put just over 400 miles on it. While loafing along with the cruise set at 70ish, from time to time you would feel the same hiccup while driving. Again, totally random, no pattern at all. I could go 30mins with nothing, but then a few hiccups within a few mins of each other. My wife never noticed, but it was easy for me to feel. It's just like the engine hits a dead spot for a fraction of a second.

There is no check engine light and I confirmed with my SCT XCal2 that there are no codes stored. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow to get their thoughts, but my concern is that since there is no code thrown, they will do nothing. But I'm going to ask if there is any tests they can do on the coil on plugs or injectors etc. My concern is, I'm going to be towing my mustang on a 700 mile trip in a few weeks. So I obviously don't want this to get worse...

Any ideas here? Anyone else experience this? The odd thing is, it only started doing it after the truck was at the dealer for the trans reflash. Maybe total coincidence, but just wanted to throw it out there. I appreciate anyone's input!
Old 09-16-2012, 06:39 PM

Ran a few errands with the truck this afternoon. It hiccuped once at the first stoplight, but never after that. I hate random problems. Anyone have any input?
Old 09-17-2012, 12:29 PM

I just got off the phone with my dealer. They said to bring it in even though it's not throwing a code. Apparently they have a way to determine if a code is in a pending state about to be thrown. He also said they can data log the truck while driving and also look at cylinder history to see if anything has been flagged. I also mentioned my annoying squeak/creaking passenger seat that happens at times. Fingers crossed.

I'll update this thread after my trip to the dealer in case anyone in curious. Which at this point is just me.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:24 PM

Back from the dead with a follow-up. The dealer found nothing, no codes stored and no pending codes either. They looked in Mode 6 or whatever it's called where they can take a deep dive through the data from the PCM.

I am 100% convinced it IS NOT the engine that is causing the hiccup. It has to be the trans. The way it happens when I come to a complete stop, 2secs later, slight hiccup through the truck. It has to be the trans doing something and I think it's what I feel at times on the highway. However, I have not felt it while driving in quite some time.

The crazy thing is, it can go away for a week or so at a time. Then at a stop light, hiccup, out of nowhere. Sometimes I get two blips in quick succession. If I come to a very slow stop... just creeping, you can sometimes feel the hiccup happen when you are just barely rolling, but not nearly as bad as when you are completely stopped.

Any ideas??? I think I'm going to have to wait for it to get worse before I'll be able to get it addressed. It needs to be far more repeatable then it is right now.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:37 PM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

stein78, is it possible both feelings have to do with the tranny downshifting from 3-1, and the slip yoke (bump stop)? Everyone has different ways to describe certain issues, so I just figured I would mention it.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with the slip-yoke issue and I believe this is different. It happens 2-3secs after I've come to a complete stop. It feels like the truck stumbles for a brief second.

There has to be something the transmission is doing when slowing down after the 3-1 downshift occurs. Like I said, if I just creep along after slowing down, I can feel it while just barely rolling. Then it will not do it once I come to a complete stop. It's harder to sense when rolling, much more pronounced when already at a complete stop.

Again, totally random and I can't reproduce it on demand.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:54 PM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah, its hard to diagnose this stuff on a forum when it doesn't sound very common. The TSB for the slip yoke is here. May not be applicably for your issue, but you never know.

TSB data for: 2011 FORD F-150
Bulletin Number: TSB-11-5-7
Sequence Number: 10039120
Date: 20110510
Component Name: 105300 POWER TRAIN DRIVELINE DRIVESHAFT
Make: FORD
Model: F-150
Year: 2011
Summary: FORD: 2011 F150. WHEN STOPPING OR ACCELERATING THERE IS A CLUNK NOISE OR CHIRP/BUMP/SLIP FROM THE DRIVESHAFT. *RM
The following users liked this post:
Wanted33 (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

stein, like you I think it may be the tranny. I had mine reflashed over a year ago, and recently it has started doing close to what you subscribe. Doesn't do it on the highway, but at starts and stops you can feel a slight slip/bump/shutter from time to time. I've not let it worry me enough to go straight to the dealer, but they certainly will know if it gets worse or I take it in for service. Since the thread has arisen again, keep us updated. It may even help me if you find the cause.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:45 PM

Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts

You know after reading this thread, I am starting to wonder. I have not had my tranny flashed but have noticed for some time that I feel this when on the highway too. I've watched the RPM gauge to see if it drops and don't see anything. Was figuring it was the road or gust of front end wind. Now I wonder if it was something with the truck after all....
Old 10-22-2012, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Wanted33
stein, like you I think it may be the tranny. I had mine reflashed over a year ago, and recently it has started doing close to what you subscribe. Doesn't do it on the highway, but at starts and stops you can feel a slight slip/bump/shutter from time to time. I've not let it worry me enough to go straight to the dealer, but they certainly will know if it gets worse or I take it in for service. Since the thread has arisen again, keep us updated. It may even help me if you find the cause.
Will do. Albeit my case is going to have to get far more predictable before I'll take it to the dealer. I complained about an engine missfire last time, so I sent them down the wrong path. I'm hoping it starts doing it at every stop light so I can take a tech for a ride.

Originally Posted by RDFTS
You know after reading this thread, I am starting to wonder. I have not had my tranny flashed but have noticed for some time that I feel this when on the highway too. I've watched the RPM gauge to see if it drops and don't see anything. Was figuring it was the road or gust of front end wind. Now I wonder if it was something with the truck after all....
I've had that same feeling. Thinking it was something in the road etc. But then study the road and realize it was just redone and perfectly smooth. It's the trans, no doubt in my mind. It's doing some goofy stuff.
The following users liked this post:
Wanted33 (10-22-2012)

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 random misfire...I think