Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 steering wheel/console shifter lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:08 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Default 2010 steering wheel/console shifter lights not working

Well I made a big boo boo and now I'm trying to fix the mistake. So heres the story: I've been having battery issues the last week or so (magnified by the colder than average temps here in N. Florida/S. Georgia with lows in the mid to high teens) and yesterday morning I had to jump start my truck at 5 A.M. as I was leaving the house to go duck hunting and the battery was dead. In my half asleep and freezing my *** off stupor I decided it was a good idea to just grab the battery out of my boat and jump it off of that. Of course the battery had no red or black coloring on the pos/neg terminals and I apparently thought I had it right when I hooked the cables up. Needless to say there were some sparks and a little smoke. As soon as I realized what I had done I disconnected the cables and reconnected them the correct way, jumping the truck successfully and going on my way. As I'm almost to the lake I realize the buttons on my steering wheel (cruise, audio controls, etc) are not lit up, nor is the back light for the gear shifter in the console).

When I got home I checked fuse #80 which according to the manual coordinates to the steering wheel lights. Fuse was fine...

Just looking for some guidance as to what to check next. Im thinking the incorrect orientation of the cables shorted something out but I just don't know what...is there some kind of relay or separate fuse that controls the lighting of the steering wheel and shifter?

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
kikinrifa06 (12-31-2023)
Old 01-09-2014, 10:43 PM

Received 613 Likes on 497 Posts

usually crossing terminals blow the fusible link by the battery, I'm surprised it started after that. I'd also check those fusible links
Old 01-09-2014, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by kidastra
usually crossing terminals blow the fusible link by the battery, I'm surprised it started after that. I'd also check those fusible links
As in the cable that runs from the battery to the fuse box under the hood?
Old 01-12-2014, 09:50 AM

Nobody else? Any ideas?
Old 01-12-2014, 11:21 AM

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Well I can't really help in regards to the shifter light as I had a column shifter, but I had a similar issue with the steering wheel controls. It was the sync fuse. All I did was disconnect the battery for 5-10 minutes or so, remove the fuse (I don't recall what # it was) and plug it back in and everything worked again.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:51 PM

I'll give it a shot
Old 01-13-2014, 08:01 PM

Ended up being fuse #10 on the interior fuse panel. Backlighting/puddle lamps. Thanks for the help fellas.
The following users liked this post:
Newbie 5 (01-02-2022)
Old 03-10-2015, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default nded up being fuse #10 on the interior fuse panel. Backlighting/puddle lamps.

I'm experiencing the exact same symptoms after I tried to boost my in-law's truck and he hooked the booster cables up backwards! The puddle light fuse is blown but it pops as soon as I insert a new one in there. Tried unplugging the battery for 10 minutes in case something was latched, but still popping the fuse. Should I be looking for a bad relay or some other component? Thanks.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HalfTon09
Well I can't really help in regards to the shifter light as I had a column shifter, but I had a similar issue with the steering wheel controls. It was the sync fuse. All I did was disconnect the battery for 5-10 minutes or so, remove the fuse (I don't recall what # it was) and plug it back in and everything worked again.
I have a 2010 king ranch and the steering wheel, puddle and the shifter lights are not working. Checked fuse # 10 and it was blown. Replaced the fuse and still no lights. Fuse is still good and I have 12 volts at the fuse. I will try this fix ASAP!
Old 04-28-2015, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tested all fusible links under the hood and all are OK. I guess the fact that the puddle\backlight fuse continues to pop, means that something else is fried. Anyone know the source for the LED lighting for the steering wheel? I assume there is a lighting module in the dash? Maybe I'll look there next. Cheers, BigKevy

Quick Reply: 2010 steering wheel/console shifter lights not working