Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 5.0 oil leak, front cover? front main seal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2011 5.0 oil leak, front cover? front main seal?

my 2011 King ranch seems to have developed a moderate oil leak over the past 10,000 miles. I cant pin point the source yet, i did power wash and de grease the oil areas as best i can after changing the oil last night and im going to frequently look it over. the oil seems to be all over the front cover, even up by the waterpump, and it also covers the bottom of the oil pan back to the trans as it flows back. I will post a pic soon as i can, im trying to find out if there is a semi common source of oil leaks on these high mile coyote engines. i plan to supercharge the truck soon and wanted to remedy this issue before or while im doing the install. any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-03-2019, 10:15 AM

Old 04-03-2019, 01:57 PM

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,725 Posts

There's been a couple with pan gasket leaks, but that's all I've seen. And that's not exactly an engine-specific issue.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
There's been a couple with pan gasket leaks, but that's all I've seen. And that's not exactly an engine-specific issue.
yeah my searches turned up a few leaking pan gaskets. But I’m thinking this is leaky from higher up, or at the front of the crank and being sling around
Old 04-03-2019, 05:08 PM

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,725 Posts

You are sure it's oil? Coolant leaks has been a constant discussion.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
You are sure it's oil? Coolant leaks has been a constant discussion.
i checked all connections on cooling system and see no leaks, resivoir has never dropped at all. Def smells like oil not coolant
Old 04-04-2019, 08:32 PM

Checked today and it seems to have oil in the crank pulley/damper.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KingRanchKovacs
Checked today and it seems to have oil in the crank pulley/damper.
If I were you I would do a few checks to make sure it is 100% oil. I believe your issue might be coolant. Put a white piece of paper below the leak and see what color it is. Or, if you're willing, dip your finger in it and give it a taste (yes, I've done this and it's probably not advised but a little coolant never hurt anyone lol). If it has a sweet taste it is coolant (no bull****. I'm not saying take a gulp of the stuff. just a small drop on your finger). I had a leak. Took it to the shop who ran a pressure test for coolant leaks and nothing showed up. Got on this forum and found there is a small o-ring inside the coolant hose that warps and gets out of round. Went to the dealership and bought a new o-ring (less than $2). Changed out the o-ring and leak was gone.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:32 PM

Fresh oil inside the crank camper pulley
Originally Posted by JakeEllis43
If I were you I would do a few checks to make sure it is 100% oil. I believe your issue might be coolant. Put a white piece of paper below the leak and see what color it is. Or, if you're willing, dip your finger in it and give it a taste (yes, I've done this and it's probably not advised but a little coolant never hurt anyone lol). If it has a sweet taste it is coolant (no bull****. I'm not saying take a gulp of the stuff. just a small drop on your finger). I had a leak. Took it to the shop who ran a pressure test for coolant leaks and nothing showed up. Got on this forum and found there is a small o-ring inside the coolant hose that warps and gets out of round. Went to the dealership and bought a new o-ring (less than $2). Changed out the o-ring and leak was gone.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:27 AM

I have about the same issue where I find a leak on the driveway, which is a 1-2 degree slop. And no matter how a park, forward or reversed, it appears to leak in the same spot. I can not tell if it is the oil pan or the Bell housing. Also have added two 1oz bottles of UV Dye and it appears to be coming from the rear of the oil pan. I will look tonight and try to take some pictures with the UV Dye. I have added a lot more pictures here imgur Post

!!UPDATE: I took my truck into to Ford to have them look at the leak and it came back with an Oil & Transmission Pan leak with Output Shaft leak. They wanted $1400 to do all the repairs. So I went and purchased the Oil pan Gasket (BL3Z-6710-A) Oil Filter (AA5Z-6714-A), Transmission Pan Gasket (BL3Z-7A191-C), Transmission Filter (BL3Z-7A098-A), Output Shaft seals (6L2Z-7052-CA, 9L3Z-7052-A), and Output Shaft Nut (6L2Z-7045-AA) for $251. Now just need to order the Output shaft Seal Installer tool (OTC 307-638). Anyone want to help record video of the Output Shaft procedure? I am unable to find it on Youtube.

Last edited by SM0R3S; 06-08-2019 at 08:25 AM. Reason: The origin of leak verified

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 oil leak, front cover? front main seal?