Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 - 2012 f150 3.5L Transmission Random Downshift

Old 08-18-2016, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 2011 - 2012 f150 3.5L Transmission Random Downshift

So Frustrating

I purchased my 2011 back in June of this year. A week into the purchase I began noticing a lot of problems with my transmission. Hard 1-2 and 2-1 which I expected however 3rd was also shifting very hard and it would skip 2nd often. I went to ford told them I was having a "shudder" feel and very hard shifting 1-3. They of course did nothing the first time, 2nd time engine light finally came on( this is week two of owning the truck fyi) and all 6 spark plugs where cracked so they were replaced and ruled my transmission as good with no faults. From that point forward I brought the truck in 5 more times. In that process it consisted of many test drives, TSB updates and reprogramming which did nothing but the make the problem more pronounced. After reading the entire manual pertaining to the 6R80 I found nothing that would cause my truck to be in 5 and slam into 3,2 or 1 abruptly stopping my truck. I am not a mechanic, it was terrifying and i almost got into multiple accidents. I finally discovered the recall

Recall Date: APR 25, 2016
Recall Title: POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAMMING
NHTSA Recall Number: AWAITING#
Ford Recall Number: 16S19
Recall Description: SOME VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE AN INTERMITTENT LOSS OF THE TRANSMISSION OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR (OSS) SIGNAL TO THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE, POTENTIALLY RESULTING IN A TEMPORARY, UNINTENDED DOWNSHIFT INTO FIRST GEAR.

Now this came out after I bought my truck (3 Days) but ford was aware of the situation since April and continued to play dumb with me telling me to continue driving and if anything happens we will all deal with it then. Do not be fooled because of the recall ford is "not" responsible for the accident if you get rear ended like i almost did 3 times now.

I then spoke with the 800 number and filed a claim against the ford dealership and after speaking with a Service Rep for my district he informed me of the recall warranty:
FSA Title: MOLDED LEADFRAME EXTENDED COVERAGE WARRANTY
Field Service Action Number: 16N02

This Warranty covers the truck to have the leadframe fixed prior to the program coming out. Ford is trying to push using the program instead of replacing the lead frame, money wise i get it but this truck is dangerous and should have been fixed immediately. Also one thing to know about the safety recall all the program does is delete the ability for the transmission to shift into first when the sensor on the lead frame ****s up don't try to push getting it replaced. My dealership just ordered the part this afternoon so I am waiting for that to arrive to drop my truck off.

Last edited by Catelyn.Rose; 08-18-2016 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Grammatical Errors
Old 09-22-2016, 07:19 AM

I just wanted to update this.

I used the lead frame warranty for the truck instead of waiting for the program to come out! Its 100% fixed and cost nothing! If you have the recall you have the extended warranty for the lead frame as well. Just look your vin number up on fords website to see if this is your issue.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine does this. Thanks for the info.
The following users liked this post:
Catelyn.Rose (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 02:51 PM

You're very welcome! This was really frustrating and dangerous! The dealership fought a little about using the warranty but I called corporate for Ford and the Rep for the Ford told the dealership to use the warranty!
Old 10-04-2016, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FordService, please help. I have the transmission speed sensor recall on my 2011 F150. The problem surfaced before the recall was issued. I had it repaired at my local transmission shop. Ford Customer Care told me to send in the receipt, with the required vehicle info and they'd provide a refund for the repair. Two months after submitting the paperwork to Ford Customer Care, they've sent a letter rejecting the claim, simply because the claim wasn't submitted through a dealer. Please help, I'm getting the run around.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2016, 02:59 PM

If I where you I would contact the dealership you purchased your vehicle from and ask for the name of the Service Rep for their store/district. Get his name and call customer care requesting to file an official case file with the Service rep. Your complaint will go directly to him, ask who ever answers the phone to contact him/her while you still connected with them and you will gladly hold. Make sure you express how dangerous this was and that your truck malfunctioning almost caused accidents and you are requesting him to override the official rejection letter because of this.

That's how I got mine fixed before the recall program came out.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:01 PM

Default Thanks, Catelyn Rose

Originally Posted by Catelyn.Rose
If I where you I would contact the dealership you purchased your vehicle from and ask for the name of the Service Rep for their store/district. Get his name and call customer care requesting to file an official case file with the Service rep. Your complaint will go directly to him, ask who ever answers the phone to contact him/her while you still connected with them and you will gladly hold. Make sure you express how dangerous this was and that your truck malfunctioning almost caused accidents and you are requesting him to override the official rejection letter because of this.

That's how I got mine fixed before the recall program came out.
Catelyn Rose,
Thanks. I have already had the recall repair work done at an independent shop. Now that there is a recall, I just need Ford to reimburse me for what I paid out of pocket to have the recall repair done. Ford Customer Care said to send them the paperwork. After receiving it, they now say it's denied because I submitted the paperwork to them instead of a dealer. Ford Customer Service, please help.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:23 PM

I have a 2012 F-150 Flex Fuel 5.0. Last night it started downshifting and slamming into 1st gear while driving. I stopped for a hour and half errand got started on the road again and the truck did the same thing but a "wrench" appeared in my dash display. I took it to my local mechanic who diagnosed the problem with P0731 - Molded Lead Frame. He indicated Ford had issued a service bulletin stating a "free" fix of the problem. The truck is at Ford now but Ford is saying my VIN is not part of the recall. My truck was built in January 2012 at the Kansas City plant. What would make the molded lead frame go bad if it is not part of the recall?

Last edited by kamachsm; 11-11-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:20 AM

Yeah that is the issue they are having. They are using a reprogramming "fix" but your truck will have the Molded lead frame warranty if the program doesn't fix it. I skipped the program and forced them to fix it since i was having serious issues with this while driving down the highway and the program wasn't out yet.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:03 PM

Just paid over $900 on my 2013 for the Lead Frame issue, I see they had a recall for the 2011 and 2012, anyone know when they will recall the 2013?

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 - 2012 f150 3.5L Transmission Random Downshift