Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011-2013 Suspension Swap....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 11:46 PM

Received 281 Likes on 180 Posts

Default 2011-2013 Suspension Swap....

As a few folks on here know, I have a 2011 Platinum 4X4 with a Fabtech 4-inch suspension system and a 2013 FX4 with a Zone 2-inch leveling system.

I currently have a buyer for my 2011 Plat but he does not want the lift and wheels/tires (I still have the factory Plat wheels so no issue there). Sooooooooo…I am thinking about salvaging the Fabtech system and installing the 4-inch lift on the FX4 (which I think would look pretty good too). I don’t have the time, skilled help, nor tool set to do this myself. Therefore, I am going to have my shop swap out the suspension systems between both trucks (the Fabtech 4-inch will be removed from the Plat and re-installed on the FX4 while the Zone 2-inch system will be removed from the FX4 and re-installed on the Plat).

My shop has done this before for other customers who wanted lifts removed and they believe it will be no issue since I will have all the needed factory parts (that were previously discarded) available from the FX4, but I just want to check with the good folks here on F150 Forum who are "in-the-know" on any concerns/issues I should be aware of?

I understand that the 4-inch system's front coil over shocks will have to be transferred over while retaining the coil springs in both trucks.

Since the Plat will not have a rear cross member once the Fabtech system’s replacement crossmember is transferred over to the FX4, they will have to cut and re-weld the factory crossmember out of the FX4 and re-weld onto the Plat. I assume the same for the front crossmember.

The FX4's steering knuckles will have to go over to the Plat since the Fabtech replacement knuckles come over to the FX4.

The biggest issue (I think) is removing the rear differential on the Plat since it had to be cut; so have to replace it with the one from the FX4 (which saves modifying another one).

The rear differential mounts will have to be salvaged off the FX4 and reused on the Plat. I am worried about how they can remove and re-weld the rear lower control arm pockets between both vehicles as they are welded to the frame but the Plat’s have been cut and modified?

The rear blocks of both trucks will have to be swapped.

I know I have to swap out the tires; the 35-inch Nittos are going to rub on the stock FX4 wheels with the Fabtech suspension. I really wanted to retain my factory FX4 wheels but the only way to do so would be to install some same-bolt pattern wheel adapters that can be torqued (no slip on spacers). Otherwise, I am going to have to order some aftermarket wheels again (the chrome Moto Metals on my Plat will not look good on the FX4).

My newly purchased 33-inch Duratracs on the FX4 are going to be mounted on the Plat’s stock 20-inch wheels and re-installed. Both trucks will need to be re-aligned. But am I missing anything critical (besides my brain)?

Thanks for any (constructive) ideas or feedback….like, “don’t do it, you idiot”…lol!

Last edited by Desert Dawg; 01-21-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:33 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I think both of your trucks are amazing, I am not sure how the market is in your area but it sounds like it would be easier to just find another buyer for the platinum? Your FX4 is one of the better looking ones I've seen on a while and I wouldn't change it. Just my 2 cents
Old 01-21-2013, 12:37 AM
swazispencer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I removed my 4" Rancho lift off my 2010 FX4. So i know enough to say, it's possible to lift, and to return to stock. But, as far as swapping parts, that may be tricky. Good luck man! I hope it all works out.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:14 AM

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Should be a direct swap. His platinum will just have the more sport/off road tuned FX4 suspension under it, not that there was likely a huge difference between the two OE suspensions from the factory.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:25 AM

Received 216 Likes on 163 Posts

wow sounds like alot of work, hope it works out for you!!.....id keep your stock rims and use the Billet Bolt on Spacers......
Ohh what a party it will be doing all that.....

cheers!!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:41 AM

Received 281 Likes on 180 Posts

Thanks guys!

To be honest, I love how both setups look but truth be told I do think I prefer the slightly higher/tougher stance of the 4-inch lift. So part of my logic is that it will cost me about 1/2 as much as shelling out a couple grand again for another lift. Actually, there is no logic...lol.

Anyway, I have to talk to my shop a bit more just to make sure everything will be good. I am pretty confident about the lift install on the FX4 but a lot more nervous about making sure things turn out good on the Platinum.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:01 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Do both trucks have an E-Locker rear diff? I wouldn't want to lose the e-locker off the FX4, and put it in a platinum that wouldn't even be able to use it. (If it doesn't have the correct 4x4 switch) Just a thought.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:42 AM
ObD
Platinum Ego Boostin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trade both trucks in on a new Raptor. No worries, be happy.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Desert Dawg
As a few folks on here know, I have a 2011 Platinum 4X4 with a Fabtech 4-inch suspension system and a 2013 FX4 with a Zone 2-inch leveling system.

I currently have a buyer for my 2011 Plat but he does not want the lift and wheels/tires (I still have the factory Plat wheels so no issue there). Sooooooooo…I am thinking about salvaging the Fabtech system and installing the 4-inch lift on the FX4 (which I think would look pretty good too). I don’t have the time, skilled help, nor tool set to do this myself. Therefore, I am going to have my shop swap out the suspension systems between both trucks (the Fabtech 4-inch will be removed from the Plat and re-installed on the FX4 while the Zone 2-inch system will be removed from the FX4 and re-installed on the Plat).

My shop has done this before for other customers who wanted lifts removed and they believe it will be no issue since I will have all the needed factory parts (that were previously discarded) available from the FX4, but I just want to check with the good folks here on F150 Forum who are "in-the-know" on any concerns/issues I should be aware of?

I understand that the 4-inch system's front coil over shocks will have to be transferred over while retaining the coil springs in both trucks.

Since the Plat will not have a rear cross member once the Fabtech system’s replacement crossmember is transferred over to the FX4, they will have to cut and re-weld the factory crossmember out of the FX4 and re-weld onto the Plat. I assume the same for the front crossmember.

The FX4's steering knuckles will have to go over to the Plat since the Fabtech replacement knuckles come over to the FX4.

The biggest issue (I think) is removing the rear differential on the Plat since it had to be cut; so have to replace it with the one from the FX4 (which saves modifying another one).

The rear differential mounts will have to be salvaged off the FX4 and reused on the Plat. I am worried about how they can remove and re-weld the rear lower control arm pockets between both vehicles as they are welded to the frame but the Plat’s have been cut and modified?

The rear blocks of both trucks will have to be swapped.

I know I have to swap out the tires; the 35-inch Nittos are going to rub on the stock FX4 wheels with the Fabtech suspension. I really wanted to retain my factory FX4 wheels but the only way to do so would be to install some same-bolt pattern wheel adapters that can be torqued (no slip on spacers). Otherwise, I am going to have to order some aftermarket wheels again (the chrome Moto Metals on my Plat will not look good on the FX4).

My newly purchased 33-inch Duratracs on the FX4 are going to be mounted on the Plat’s stock 20-inch wheels and re-installed. Both trucks will need to be re-aligned. But am I missing anything critical (besides my brain)?

Thanks for any (constructive) ideas or feedback….like, “don’t do it, you idiot”…lol!

Unless the price is in your favor, I wouldn't do it. Make him buy it as is. If not, I'm sure someone else will buy it. This is NM and lifted trucks sell here. It can be done though. Here's some of my thoughts.

The rear will be the easiest. It's just blocks and shocks. The front end will be more involved. The front diff has been cut so it will need to stay with the lift. Is the gear ratio the same on both trucks? If not you will need to figure out if a gear swap or swapping rear diffs also, along with a programmer for both trucks, is better for your situation. Welding the inside of the rear control arm pocket shouldn't be that big of a deal. You will need a LCA cam kit to get the alignment back (and to help hold it) on the platty.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:34 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

given my (lack of) knowledge about what you're asking, i'll just keep my comments to a minimum.
I would tell this buyer to buy it as is or take a hike.

sounds like a lot of things that "could potentially maybe" go wrong during / after the swap, and of course you will be the first the buyer will call if anything happens, major or not.

not worth the trouble unless you found a sucker to buy it for $5k more than what it's worth...

Quick Reply: 2011-2013 Suspension Swap....